• ...and so much more!
  • Derpacoon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Indy
    Hello everyone.

I have recently purchased the above holster for my S&W M&P40. It is an inside the waistband holster that is leather back with kydex molded to retain the gun. Anyways after wearing it around for a couple weeks the kydex has loosened up quite a bit, and the retention has lessened. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Yes it is IWB and when you snug the belt up there is more retention, but i'm just wondering if the looseness is in the design or not.

I am also aware of how to fix it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this occur since I have heard very highly of their products.

Thanks for looking.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    You can take a hair drier to the Kydex and mold it a bit to tighten it up a bit if it's an issue. Just don't get crazy with it.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I don't ever recall mine loosening up. I did use the hair dryer method on mine as I prefer more retention than it originally had though, so maybe that's why I never had it loosen up. Having said that, I don't know why or how it would loosen up. Your body and belt sandwich the holster for the retention pressure.

Are you sure your BELT is not stretching and causing there to be less pressure even though you are using the same belt hole? What kind of belt are you using?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've had my first Supertuck for 6 years now and it's still going strong. Your holster will loosen up some as it breaks in, but you should still have adequate retention when the holster is sandwiched against your body. As a matter of fact, it's your body pushing on the back side of the leather that contributes most of the pressure that holds the gun in the holster. So be sure you're checking it out with the holster on and you would normally wear it. If the gun still comes out easily then there may be a problem. Try contacting Crossbreed. They are top-notch folks, and Mark Craighead (late owner) was a wonderful guy to deal with. I'm sure his predecessors at the company have carried that on.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I have written about this a few times on here now. Yes, mine has done the same thing and I have increased the retention on the kydex 3 times. After the third time it seems to be perfect for me. I would also note that it is NOT the kydex but the leather that is breaking in causing it to decrease retention. I am also pretty skinny and had to slightly change the form of the kydex so it "wraps" around my hip. Now that I have done some teaks to it, it is extremely comfortable and has served me well for almost 3 years. In the future I would suggest adding "extra tight retention" in the comments when ordering from them.

Chetna

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    I have seen examples of the Leather breaking in. Does the horse hide have the same wear properties. For not that much money is it a better route.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I have seen examples of the Leather breaking in. Does the horse hide have the same wear properties. For not that much money is it a better route.

Honestly the horsehide seems a little stiffer (although not by much), but I don't think it will wear any different. I got the supertuck in horsehide and the SnapSlide in cowhide. They seem to break in about the same.

I paid extra for the horsehide mainly because of wearing it in the summer and their claim of it being more comfortable when it's warmer. I still don't know how true that is as I would need to wear a cowhide SuperTuck for a while in warm weather to come to a conclusion.

Top Bottom