• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should crossbows be legal during early archery without special permit?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I voted no also

Comparing them to a rifle is a stretch, they are only accurate out to 40 maybe 50 yards then the heavy bolt drops off fast.

Also most of them I have seen don't have open sights, just a scope mount, We don't want people hunting with no sights, do we?
    Most of your quality X bows will have either iron adjustable sights, or a low fix powered scope. I really don't think someone is going to try and use one of these without some type a sighting device.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    The same thing as a crossbow in my humble opinion. You look down the scope and pull the trigger.

I am a early season bowhunter and happy the way things are. What will allowing the crossbow into early archery season improve? They are already legal in the late season. Its not a question of whether its capable of taking game or should be legal durring the appropriate season. Yes on both accounts. I guess the real question is, when is the proper time to use them? Its not a bow, so I say, not durring early archery season.:twocents:
    A 30-06 goes bang and is a 600 yard weapon. An X bow goes twang and is the max a 50 yard weapon. I pull the trigger on my release when shooting my bow. When Indiana had it's first archery season, the weapon of choice was a stick and string. Now look what todays archery equipment has evolved into. I am a bowhunter who is willing to share the woods with X bow users.
    I doubt seriously you will even notice them.

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    the hardest part of bow hunting it setting up the shot..with a crossbow..all you got to do is cock it and point...i know i could at least triple the deer i have killed with my bow, if i would have used a crossbow instead.. guess i`m not one to like it easy...

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    trophy hunter - guess i`m not one to like it easy...[/quote said:
    Unless you are hunting with a longbow or recurve, shooting with your fingers and no sights from the ground you ARE doing it the easy way.:D

The thing about crossbows or any other weapon of choice for harvesting a deer is it is a choice. If you don't like a crossbow then stay with whatever you are using now. This has always been a hot topic it happened when compound bows came out ( I don't think P&Y honers bow kills with letoffs over 65% unless they changed this recently) or when in-line muzzleloaders came out. I heard people complain when handgun hunting frist became legal (They were saying that this would kill deer hunting that everyone would buy a 30-06 encore and shoot 300 yards and it would destroy the deer herd, look at the DNR numbers I think it was less than 1% of deer harvest was with a handgun)
    Anyway if crossbows get more people out hunting I'm all for it.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    The thing about crossbows or any other weapon of choice for harvesting a deer is it is a choice. If you don't like a crossbow then stay with whatever you are using now. This has always been a hot topic it happened when compound bows came out ( I don't think P&Y honers bow kills with letoffs over 65% unless they changed this recently) or when in-line muzzleloaders came out. I heard people complain when handgun hunting frist became legal (They were saying that this would kill deer hunting that everyone would buy a 30-06 encore and shoot 300 yards and it would destroy the deer herd, look at the DNR numbers I think it was less than 1% of deer harvest was with a handgun)

Im all for expanding our sport with more ethical hunters too! Anyone who has become proficient with a bow is welcome to join me in the woods in October. If you shoot a crossbow, or your one of those guys with an inline ML:rolleyes:, ill see you in the late season if I still have any tags left!

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Unless you are hunting with a longbow or recurve, shooting with your fingers and no sights from the ground you ARE doing it the easy way.:D

+1 Bosshoss. Good post.

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana

i have done it that way have you?????:D
    and yes p&y DO honor bow kills with bow over 65% let off fyi...
    and what i hunt with,bow and muzzloader only.. longest shot with muzzy.. 60yrds.. bow about 22..

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    i have done it that way have you?????:D

Yes I have done it that way, but not in a long time, and I still have my Bear kodiak magnum recurve (my 12th birthday present). We just moved this summer and I cleaned it up when we moved. I got the urge to hunt with it again. Maybe I'll get it out this spring after I am done bowfishing and see if I can hit anything with it.:)

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    Only way to have them in early season is with there own Lic.....We than can settle the crossbow issue for good by getting a license that defines it as a shooting tool of its own..........neither archery or firearm, a hybred.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    for physicaly disabled people only. early archery is quiet and not a hole lot of people out. when shotgun season opens everybody with a gun is in the woods tring to shoot something. i think gun hunters will just try to use crossbows to get into the woods earlier in the year. i dont know any archery hunters who would take one instead of their bow.

Top Bottom