• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    please i have no pics but, rich hand dominant, left eye closed, right eye down the sight. right shoulder staggered back, as feet, knees shoulder width apart knees bent. How wrong am i. iknow u want pics but just sitting here hinkng bout it. I'm shooting just left lil high. thanks everyone.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Shooting off target, contrary to popular belief, is caused by trigger control and sight alignment. All others are secondary. Try keeping both arms straight and rolling in your shoulders.

Also, google sight picture. If you are covering up target vs placing target on top, depending on your firearm can make a difference. Some guns are sighted differently.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Offering a critique will be difficult without being there in person, or at least seeing several pictures. Your description makes you sound like a Weaver shooter.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    please i have no pics but, rich hand dominant, left eye closed, right eye down the sight. right shoulder staggered back, as feet, knees shoulder width apart knees bent. How wrong am i. iknow u want pics but just sitting here hinkng bout it. I'm shooting just left lil high. thanks everyone.

Take my IP 101 at Marion County Fish and Game on May 12th and I will get you on target and squared away.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Take my IP 101 at Marion County Fish and Game on May 12th and I will get you on target and squared away.

Taking your class is on my list of things to do! I go to the range often, Not the worlds worst shot, defiantly not the best. It can't hurt to humble myself and learn some new tricks to practice.. :rockwoot: Won't be able to make that class.. Probably one in June.. Is there a Bring a friend discount?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Taking your class is on my list of things to do! I go to the range often, Not the worlds worst shot, defiantly not the best. It can't hurt to humble myself and learn some new tricks to practice.. :rockwoot: Won't be able to make that class.. Probably one in June.. Is there a Bring a friend discount?

Maybe. For you or the friend? Is she hot?:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    J - on my handgun training website, there is an online course option that contains links to lessons by professional shooters. I have personally interviewed every pro, learned from them why their lessons are correct, and have been shown how to teach them correctly. Here is a link to the answer to your question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t22F9Qhiv44&feature=related the advice you have been given is partially right and partially wrong. When you get to trigger management Q&A take a look here: Gun Site Links | Links I'd like to get information about my course out there - but I am not sure how..any ideas for me? Thanks, Jim Trockman jim@gunsitelinks.com 812-454-9888

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would say that since you're shooting up and to the left of the target then there are probably two things wrong with how your shooting, neither of which have anything to do with your stance.

The first is it sounds like you are jerking the trigger which will cause your rounds to go slightly left of where you've aimed. This is a simple remedy. When your finger is on the trigger, first pull all the mechanical slack out of the trigger. When you feel a stop, slowly build pressure on the trigger until it breaks on its own. When the trigger breaks, it should be a little bit of a surprise to you. Dry practice this a few hundred times and you'll see an improvement.

The second is it sounds like you are hard focusing on the target. When you're looking at the sights, the front sight post should be flush with the rear sight apertures. The rear sights should be slightly blurry, the target should be slightly blurry, the front sight post should be crystal clear. Again, just dry practice for a while and you'll get it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    WOW is right Bob! Maybe you should take my class huh?...Seriously, I guess I was in a hurry, or whatever...I think I have posted here 5 times or somthing...anyway, I go to the SHOT Show every year, and there will usually be about 25 or maybe 35 pros there giving demonstrations and hanging out at their sponsor's booths...I don't count 'em...I introduce myself and ask questions that educate me and help me be a better teacher. I couldn't care less about the other exhibits - I just seek out the best teachers I can find - that's what I meant to say - and try to learn as much as I can from them...after three days, I am confident I have 'picked the brains' of all of them --oh sure, I miss a few....but I try to "interview every pro" who is at the SHOT Show...there you go.....I take teaching VERY seriously...visit my website at http://www.gunsitelinks.com Jim Trockman, NRA Certified Instructor, jim@gunsitelinks.com 812-454-9888

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Critique? OK , your stance is awful.
    Haven't you seen the video of the guy shooting the pistol upside down with his pinky? I believe the two important aspects of shooting a pistol are trigger control and sight alignment. If you don't have both of those you're not gonna do as well as you'd like.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Building a good stance is important. Take training to learn how to do that.

Until that time you have to use a handgun and there is no time to use a stance.
    Or two hand grip.
    Or precise sight picture.
    Or its dark.
    Or noisy.
    Or the situation is confused.
    Or it is just quicker to just slap the guy with your muzzle and get outa dodge......

I don't think anyone really can teach desperate, live or die, gunfighting.

It is far more important to learn to operate under stress, I think. but stance is important too.

Top Bottom