• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    My 7 year old daughter has been bugging me for "her own gun" for a while now. She kept ogling a pink cricket every time we went into Rural King. I finally broke down tonight and got her th pink one she has been looking at. Anyone have much experience with these? Mine is limited, but I seem to remember them being fairly accurate.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My daughters started with the same. I wanted them to start with the iron sights but eventually we decked it out a little bit and put a safety orange stock on it. Still may eventually thread it for a suppressor even though we don't shoot it much now. It was always very accurate and dependable.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's hard to go wrong when selecting your child's first ever real firearm by starting with a decent quality single shot bolt action .22 LR.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    my daughter has one, it is accurate and shoots good. only complete i have is ease of loading round in chamber. on the more expensive one they have a feed ramp, but its still a good riffle.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    No experience with the Cricket, but if it holds up as well as the old Chipmunks you'll be happy.
    I raised 4 boys on a Chipmunk, and now I've got 12 G-kids I'm going through. 5 have already been broken in on it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My youngest daughter got her Cricket .22 when she was 5-years old. She then graduated to a Marlin bolt-gun at 8 and a Henry Lever action at 9.

The Cricket is the perfect single-shot starter gun for any child.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    They are excellent.

In fact, I always "test fire" a few rounds before handing it off to a member of Team Miguel...

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    My 2 oldest have them. I probably like shooting them just as much. Everytime they ring the steel, it chokes me up a little bit.

Having kids turns you into a big softie.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Got my daughter her pink crickett for her 5th bday. She loves shooting it and it/she is accurate with it @ 50 yards. We did add a scope once she got real good with the factory peep sights. I would definitely recommend it as a first gun for the young ones

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought my daughter one with a pink laminated wood stock(I'm a wood stock guy)...and she loved it. If I had it to do over again, I'd have probably just gone with a 10/22...but it was a good gun to ensure she didn't get in to trouble with it. I bought it for her at 8. She got the 10/22 for Christmas at age 10.(I just gave her one I had bought for myself).

I made the mistake of letting her shoot my brother's AR. She LOVED It. So much for cheap 22 plinking! :) She's almost 12 now and a hefty girl...so she's handling most guns OK now...

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    The only complaint I have about the Crickett is the darn lock because it is easily engaged by picking up the rifle. It is just as easily disabled though...

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I got my daughter the pink one last summer. She loves it and its accurate for us. We read the small manual that came with it first thing and showed her how to clean it. We also did a lot of safe handling practice before ever taking it out. I did find that loading it could be a pain so I also got some 22 dummy rounds that we could practice loading and working the bolt with.

Make sure you keep the lock key handy as it is easy to lock it.

Their website has pretty much any replacement part you need and many upgrades to chose from for reasonable prices as well.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The lock is very easy to remove permanently. Just pull off the stock and remove the lock.

The rifle is very accurate for what it is. And if you are creative you can mount a normal scope on it and not one of the super small ones. And thread it for a suppressor. And put a steel buttplate on it. And a tactical mounted light. And... Yeah, we kinda went overboard with ours.

[video=youtube_share;X7Kj-Vj7x4k]http://youtu.be/X7Kj-Vj7x4k[/video]

[video=youtube_share;OArqZmTFhdc]http://youtu.be/OArqZmTFhdc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;vzTCtg0HIh4]http://youtu.be/vzTCtg0HIh4[/video]

We never did the bayonet lug mounted battle spork idea.

And even out to 220 yards, it would hold it's own.

[video=youtube_share;GbJMatOOnvc]http://youtu.be/GbJMatOOnvc[/video]

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My youngest son is raising 2 of his grandchildren, he bought a Cricket for one, and last year bought a (as I remember) Savage Rascal for the other child at a Gun show. Think it was used and a great price. Both function very well, fit the kids fine and are quite accurate. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the current crop of Youth size rifles. If money isn't an object at about $300 the Henry bolt action rifle may also be a good choice as it would be one they could hold onto as a collectable.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My youngest son is raising 2 of his grandchildren, he bought a Cricket for one, and last year bought a (as I remember) Savage Rascal for the other child at a Gun show. Think it was used and a great price. Both function very well, fit the kids fine and are quite accurate. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the current crop of Youth size rifles. If money isn't an object at about $300 the Henry bolt action rifle may also be a good choice as it would be one they could hold onto as a collectable.

Bought my grandson the Henry Mini Bolt rifle. The standard Wilson Fire Sights really helped too with teaching him how to align them.

Top Bottom