• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I usually don’t carry locally unless I am riding the trail, going to the Laundromat with my niece or doing something gun related. But today has me rethinking this. I went to Goodwill today. I was minding my own business looking at junk. This guy came into the isle and we exchanged pleasantries because I may have been in his way. He was nice looking and dressed well so he didn’t immediately creep me out or concern me...

This nice-looking, well-dressed gentlemen...

Ted-Bundy-enjoy-jury-selection-in-a-Miami-Courtroom-223x300.jpg

...was rather popular among his university peers. An honor roll student who later was accepted to law school, Mr. Cowell's classmates and professors said he was very intelligent, charming, attractive, and sociable. Therefore, they were quite shocked when they learned that he had become one of the most notorious serial killers in U.S. history.

Named Theodore Robert Cowell at birth, he used his charm, his good looks, and people's natural aversion to offending others or being seen as 'rude' to get his victims to lower their guard, then he would bludgeon them to unconsciousness with a pipe or crowbar, then rape and/or kill them, and would often dismember the corpse and engage in necrophilia with the parts.
    This scene from "The Silence of the Lambs":

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vEdlD59mQ&[/ame]

...was directly based on one of 'handsome' Ted's tactics of using a fake cast to appear disabled and thus 'safe' to his victims. As you found out, your eyes deceived you, and what looked like a regular guy turned out to be a seriously disturbed individual...

This could have simply been a cultural misunderstanding but the guy creeped me out and made me uncomfortable.

People from Middle-eastern countries tend to stand much closer (1-2 feet away) than what is the norm for other cultures (3 feet+). This is the only case I can think of off the top of my head where a legitimate harmless cultural tendency of a particular ethnicity may make someone feel uncomfortable. I know of no refined/legitimate culture where the men routinely hold onto and/or finger-f(:nono:) their dumbstick. Your instincts were spot on. Rather than just being a shy guy that doesn't know how to properly interact with a women he is interested in, this guy sounds like another Ted Bundy in the making...

I guess for starters I need to quit being so nice and talking to strangers.

As the not-so-old saying goes, "Be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet..." (if it becomes necessary to protect yourself)

In the situation you described, I think it might have ended sooner/scared him away if you had politely but firmly confronted him after you saw clear evidence that he was stalking you; "Sir, I'm sure you're a nice guy (a polite lie), but it looks like you are following me, and it's making me and more so my defensive pepper spray, knife, and 1911 pistol loaded with creep-killer thermo-nuclear tipped .45ACP bullets very uncomfortable... Give me some space, please..." (The text in purple can be eliminated if brevity is desired... ;))

It does no harm to be polite even to those out to harm us, and it looks better to potential witnesses if they can testify that your were calm and polite right up to the very instant before your bullets helped his mind see the light of day! :shoot:
    head-shot.gif

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    This nice-looking, well-dressed gentlemen...

Ted-Bundy-enjoy-jury-selection-in-a-Miami-Courtroom-223x300.jpg

...was rather popular among his university peers. An honor roll student who later was accepted to law school, Mr. Cowell's classmates and professors said he was very intelligent, charming, attractive, and sociable. Therefore, they were quite shocked when they learned that he had become one of the most notorious serial killers in U.S. history.

Named Theodore Robert Cowell at birth, he used his charm, his good looks, and people's natural aversion to offending others or being seen as 'rude' to get his victims to lower their guard, then he would bludgeon them to unconsciousness with a pipe or crowbar, then rape and/or kill them, and would often dismember the corpse and engage in necrophilia with the parts.
    This scene from "The Silence of the Lambs":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vEdlD59mQ&

...was directly based on one of 'handsome' Ted's tactics of using a fake cast to appear disabled and thus 'safe' to his victims. As you found out, your eyes deceived you, and what looked like a regular guy turned out to be a seriously disturbed individual...

People from Middle-eastern countries tend to stand much closer (1-2 feet away) than what is the norm for other cultures (3 feet+). This is the only case I can think of off the top of my head where a legitimate harmless cultural tendency of a particular ethnicity may make someone feel uncomfortable. I know of no refined/legitimate culture where the men routinely hold onto and/or finger-f(:nono:) their dumbstick. Your instincts were spot on. Rather than just being a shy guy that doesn't know how to properly interact with a women he is interested in, this guy sounds like another Ted Bundy in the making...

As the not-so-old saying goes, "Be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet..." (if it becomes necessary to protect yourself)

In the situation you described, I think it might have ended sooner/scared him away if you had politely but firmly confronted him after you saw clear evidence that he was stalking you; "Sir, I'm sure you're a nice guy (a polite lie), but it looks like you are following me, and it's making me and more so my defensive pepper spray, knife, and 1911 pistol loaded with creep-killer thermo-nuclear tipped .45ACP bullets very uncomfortable... Give me some space, please..." (The text in purple can be eliminated if brevity is desired... ;))

It does no harm to be polite even to those out to harm us, and it looks better to potential witnesses if they can testify that your were calm and polite right up to the very instant before your bullets helped his mind see the light of day! :shoot:
    head-shot.gif

You forgot heat seeking; very important.

Sounds like you could have handled it a bit better OP, but it was a learning experience for you; you survived and now you are better prepared for the future.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Don't worry about being rude. The worst case scenario if you're rude (and loud enough so other people can hear you) is you might hurt somebody's feelings who meant no harm. On the other hand, the worst case scenario for you being polite could be much worse.

well said

Top Bottom