• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I also go to Wilbur Wright and have never had an issue with the "creeper" you speak of. However, I have come across a few real fools but the range itself is pretty nice and free.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Shot there yesterday and was pretty glad he wasn't there. lol It's always a much better time when you don't have someone asking you questions while you're trying to zero your optic, or working anything skill related.

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Im glad my range is peaceful and the owner is a great guy! Pops in the fridge free targets,staples,tools,spot scopes,claythrowers, you name it hes got it. And $20 a year! Love my range. And autism or not the guy should be kicked out never to come back!! Safety is #1 at my range. Period

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Figure out which is autistic:

5701050739_d0f65fa5ce_z.jpg

Sure, the safe bet is on the boy, and you would be right - he is my son. So, let me make a few, simple points:

1. He is the way the good Lord made him in the womb. Why? I dunno, but the only intent here is God's, not the boy's.

2. He's got no social graces because he is unable to see social cues just as a color blind person is unable to see green or red. Not his fault, we all have our crosses to bear and this one is his and mine.

3. He is takes information on trust because guile and trickery are advanced social interactions that he cannot identify. Therefore the info he gets first is assumed to be right.

4. He shares with others the only way he can - by talking. Sometimes talking and talking. Since he cannot get the cue to kindly STFU, he does not know to stop. The result is hard on others, but no easy life for him. He will never understand why people are unkind to him and always walking away.

5. He can shoot, and he can do it safely. As a matter of fact, he can be very careful and rigid on safety rules. So safety is no more an issue than for other kids his age.

6. There are markers to watch for that can ID autism to some extent and the best one is to watch for a lack of eye contact when speaking.

7. And, as for how this dude at the range should be treated, let me say this: if there was a true safety issue then it needs addressed. If there was not and people are just ready to kick butt because someone is the way they were created, good luck with that. You will likely answer twice: once in court and once some fine day later.

Be careful, be safe, but don't be ready to fight when there is no fight to be had.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON

Sure, the safe bet is on the boy, and you would be right - he is my son. So, let me make a few, simple points:
    1. He is the way the good Lord made him in the womb..Snip !.. You will likely answer twice: once in court and once some fine day later.
    Be careful, be safe, but don't be ready to fight when there is no fight to be had.

Well said ! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem

1. He is the way the good Lord made him in the womb. Why? I dunno, but the only intent here is God's, not the boy's.

2. He's got no social graces because he is unable to see social cues just as a color blind person is unable to see green or red. Not his fault, we all have our crosses to bear and this one is his and mine.

3. He is takes information on trust because guile and trickery are advanced social interactions that he cannot identify. Therefore the info he gets first is assumed to be right.

4. He shares with others the only way he can - by talking. Sometimes talking and talking. Since he cannot get the cue to kindly STFU, he does not know to stop. The result is hard on others, but no easy life for him. He will never understand why people are unkind to him and always walking away.

5. He can shoot, and he can do it safely. As a matter of fact, he can be very careful and rigid on safety rules. So safety is no more an issue than for other kids his age.

6. There are markers to watch for that can ID autism to some extent and the best one is to watch for a lack of eye contact when speaking.

7. And, as for how this dude at the range should be treated, let me say this: if there was a true safety issue then it needs addressed. If there was not and people are just ready to kick butt because someone is the way they were created, good luck with that. You will likely answer twice: once in court and once some fine day later.

QFT... Techres is spot on yet again.

I have two nephews with autism related conditions (one autism, the other Asperger's). The older of the two goes shooting with us, and the younger will soon join the rest of the cousins, no doubt. (He's just a bit young for it yet.) Cam is just as safe, if not safer than the rest of the crew because of the rigidity that Techres speaks of. Oh - he plays French Horn in the U of L marching band and if you walked up to him on the street, I doubt you'd notice, except for the lack of eye contact occasionally.

Bottom line - they can hang out with me at the range anytime.

I have not met the person that people are speaking of above. Maybe he's autistic, maybe he's not. Maybe he has some other issue. Bottom line - if he's being unsafe - by all means the behavior needs to be corrected. If not, no "butt kicking" or any other force required. Just correction.

Can't rep you Techres, but I would if I could.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    And, as for how this dude at the range should be treated, let me say this: if there was a true safety issue then it needs addressed. If there was not and people are just ready to kick butt because someone is the way they were created, good luck with that. You will likely answer twice: once in court and once some fine day later.

Thank you! I know first hand that dealing with Autistic individuals can be testy at times, but that's NOT an excuse for kicking their backside cause they invaded "your little corner of the world."

Even if this guy is older, what if it were your son? Yeah, I know... You'd probably have him on a shock collar so he couldn't leave his apartment.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    It doesn't seem to be Autism that is anyone's issue. It's safety. Autistic or retarded or just blame dumb doesn't matter. If he is unsafe and "creeps" up on shooters while firing a weapon that kills people, then it needs to be dealt with. Period.

If I waved my gun around I am deemed unsafe and would be dealt with, no different. Just because the individual is "different" (I use very loosely) doesn't mean they are dangerous, but need to follow same safety rules as any other shooter/companion of shooter. If he will not leave some alone after being asked to leave, then it should be dealt with also. We go to enjoy ourselves and should be allowed to do so.

If I am disruptive at Chuck E Cheese I am asked to leave. Is this any different? And, no, I do not go to Chuck E Cheese.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I have Aspergers and adhd.

I hate interacting with people at gunshows I'm horrid at "small talk", I hate noisy crowed places, I'm very antisoical when I'm around people I don't know (ex. stores social events ect,) I rock in my chair, listen to music and browse the web or daydream for 4 hours a day., I never sit still, I get distracted very easily, I take things quite literally at times, I can be rude, blunt, and interrupt conversations, I topic switch like no other, My main obsessions are with firearms and furries, I used to not make eye contact when talking (that took a LOT of practice to to control, I still don't sometimes).

That's only a small part of it, I used to take like 6 pills for it but will never touch another pill again, I don't even like take aspirin unless I really need it.

I learned how to tame some of my syndrome as I got older but it will never totally be tamed (ex. fatigue makes it a lot more noticeable, and I still am not great at interacting with people I don't know).

Anyways back on the topic at hand.

PM66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Crumstown, IN
    That's why I'm thankful I'm blessed with private property to get my range time on! Great Grampa cleared about 60 acres of recently drained Kankakee wetlands with a team of 2 horses. My dad still had the iron bog shoes that the horses wore!

Top Bottom