• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So since I'm new to this site I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Aaron. I'm new here but not exactly new to the firearms world. I learned the basics of shooting when I was 7. I've been carrying and training since I was 19, I've received limited training from military sources, advanced training from private/professional sources, and personal instruction from combat veterans.

I work in an ER in downtown Indy doing diagnostic work on all of the patients that come in. Thus, I get to see my fair share of gun and knife wounds, and, odd duck that I am, I often take note on what caliber the patient was hit by, where it hit him, etc. It gives me a lot of real life examples to deal with when considering the caliber vs. bullet placement concept. Today I thought I might share with you guys a few stories relating what we in the medical community experience concerning gunshot wounds and how effective each caliber is. Hopefully these stories will shed some light on the real world effectiveness of different cartridges beyond idealized ballistic gel tests. Obviously my observations cannot be regarded as "scientific". My sample sizes aren't big enough. I can only take what I see on a regular basis, and try to give a story or two that sums up the experiences I have in general.

The first story I wanted to share involved a .32 ACP. I'm sort of known as the "gun guy" in my ER, as I have taught several nurses and clinical scientists there how to shoot and word travels fast when you work so closely together. Anyway, one night we got a GSW, and they asked me to come over and take a look at it. When the bullet was extracted, I could tell right away that it was a .32 ACP. The round hadn't even deformed before coming to a stop between the radius and ulna. (Granted it was a FMJ) The bones weren't even fractured. Now I cannot tell you for certain at what range the round was fired because our patients are usually not truthful about how the events surrounding their being shot transpired. (Judging by the claims of our patients, Indianapolis must be the "random shooting" capital of the world. lol) That being said, I very much doubt that this young man was hit in the forearm at 25 yards whilst jogging on the other side of the street. His injury suggested he had placed his arm up in front of him to shield himself, probably at close range, and was struck in the forearm with a .32 that failed to penetrate.

What I took away: If you or your woman (I say woman because it's normally women I know who decide they want to carry a pistol but then settle on a "cut little gun") decide to carry a .32, you have to realize ahead of time that you absolutely must train to the point where you can always deliver a shot to the ocular-cranial cavity under pressure. (I.e. the area between the mustache line and the eyebrows.) Personally, if I were to carry a round that light I would carry a .22. They are far easier to shoot, and I will be far more likely to deliver that necessary face shot. (Notice that I didn't call it a "head shot", more on that later.) I choose to carry a round much larger than that because I'm too lazy to train to the point where I can instantly deliver face shots with every shot. Torsos are much easier for bums like me to hit.

The next story happened about a year ago. There was a shooting in the courtyard of an apartment complex and our patient was struck five times in the torso. When I saw the info that was sent by the ambulance, I assumed we were in for a lot of work on the guy. Honestly, I figured that five hits in the torso from anything would be bad news bears. How couldn't it be? When the patient arrived he was sitting up in the gurney and talking to us! It turns out he had been shot by a .380. Again the range wasn't beyond normal gunfight distance, yet the rounds failed to penetrate far enough to reach vital organs. We immediately downgraded him to a trauma 2.

I tell you this story because in my life-long firearms journey, I have oft heard men expound upon the virtues of the .380 round. "It's almost a 9mm!" is the most common phrase I hear. "It's accurate and easy to conceal!" and on and on it goes, as if the round was comparable to a 9mm.
    Guys. It's all bullcrap. I have seen patients hit by a .380, and honestly, I'm totally underwhelmed. If you're right on top of the guy, the .380 might have enough penetration to stop him, but don't count on it being anything more than an in-your-face-belly-gun. Furthermore, the .380 doesn't have enough power behind it to be reasonably accurate beyond 10 yards and it's quite a bit more expensive than the 9mm. Less power, less accurate, more expensive. Not a great deal if you ask me. If you want a pocket gun Ruger and Kahr make great little 9mms that are actually easier on your hands that common .380s.
    That being said a .380 is better than no gun at all. Just please be sure you train with it constantly if you decide it is the caliber for you. Personally, after these experiences, I ditched the .380 round completely.

The final story I want to relate happened about two months ago. Once again I cannot tell you for certain at what range this occurred because again I'm fairly certain the patient was lying to us about how it happened. They tend to do that when there are cops standing there. ("Honestly officer! I wuz just walkn' down the street mind'n my own biznass!") Anyway the man got caught up in a shoot out and took a round of unknown caliber to the face. We were all amazed at his luck. The round struck right at the top of the mustache line. One centimeter higher and it would have likely ricocheted into his ocular-cranial cavity, and it would have been lights outs for him. Instead his mandible stopped the bullet dead in its tracks, where it then floated around under his skin.

What I took away: Head shots are not good enough, especially when using a pistol. You must land the shot between the mustache and the eyebrows. Anywhere else and you're just kidding yourself about the certain effectiveness of your shot. I've even seen people try to use 9mm rounds to commit suicide, fail to hit the brain stem, and live through it. One will even make a recovery. Even if using a high powered rifle, if you don't strike the brain stem they may not die instantly. Instead their death throws could cause them to jerk down on their own trigger before checking out.

I have other stories, but honestly they're not that interesting. The .38 specials and 9mms seem to stop people, though it takes a well placed hit or several torso hits to kill them outright. We've had several experiences of guys trying to rape a woman and taking a round to the chest instead. Perhaps I've become calloused, but inwardly I fine some small satisfaction in that. I have little mercy for such men. I have no experiences with .40s and .45s. People who take shots with these calibers to vital areas don't come to us. They go to the morgue. I'm sure many of them survive long enough to do more damage before they go down. However by the time the ambulance pulls into the bay a lot of time has gone by and they've probably bled out by then. If someone hit in a non-vital area with a .40 or .45 has come in, I either wasn't there or didn't take notice (which is probably the case). Minor hits don't stay in my memory. Everyone knows minor hits don't do you any good anyways no matter what handgun you're using.

One fact that might surprise you: Often clinical staff think that .22s are the deadliest bullets ever. This is due to the fact that men take hits to vital areas, come in with nasty internal leaks, and bleed out. As an added bonus, .22s are small enough to drift around and bury themselves into an artery which then sucks the round downstream until it gets caught somewhere and causes an embolism. (Fun huh?) In contrast, men hit with major calibers who make it to the ER have normally been hit in a non-vital area and thus live.

In conclusion, I would take two things away from this. First, carry the biggest round out of the biggest gun you can handle, and try not to use less than a .38 special/9mm. Humans are actually pretty hard to bring down. Second, don’t be afraid to take a bullet resisting criminals. Chances are, even if he gets the drop on you, he won’t hit you. If you are hit, you have an excellent chance of survival. If you die, it’s better than dying like a sheep after watching them rape and murder your family. Draw your weapon and take them down!
    What do you consider to be your minimum caliber?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Excellent write up and read, thanks!! It used to be .380 but its 9mm min these days.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you're right on top of the guy, the .380 might have enough penetration to stop him, but don't count on it being anything more than an in-your-face-belly-gun. Furthermore, the .380 doesn't have enough power behind it to be reasonably accurate beyond 10 yards and it's quite a bit more expensive than the 9mm.

I'll have to disagree with you there. A 3.8-ish barrel like a Walther PPK will have muzzle velocity around 950 fps. If you can't shoot a .380 accurately past 10 yards, its you or the gun, not the caliber.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'll have to disagree with you there. A 3.8-ish barrel like a Walther PPK will have muzzle velocity around 950 fps. If you can't shoot a .380 accurately past 10 yards, its you or the gun, not the caliber.

I'll rephrase that. The .380 bleeds off so much energy past 10 yards that it ceases to retain the accuracy needed in a tactical weapon. I can hit with a .380 past 10 yards. But at 15-20 yards the groupings really widen up compared to a 9mm, .40, or .45.
    Not to mention that past 10 yards you can kiss adequate penetration goodbye. If you even had it at that range to begin with.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Just more reason I carry a .45 for my EDC. When I hit ya, game over. God knows I don't want some poor wounded thug having to lie to the doctors on my account ,only side of the story I want told, is mine!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll rephrase that. The .380 bleeds off so much energy past 10 yards that it ceases to retain the accuracy needed in a tactical weapon. I can hit with a .380 past 10 yards. But at 15-20 yards the groupings really widen up compared to a 9mm, .40, or .45.
    Not to mention that past 10 yards you can kiss adequate penetration goodbye. If you even had it at that range to begin with.

Still you or the gun. 10 yards you've lost maybe 70 fps, bullet flight time is in the neighborhood of .025 seconds, and that's not significant enough to open up groups.

Penetration-wise, quality SD loads will meet FBI standards. As you've doubtlessly seen its tough to predict penetration in the human body, however. A .45 can ride a rib around and never hit an organ, or it may go in the buttock and root around in the abdomen causing an internal bleed out.

.380 is pretty similar to regular (not +P) .38s. Tough to make the claim .38s stop people while .380s don't. Thugs seldom use quality ammo, and I've yet to find a +P case on a shooting in Indy.

The problem you'll run into making comparisons among calibers is ammo selection. Thugs tend to use crappy ammo, and some calibers are more ammo sensitive than others. Police tend to be issued quality SD rounds, so the "caliber of the day" for LEOs will appear more deadly in both observation and in statistics because of that. I'll also point out you're seeing people who lived long enough to get triaged and without the benefit of seeing the crime scene, other than self-inflicted or injuries with a powder burn, its tough to know how close the shot came from.

I'm not claiming .380 is better than 9mm, but its far from the anemic caliber you are painting it as.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Saw a great video by an ER doctor, maybe on here. He stated that only 1 out of 7 shot with a handgun die. Basically trauma management and stopping the bleeding (causing the trauma) being the important thing to save a patient.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I've seen and treated countless people with GSWs and the majority are shot with a standard FMJ target load which penetrate through and through leaving a cavity the size of the bullet in most calibers. Thus creating non fatal injuries barring Hitting a vital organ or artery. A standard .22 at 5-10 will penetrate and exit. The ones shot with personal protection loads creat larger internal cavities and exiting less frequently causing a more lethal outcome. Obviously the larger caliber leaves a larger hole and penetrates with more force and increases the chance of more trauma. I've seen .380 shatter a femur and exit. Basically it just comes down to placement and load.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Awesome info! I'm going to go contrary here, but I carry my .22 for round count. I'd rather have 11 rounds of 22 than 6 rds of 9.

Truthfully, any 9mm with 10 rounds would be so big Id probably leave it at home most trips. Most self defense cases are robberies, and most robbers are cowards who will flee at the sight of any gun.

I got something with much more punch in the bed stand as i consider home invaders to be a different breed.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Great info, thanks for the write-up. It's always great to get firsthand knowledge rather than just ratings or theories on actual trauma.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    That sir is what I call a quality post. If those whiney noobs would post stuff like this we would never have a "why do I need 50 posts to get to the classifieds" thread again. Nice write up.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Still you or the gun. 10 yards you've lost maybe 70 fps, bullet flight time is in the neighborhood of .025 seconds, and that's not significant enough to open up groups.

Penetration-wise, quality SD loads will meet FBI standards. As you've doubtlessly seen its tough to predict penetration in the human body, however. A .45 can ride a rib around and never hit an organ, or it may go in the buttock and root around in the abdomen causing an internal bleed out.

.380 is pretty similar to regular (not +P) .38s. Tough to make the claim .38s stop people while .380s don't. Thugs seldom use quality ammo, and I've yet to find a +P case on a shooting in Indy.

I'm not claiming .380 is better than 9mm, but its far from the anemic caliber you are painting it as.

You seem to be focusing on what I didn't say rather than what I did say. I said beyond ten yards you lose the accuracy. I then went on to clarify that at 15-20 yards it opens up in comparison to 9mm and .45. I'll take it one step further now and add "especially at 15-20 yards with most .380s sold for CC these days." I'm sure you could find a tricked out .380 somewhere shooting hot ammo, but at that point why aren't you carrying a 9mm? I shot .380s for 6 years next to 9mms and .45 and they never performed like the 9mm. It's hard to look at a man who is nailing the target at 20 yards with a .45 & 9mm but is doing worse with a .380, with far less recoil and the same trigger type, and say it's his fault or the gun's fault. Note I said worse, not "missing". A competent shooter can still hit the torso at that range. The groupings just aren't as good and not tight enough for my personal standards in what I look for in a gun used for killing/stopping a BG. Rounds that do meet those standards I call "tactical".

Honestly the .380 and .38spl aren't "pretty similar" at all outside of bullet speed. The .380 is what? 95grains? The .38spl is what? 130? 158? That's a 37%-66% difference in size. Size matters in retaining momentum & accuracy. Momentum is the key to penetration and sometimes centimeters make the difference in bullet placement. The .380 just plain didn't perform to the level I wanted it to in comparison.

For further evidence of how they aren't similar, you need to look up the Hatcher Value of the two rounds.
    (For those of you who are unaware, the Hacther value was a formula created by General Julian Hatcher, who was also a noted forensic pathologist among other things, to calculate the theoretical stopping power of a handgun round. It has withstood the test of time as being a valid measurement of odds. Basically, the higher the value, the better your odds of knocking a man down. There is a law of diminishing returns beyond 55)

The 9mm is 39.9
    The 38 special is 39.7
    The .380 is a mere 18.3. (Less than half the 9mm or .38)
    The .32 is 11.8 (Which one is the .380 closer to? a .32 or .38spl?)

What matters when you're talking about calibers in general are averages and odds. A .380 stops a guy with one shot approx 6 out of 20 times. (About the same chance of a .32 stopping someone, probably a little more.) A 38spl or 9mm bumps it up to 1 out of 2.....33% vs 50% seems like a giant gap to me.

For something that's "almost a 9mm", that's really anemic.

Can you find instances of a .380 punching in one side and out the other instantly killing a man? Probably somwhere. Just like you can find instances of a 9mm skipping off a rib and doing next to nothing. But in general a .380 is a far cry from a 9mm.....and both get smoked by the .45 in both anecdotal evidence and large studies.

All I am saying is that my anecdotal experiences in the ER have concurred with the statistical data and the Hatcher Formula, thus why I wrote them down.

But as I said before, a .380 is better than no gun at all, so if you wanna bet your life on it, I've got no call to stop you. Just please train with it like James Bond so you'll survive your gunfight by shooting him the face. I'd like to continue debating you on these forums. :)

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Truthfully, any 9mm with 10 rounds would be so big Id probably leave it at home most trips. Most self defense cases are robberies, and most robbers are cowards who will flee at the sight of any gun.

I got something with much more punch in the bed stand as i consider home invaders to be a different breed.

A .22 is better than no gun at all if you're not willing to use a larger caliber. And you are right about the difference between petty robbers and home invaders. However, just don't kid yourself and bet on all of them running for it. People who home invade & other psychos and druggies aren't above armed robbery. Train for those face shots!!!

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Just more reason I carry a .45 for my EDC. When I hit ya, game over. God knows I don't want some poor wounded thug having to lie to the doctors on my account ,only side of the story I want told, is mine!!!!

Please educate yourself, your delusional. For reference I carry a .45. Please stop thinking this.

Top Bottom