• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    This thread comes as a spin off, but for those of you who actually carry and use multi-tools speak up! What's your story, ever rebuild an engine, or fix an Old Lady's walker or put the tracks back on a tank with one??

My most memorable was reattaching a coworkers muffler with my leatherman wave and a guitar string, I know for a fact it lasted at least 2 years.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Company decided they didn't need to do any PM on equipment any more. Run to Failure is what they called the new program. Well they let the powerhouse fall to pieces on an off hand comment they would get cast off air compressors when another factory shuts down. (Bet those will be in good shape.) We got down to the point the factory could barely run about half the equipment in the factory on the air compressors we had left and I came to work one day to find that one broke.

Got it running, half fixed, with my Leatherman Wave as it was the only tool I had on the top of a 10ft step ladder. Holding a Bailey control open with one hand, looking around to find the 20 people standing around holding each other's hand on day shift had apparently all needed a bathroom/coffee break while I was climbing the ladder to look at what they had torn up while I was gone. Leatherman Wave was my only dependable friend. It's OK though, no problem guys, we got it fixed, you electricians can take your pipe fitter buddies and foreman footstool and all leave now, no problem.

Thumper317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Greenfield
    when i got activated to go to iraq we had all of our tools packed up to ship over and we still had aircraft maintance to do. So for the 2 months i was at Ft. Sill for my MOB i used my leatherman wave to perform maintance on the aircraft. Not the ideal to but it got the job done.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I carry a multi-purpose in the coat pocket of my turnour gear at the fire station. The jobs I have done with it are numerous including disabling the battery system of a vehicle involved in a accident, cutting the seat belt away from patients during extrication, shutting down the gas main of a structure fire, pulling the valve stems of the tires of vehicles during the stablization process before extrication and on and on! I can probably come up with more if I think about it but you get the idea!

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Many years ago I changed a broken full floater axle on a ford 9" during a pit stop of an endurance road race race with my Gerber.

Long story short the idiot I sent back to the trailer for the axle and drive plate didn't listen very well and took his radio off and jumped on the flat-cart that my tool box was on and drove away . The drive plates used a humongous c.s. Philips head screw and the axle sheared within reach of the needle nose pliers. I had both pieces of the axle sitting on the pit wall by the time the replacement parts arrived so no time was lost, thanks to my trusty Gerber..

I still carry the same one and it has gotten me out of plenty of jams but that was the most entertaining one I remember.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Used mine in a freak fishing accident

Well the damn fish went for my top water I pulled.
    The lure must have ripped his lip because the lure wizzzzzed toward my arm at super sonic speed and imbedded into my skin. The barb sank ALL the way through my arm...I seen it all happen in slow motion:eek:

Lets says i was in immediate shock. I looked over at my buddy and his eyes lit in glory, "We must do surgery" It was either keep fishing or drive back to the city and the fishing would be over.
    So..
    We took out my SOG Para Tool and went to work on my arm.
    First slicing a measurable amount of skin to help loosin the hook.
    Pulling with pliers the hook would not release,
    so we had to cut a little more.
    and finially he switched to the pliers and ripped the barb away from my arm.

Oh man that was a fishing trip i will never forget

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I was stuck as the only company representitive at a company that was having trouble and expecting us to fix in a hurry and at the time I was the youngest Tech in the company and when they sent me to Oklahoma to work on this I was getting the "Oh great" look from everyone. A wasp got in the van with us and by stupid luck I pulled out my leatherman and snatched the wasp out of the air and I just acted like I did it all day, after that they loosened up and I was able to get them up and running, It took me 2 week and I had showed up with enough close for the 3 days I was supposed to be there, I got to know the Laundry mat attendant very well

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I was the armorer for our US Army MP platoon and fixed most of our platoon's various M-16 and M1911A1 problems with a Leatherman Super Tool since our supply monkeys never did issue me any armorer tools, even after two years of requests.

Back home in Indiana I had to repair an Amish guy's broken buggy harness once with the awl on my Leatherman tool. I loaned it to a visiting VIP once when he was looking decidedly uncomfortable prior to a public appearance. I asked him what was wrong and he said that he really had to use the restroom facilities, but that the tab had broken off of his zipper. Like I said, I loaned him my Leatherman...

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i used mine for so much stuff its not even funny. but off the top of my head i remember at a remote fob out in afghanistan in saigez (i know thats spelled wrong) we had hit a I.E.D on the way there limped it out. fortunately it was a small I.E.D. and wasn't set up well so it just basically destroyed the front end of the humvee. (no one was hurt thank god)

either way i remember me and our jtac (joint tactical air controller) pulled apart most of the front end with one and completely disassembled the whole radiator and put a new one back in with just the gerber. and reassembled the rest of the humvee and it was running strong again it was pretty sweet as we didn't have any tools. we did pretty good for a dumb old infantry boy and a radio operator lol

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Does cutting the tip of my left thumb off with a gerber count?

Same here, but it was my right thumb and a Leaherman Wave. That has been the last time sice I used it to cut a zip tie. :rolleyes:

That and the saw blade works well to cut drywall.

We used it while cooking while in a camping as well. They are handy.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The craziest thing I ever did with my multi-tool was use it like a hammer during a pistol match. I was reloading and old Mec-Gar 10rd magazine in a 1911 from slide lock, and I overinserted the mag. Those familiar with this situation know that it locks-up the gun, and usually you can't pull the magazine free with your hand. When I realized I couldn't pull it free (at least not while keeping the muzzle pointed downrange safely), I got my multi-tool from my belt, opened the handles, and used to whack downward on the little protruding lip on the base of the magazine. It moved the mag just enough so that it locked into place, I dropped the slide, and finished the course of fire.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    This might not be the best thing I've used it for, but it is what I most commonly use it for. I modded the crap out of my SOG PowerLock and now the improvements are what I would call the best things I do with it.

Mainly, I put in a Glock Armour's tool. I am a factory certified armour, and I work on Glocks all the time. It's actually one of my most used tools, and having one it right there in my PowerLock that I always have with me is very convenient.

The next thing I did was remove all my dedicated drivers and replaced them with other tools. My SOG has the 1/4" socket driver. So I made a sheath that holds the SOG, 8 bits and my bit adapter. That freed up room for the other tools, and it also lets me use Philips #2 instead of the #1 that comes with the PowerLock.

That is what makes SOG multi tools the best in my opinion. SOG encourages you to disassemble it and switch crap around to make them suit your needs. They even sell additional components just for that purpose. No other manufactures do that.

Sogglocktool.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom