• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The ATF does not consider potato guns Class III DD's.

We have determined that these devices, as described, are not firearms provided that they are used solely for launching potatoes for recreational purposes. However, any such devices which are used as weapons or used to launch other forms of projectiles may be firearms and destructive devices as defined.

So you have to use hairspray or similar propellant before it becomes a DD. If you use propane or gunpowder.... :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes thet do scutter... if you fire something other than a potato.. its a mortar... class III DD mine is essentially a Benzene isobutane, propane, 60mm mortar

Oh, sure, and a screwdriver is a deadly weapon but only if you stab someone with it. Just because something can be used in a certain way doesn't make it that thing. :rolleyes:

However, for your sake, you had better hope it's not really considered a Class III DD as you currently have it for sale both here and on Craigslist. I think the ATF would frown on the sale of an unregistered NFA item without the proper paperwork. I'm not really sure why you keep trying to convince everyone that you're committing a felony.

ArmyMP

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Fred Paris's republik of Franklin
    per the ATF and I have done this,,,,,

ATF has previously examined "potato guns" or "spud guns" as described above and has generally determined that such devices using potatoes as projectiles and used solely for recreational purposes are not weapons and do not meet the definition of "firearm" or "destructive device" in either the NFA or GCA. However, ATF has classified such devices as "firearms" and "destructive devices" if their design, construction, ammunition, actual use, or intended use indicate that they are weapons. For example, ATF has classified such devices as "firearms" and "destructive devices" if they are designed and used to expel flaming tennis balls.

suby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Greenwood
    I saw a truck on there the other day that came with an AR.. lol

I'll try to find it..

edit: nvm, don't care that much.. it has probably been flagged already anyway

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Pretty sure paintball guns are out of the question, but not sure about a potato gun. Maybe it depends on the size, i don't know. But as far as I know, felons can't have crossbows, compound bows, etc along with firearms. And if that's true, why can they sell those on CL and not firearms? Doesn't make any sense.

where did you hear this? as far as I know felons can own crossbows and most certainly compound bows..they can even own black powder/muzzle loading firearms..basically if you dont have to fill out a form/background check to buy it a felon can own it..legally.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    oh..and I can think of atleast 2 felons that I know who play paintball religiously.
    Paintball is a religion??
    Sign this guy up!!!!

I know felons can possess compound bows and muzzleloaders.......not quite sure about crossbows.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    where did you hear this?

I think because ...
    Pretty sure ...
    ...but if you fire something else it better have a serial number and a stamp
    ...its a mortar...
    Its legal for sale as long as you arent selling it for the purpose of making it into a DD...

Watch where you step! This place is full of experts!!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I think because ...
    Pretty sure ...
    ...but if you fire something else it better have a serial number and a stamp
    ...its a mortar...
    Its legal for sale as long as you arent selling it for the purpose of making it into a DD...

Watch where you step! This place is full of experts!!

so I guess shooting things out of a potato gun like roasted chickens,a loaf of bread or some ice cream rolled into a ball are out?:dunno: that sucks!!! stupid laws:rolleyes::D

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    so I guess shooting things out of a potato gun like roasted chickens,a loaf of bread or some ice cream rolled into a ball are out?:dunno: that sucks!!! stupid laws:rolleyes::D
    there was a myth busters episode where they launched frozen chickens at airplane windshields with something like a potato gun.

its been a few years though. it might have used compressed air instead of a volatile propellant. idk

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    there was a myth busters episode where they launched frozen chickens at airplane windshields with something like a potato gun.

its been a few years though. it might have used compressed air instead of a volatile propellant. idk

I thought they used propane? :dunno: I remember that episode though. :D

Top Bottom