• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I used something similar that has 3 or 4 big triangular tines. Its not actually a roofing shovel but the company made them too if I remember right.

I sawed the handle off of an old garden hoe and used it and it made wuick work of the shake.
    Thats a good offer Rookie just made.
    A roofing shovel has a wedge in the shovels bach to give the operrator more leverage to pry up on the layers.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A house with 9 layers sounds like it was designed to kill firefighters. That is soooo much weight.

Also, I am surprised to hear that Amish workers were incompetent. I had always heard they were usually master craftsmen that took serious pride in their work and reputation. To be fair I dont personally know of many people who have used Amish workers, so maybe I had a romanticized notion of their level of craftsmanship.
    Maybe they were fly-by-night roofers posing as Amish to get jobs.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I don't understand the layers thing. Is it really that common to just slap new shingles over old ones without tearing it down to the wood? Do people just not wanna do the work prying and shoveling? It's hot and dirty but, unless I'm missing something, it's not complicated?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have roofed my house twice and the attached garage twice and my 24x24 garage once. Did the house and attached garage 15 years ago and all three about five years ago. Only problem I had with the roof was the 4 inch diameter hail storm that came through.
    First time the P. O. had put on three layers so lots to tear off. If the old shingles are in decent shape and not curling up I have no problem with a second layer. That is just my opinion and I am not a professional. Jim.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have roofing shovels and am close to you. Have an air version my dad got at auction. I have not used it but you can try if you want. I am on a small rehab in Gas City if you want to meet. Send me a PM if you deleted my number from before.

I can also set you up with cheap coil roofing nails. I bought a metric ton of them over the years and I do not roof anything any longer. It's a young man's trade. I'm too old and fat for that.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't understand the layers thing. Is it really that common to just slap new shingles over old ones without tearing it down to the wood? Do people just not wanna do the work prying and shoveling? It's hot and dirty but, unless I'm missing something, it's not complicated?
    I think the big thing about a complete tear-off is that you almost always would need multiple workers to get the tear-off done and get the roof shingled the same day, or risk big problems if a sudden rain shower pops up. Whereas, one guy can put on a layer of shingles over the old roof as fast or as slow as he wants without worrying about leaving any areas uncovered. I've done it both ways and there are pros and cons with both.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I think the big thing about a complete tear-off is that you almost always would need multiple workers to get the tear-off done and get the roof shingled the same day, or risk big problems if a sudden rain shower pops up. Whereas, one guy can put on a layer of shingles over the old roof as fast or as slow as he wants without worrying about leaving any areas uncovered. I've done it both ways and there are pros and cons with both.
    That's why the most important "tool" any roofer should have is tarps, many, many tarps. We have crews of 6-10 people......and we still never start a job without tarps. I personally would never recommend a roof without tear off, unless financially you just can't swing it. Especially if you are a younger guy and plan to stay at the home. Layovers are just putting off the inevitable and it will cost you twice as much next time plus it will cause your new shingles to deteriorate quicker than normal. I honestly can think of no legit reason to not tear off. As our friend ChurchMouse use to say, buy once, cry once.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    As our friend ChurchMouse use to say, buy once, cry once.
    He said that to me just once, That pos Colt, Here look at this Springer I just finished.
    I said so you bought a $600.00 Springer and then fitted another 2 to $400 in parts and 10 hours of labor in it.
    And you could have..... he cut me off. With a fu...
    I miss Tim.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That's why the most important "tool" any roofer should have is tarps, many, many tarps. We have crews of 6-10 people......and we still never start a job without tarps. I personally would never recommend a roof without tear off, unless financially you just can't swing it. Especially if you are a younger guy and plan to stay at the home. Layovers are just putting off the inevitable and it will cost you twice as much next time plus it will cause your new shingles to deteriorate quicker than normal. I honestly can think of no legit reason to not tear off. As our friend ChurchMouse use to say, buy once, cry once.
    I'm not even a roofer, and I have tarps of all sizes on hand because you never know. We had a new roof put on a couple of years ago and the old roof looked like it was in pretty good shape. When they did the tear off, they found a valley that had been leaking enough to start rotting the decking. If we'd have roofed over that, it would have been a problem eventually.

When Churchmouse replaced my HVAC, I mostly took his advice, except when he suggested I go with a slightly smaller AC. I wanted to go with the same capacity, and he suggested that the new ones were more efficient, and he said I might have a problem with a new unit not being able to dehumidify as effectively if the capacity was too much, but I didn't listen, and had him put in the same size unit. Guess what? Yup, I think of him every time I look at the humidistat on the wall during AC season.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm not even a roofer, and I have tarps of all sizes on hand because you never know. We had a new roof put on a couple of years ago and the old roof looked like it was in pretty good shape. When they did the tear off, they found a valley that had been leaking enough to start rotting the decking. If we'd have roofed over that, it would have been a problem eventually.
    You're already up there and already committed to work, why wouldn't you take the opportunity to identify and replace rotted sections? It's just plywood. Your shiny new shingles will just come off anyway when it fails for good.

But I guess I still think of everything in terms of DIY, not hiring crews, so it's not a several thousand dollar difference to me. It's a couple days and some material.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

When Churchmouse replaced my HVAC, I mostly took his advice, except when he suggested I go with a slightly smaller AC. I wanted to go with the same capacity, and he suggested that the new ones were more efficient, and he said I might have a problem with a new unit not being able to dehumidify as effectively if the capacity was too much, but I didn't listen, and had him put in the same size unit. Guess what? Yup, I think of him every time I look at the humidistat on the wall during AC season.
    The thought with a smaller unit is, it will have more run time and with AC it will remove more moisture with doing that. And with heat it will keep a more stable temp.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

That is exactly why I don't recommend laying over old roof. Almost all roofs have a leak, just many times the location they are at people don't know they have a leak, such as chimneys where water runs down brick, or a valley where leak is at overhang so it never leaks inside. These places are only found when the old roof is removed, like you said.

Old Church Mouse.........he was a sharp cookie. I miss him.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thanks for the offers to loan tools. I went ahead and bought a finer tooth roofing shovel figuring I'll be doing the garage soon too so I may as well get the tools now.

It's crazy my dad did his roof 28 years ago with the help of my grandpa and with the exception of a small spot in a valley near the sewer vent it's in really good shape. This house had its roof done 27 years ago by professionals and when I bought it there was more roofing in the yard than there was on the house. I was OK maxing out the layers to code but I wasn't expecting this mess.

What have i learned through this? The next house I buy won't have a 12:12 roof

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The big con IMO is the added weight, but it would likely make a future tear off more complicated. I think the township I live in has code that does not allow more than two layers, so it seems a second layer is fairly common.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Thanks for the offers to loan tools. I went ahead and bought a finer tooth roofing shovel figuring I'll be doing the garage soon too so I may as well get the tools now.

It's crazy my dad did his roof 28 years ago with the help of my grandpa and with the exception of a small spot in a valley near the sewer vent it's in really good shape. This house had its roof done 27 years ago by professionals and when I bought it there was more roofing in the yard than there was on the house. I was OK maxing out the layers to code but I wasn't expecting this mess.

What have i learned through this? The next house I buy won't have a 12:12 roof
    That 12-12 pitch sucks for climbing but man will it shed water for you.

Find an old couch or chair and take the cushions. Remove the cloth and the foam will stick to the roof like magic. I do that with 6-12 which I used to walk like a billy goat.

Plus it gives you a place to sit that isn't so hot when you just wanna get off the job.

Top Bottom