• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Started on the roof of a house my wife and I bought. originally had some Amish that were friends of her family but they were horribly incompetent and ended up bailing after pounding nails in in the roof poking holes all over and sawing off drip edges. They originally said there was few enough layers that they could throw metal on but said they found five after they sawed off the drip edge.

Fast forward to today and my dad and I climbed up and started stripping the roof expecting 4 layers of asphalt and one layer of wood shake. Boy the previous 9 roofers were Crack heads because it had 10 layers on some slopes! 9 asphalt and 1 wood shake. The last time it was roofed was roughly 27 years ago so definitely had residential building code then. How this house hasn't collapsed is beyond me.

Now we wait til Monday for tear off inspection then start throwing on the metal. We've done a simple garage metal roof but never a roof as complicated as this one so it may be an adventure.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have been in the roofing business since 1995.....and I have torn off hundreds of roofs. I have never seen that many layers. The most I ever seen was 5 asphalt layers and shake.

There is nothing worse than a shake tear off though........bet you guys were dirty, lol. Are you putting new plywood/OSB on before metal? Good luck with your roofing project.....

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    A house with 9 layers sounds like it was designed to kill firefighters. That is soooo much weight.

Also, I am surprised to hear that Amish workers were incompetent. I had always heard they were usually master craftsmen that took serious pride in their work and reputation. To be fair I dont personally know of many people who have used Amish workers, so maybe I had a romanticized notion of their level of craftsmanship.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have been in the roofing business since 1995.....and I have torn off hundreds of roofs. I have never seen that many layers. The most I ever seen was 5 asphalt layers and shake.

There is nothing worse than a shake tear off though........bet you guys were dirty, lol. Are you putting new plywood/OSB on before metal? Good luck with your roofing project.....
    In 1993 I bought a balloon frame in Anderson that had 5 asphalt and shakes. I used ply back then.
    It was a 10-12 roof, you could hear the house relax after I was finished the tearoff.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A house with 9 layers sounds like it was designed to kill firefighters. That is soooo much weight.

Also, I am surprised to hear that Amish workers were incompetent. I had always heard they were usually master craftsmen that took serious pride in their work and reputation. To be fair I dont personally know of many people who have used Amish workers, so maybe I had a romanticized notion of their level of craftsmanship.
    WE have Amish farms all around where my familys place is, myself, I have never seen one that's incompetent at his or her trade. I would guess there is, but I've never seen one.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion

The older men in the family built my wife's grandpa's house and did an amazing job with very little scrap wood left over. The boys came to do the roof and as soon as the older guys left they scrambled to the trailer and pulled out a box of cellphones, vapes, and cigarettes and sat on their *** and did nothing for a few hours. I wish I could have had the older guys come because I've never had a problem with the Amish we've used for work but these kids knew less than I do about construction and all I have is freshman construction class and this old house episodes. Before they came the back 2/3 of the house had no leaks but when they left it leaked like crazy since they nailed 1x4 runners down, sawed off drip edges and put their foot through on the porch and left it then ghosted me.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion

That was the original plan but talking with a couple contractors and the building commissioner I've decided to just leave the skip decking. It's full dimension 1x4 oak and so far I think we found 3 that need replaced so it seems to be in good shape.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Only have 2 slopes done right now city building dept doesn't know its *** from a hole in ground. Keep getting contradicting information. Have signed papers stating 2 completely different things. Commissioner says one thing then the inspector says he's wrong and we can't to that even though the Commissioner says we MUST. It's a mess.

Also for those of you who have never dealt with 10 layers this is what kind of nail you need lol. Have thousands of these in pretty good shape that I'm going to toss in the tumbler to use another day. Can't believe they used 16d nails to nail down asphalt.
    20230917_130420.jpg

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Only have 2 slopes done right now city building dept doesn't know its *** from a hole in ground. Keep getting contradicting information. Have signed papers stating 2 completely different things. Commissioner says one thing then the inspector says he's wrong and we can't to that even though the Commissioner says we MUST. It's a mess.

Also for those of you who have never dealt with 10 layers this is what kind of nail you need lol. Have thousands of these in pretty good shape that I'm going to toss in the tumbler to use another day. Can't believe they used 16d nails to nail down asphalt.
    View attachment 300006
    I don't think you had a case of crackhead roofers, but crackhead homeowner.....lol. Amazing what some people will do to save a dollar. I never even recommend 2 layers on a roof.....it simply is not worth the hassle to save a few dollars now, that will cost you several dollars later.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    20231003_172344.jpghere's the thinnest part of the roof we've found. We're still working on it though. The whole city is having trouble with the building commissioner so he's been hard to get ahold of. That plus I don't know what I'm doing and work all the time and dad is retired and beat down. Picked up a dewalt shear attachment that goes on a drill or impact and it's really helping out.

Top Bottom