• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    There's two types of concrete. Concrete that has cracked or will crack. Leave it alone.

Yep... And if you felt you had to do something at this time the only product I would use was posted above , Sikkaflex products, that is the best product on the consumer market for fixing concrete cracks.
    I have used there Marine Adhesives for 20 + years with great success.

Almost any product you use to repair this crack will just make a mess, look unsightly and be a waste of time and money.

Another thing you could do if it bothers you to look at is, have the concrete cut out maybe 10 to 12" wide across the driveway and recompact where concrete was removed and install concrete driveway pavers in a stripe across the driveway and maybe around edges the driveway to finish it out above the stripe.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would say no its not going to help.
    Water will be under the concrete if you seal up the crack or not.
    Under the concrete is compacted gravel... Is not the ground all the way around the driveway not permeable already ?
    The driveway is going downhill correct ?
    Water tends to run downhill.. Over the concrete and under the concrete.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Don't know if you have irrigation or not in your yard, but that crack looks suspiciously like those that often develop where a zone line has been bored under the driveway. It's about the right distance up from the sidewalk to match where an irrigation line might likely cross the drive, though good installers usually try to go right under a pre-existing line between sections. If this is indeed the case, the crack probably won't get much worse. Cracks from this kind of boring usually don't settle much and tend to stay pretty small.

On the other hand, if it's not from irrigation lines, the other folks above probably have it covered.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    No irrigation system here. I do have one at my 2nd and 3rd home... But not this one.

My back cement deck is even worse. Who ever did this job sucked at cement.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seal it using any of the cement-specific products noted above. Having moisture in the ground that may migrate under the slab is far different from having a crack in the slab where water will gather directly under the crack and freeze. IMHO, filling the crack is risk free and simple while doing nothing, while slightly cheaper, may result in more degradation, sooner.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Seal it using any of the cement-specific products noted above. Having moisture in the ground that may migrate under the slab is far different from having a crack in the slab where water will gather directly under the crack and freeze. IMHO, filling the crack is risk free and simple while doing nothing, while slightly cheaper, may result in more degradation, sooner.

IANAL but I think he is trying to say you have nothing to lose by sealing it

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You're actually lucky, the crack has value. The last thing you want is to leave the crack on the driveway as it's illegal for some reason. Head up to 38th street and sell the crack. You can also trade the crack with women who walk east 10th. For whatever reason avoid having the crack on you should the police show up. If the police are on you before you can get rid of the crack, shoot at them while yelling what street you live on. I.E "18th street *****". You should then take off running while holding your pants up. It may not look it, but the crack is heavy. If they catch you, swallow the crack. The crack will turn you into a very smart, attractive, good dancing superman. At this point one of three things will happen:
    A. You'll escape
    B. Your heart will explode from all the awesome
    C. The police will catch you and you go to jail

regardless the police suck. **** the police.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Who ever did this job sucked at cement.

With a crack like yours, it probably wasn't because the concrete was put in or finished badly, just that the sub-grade underneath settled.

When they build a house, change the grade, and dig trenches for utilities, it breaks up the sub-grade and it sometimes settles for many years after. Even if the contractor does his best, sometimes the natural shrink-swell from soil moisture and the frost heave is gonna cause a slab to crack anyway.

It's like a new truck bed, the first scratch hurts the most, but you'll learn to live with it.

Top Bottom