• ...and so much more!
  • oifvet2id

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Indy
    Howdy all,
    Quick question. I am an national guard soldier on active duty orders assigned to Camp Atterbury. My normal state of residence is Michigan. I live in government contracted housing and have nothing formal to show that I live where I live. Is there any way to get a CPL from Indiana? I am planning on getting a CPL when I PCS back to Michigan, but would like to try and get one here as well. As a side note, my wife and I are thinking about moving down here for good. Any advice or responses are appreciated.

Last edited:

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    Are you TDY or PCS? If it's PCS you can get an Indiana DL to establish residency and then you can apply for your handgun license. I think there may be a time period after you establish residency before you can apply. If your here TDY your probably out of luck.

Go to IN.gov: Home and the licensing laws are under 35-47

oifvet2id

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Indy
    I think I may have found my answer to getting a CPL in Indiana, because I am serving in the military I am ineligible. So....my question is now this: can anyone recommend an NRA certified instructor for CC in Indianapolis?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Are you TDY or PCS? If it's PCS you can get an Indiana DL to establish residency and then you can apply for your handgun license. I think there may be a time period after you establish residency before you can apply. If your here TDY your probably out of luck.

Indiana has instant residency. There's no waiting period.

oifvet2id

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Indy

Thanks a bunch, didnt notice your reply until I had posted mine. I am TDY and as you say probably out of luck. Oh well, if it was that easy, life wouldnt be a challenge! Kind of stinks though, I have been on orders down here for two years now after coming back from Iraq. Again. LOL

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So....my question is now this: can anyone recommend an NRA certified instructor for CC in Indianapolis?

There is no training requirement for an Indiana LTCH.

Not that you shouldn't get proper training anyway. Check the Tactics and Training forum for details.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If your state of formal residence is Michigan... Isn't it also your state of official residence if you're active military?

Could you get a Michigan permit? You'd be legal in Indiana with one of those.

Not sure how the residence-issue with getting a MI permit would work out, though. Might be worth a call to your home PD and inquire?

-J-

oifvet2id

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Indy
    If your state of formal residence is Michigan... Isn't it also your state of official residence if you're active military?

Could you get a Michigan permit? You'd be legal in Indiana with one of those.

Not sure how the residence-issue with getting a MI permit would work out, though. Might be worth a call to your home PD and inquire?

-J-

Yes Michigan is still my state of official residence. The CC laws are a little different in Michigan, you have to take a CPL course from an NRA instructor. While we are a shall issue state, you still have to take the training course, which I have no problem with. The problem is getting back home, when I do get home I want to spend time with my wife and daughter. Thought I might be able to satisfy the training requirements through someone down here. One of the previous replies stated that I should check out the training forum, I plan on heading there next.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think I may have found my answer to getting a CPL in Indiana, because I am serving in the military I am ineligible. So....my question is now this: can anyone recommend an NRA certified instructor for CC in Indianapolis?

I think you may be incorrect. I'm active duty military and have an Indiana LTCH. If I were you, I'd go ahead and use my Indiana address, and apply for a license. You might be surprised when they issue it to you.

oifvet2id

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Indy
    Its official, I am a retard....I forgot all about the freakin Camp Atterbury public range. LOL the really bad thing is I was just there about a week ago. I cant tell you all how thankful I am to have found this site and to be allowed to tap your knowledge.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Wheather you can get an IN LTCH depends on your "Offical Home of Record" ie: where you pay state taxes. IN does not issue nonresident LTCH, and if you still pay state taxes in MI using the "Resident" forms then you can not qualify as a resident of IN.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Wheather you can get an IN LTCH depends on your "Offical Home of Record" ie: where you pay state taxes. IN does not issue nonresident LTCH, and if you still pay state taxes in MI using the "Resident" forms then you can not qualify as a resident of IN.
    You may be incorrect on that. Ohio is my MHOR. I have my IN LTCH.

OIFVET2ID- just apply for one with your Indiana address. If you own or rent a home here it should not be a problem.

oifvet2id

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Indy
    You may be incorrect on that. Ohio is my MHOR. I have my IN LTCH.

OIFVET2ID- just apply for one with your Indiana address. If you own or rent a home here it should not be a problem.

I dont rent or own. The federal govt pays for my housing, I never see a rent bill, a utility bill, or any other type of bill for my housing. The only bill I pay associated with my housing is my internet. The Army takes care of the rest to include phone and cable tv. Heck, my apartment is even fully furnished.

Top Bottom