• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I like the explanation in the video and I would agree with the two guys who prefer to refer to them as Eastern Coyotes. Coywolf to me says a wolf mated with a coyote and according to these guys, it happened generations ago, but not necessarily every time.

If you look a the whitetail deer, there are different subspecies. The Borealis whitetail is generally larger than the Virginianus whitetail. A lot of it has to do with where they live.

I think it this is a similar situation. Though one of my co-workers swears she hears wolves howling at night near her country home and another guy said he saw a vehicle last week with 2 wolves on the hitch rack on the rear of vehicle. "Too big to be coyotes" is what he said.

If she doesn't know the difference it would be easy to mistake coyote howls for wolf howls. I hear coyote howls all the time, and there is quite a bit of difference in individual animals.
    Some coyotes can get pretty damn big, add in a heavy winter coat and they look even bigger. I've taken yotes that weighed in the 45-50 lb range but looked larger than a fair sized Lab or German Shepard due to their heavy coat.

[video=youtube;tRGDvPVaTIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRGDvPVaTIc[/video]

Cryptomundo » Mystery Canids Killed

Biologist: Animals that attacked dog not wolves | PerryCountyNews.com

Rumor down in the County was these were some wolf hybrids a guy had owned and released to the wild.....Brad69 or johntheplinker may come on to add some more details....They are "full timers" and I am just a "weekender" who is working his way to "full timer" status....

Perry County is the prettiest county in the State IMHO....

prd_029256.jpg
    2735bc3cd3ac907d4144f4f1236d9e23.jpg
    Perry-County-Indiana.jpg

Perry-County-Indiana-Celtic-Cross.jpg
    stelprdb5277960.jpg

You rang? I remember the incident you mentioned. Also know the neighbor who shot the first one the day of the attack. As far as them being wolf hybrids that were turned out, actually it was a she and not a he. Woman owned several wolf looking dogs, I drive past the house regularly. Easily 100+ lbs, don't doubt a couple were 150. When she got word what had happened she went up to Gatchel (only a couple of miles from her house) she started bawling and screeching about them getting shot, being such beautiful animals that kind of stuff, and when it was brought up about them possibly being her's, she shut up and left post haste. I also noticed the next week that there were no more big wolf looking dogs at her house. hmmm
    Have also heard that the ISU biologist's opinion and the Ky taxidermist's opinion on whether they were dogs or wolf hybrids somewhat differed. Not sure with who I agree with but with the sate's record of denying certain critters even being in the state (coyotes back in the 80's, bobcats, mountain lions, water moccasins, etc) I really have to wonder.
    Also I don't doubt that this isn't the first, nor last time that somebody has chucked some wolf looking or wolf hybrids out on their own. Being how dogs are pack animals, I could see a large male hybrid/looking one getting a position in a pack and in heat female attracting some attention from the male yotes and starting a pack.

ETA: Indiucky, where was that last pic taken? Looks familiar but I can't place it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Have also heard that the ISU biologist's opinion and the Ky taxidermist's opinion on whether they were dogs or wolf hybrids somewhat differed. Not sure with who I agree with but with the sate's record of denying certain critters even being in the state (coyotes back in the 80's, bobcats, mountain lions, water moccasins, etc) I really have to wonder. ETA: Indiucky, where was that last pic taken? Looks familiar but I can't place it.

Photo may be by the Roost???? I pulled it off google images....

In re the State denying things concerning wildlife my brother was catching Walleye along with Jack Salmon (sauger) at Rough River Lake for five years straight while Kentucky Fish and Wildlife argued there were no Walleye in Kentucky...My brother fishes Canada every season and KNOWS what a Walleye is......

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I think that’s Eagles Roost looking east pass the dam.
    John has the story of the Wolfdogs the same from what I have heard.
    The diversity of the Coyotes is amazing I witness them on a daily basis grey, tan, black ect.
    Size is also unpredictable I would be hard put to identify a Coywolf or Coydog by sight alone.
    Many of the local young men hunt Coyotes on a regular basis they would uncover any strange ones before the DNR.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Any big coyote is pretty much immediately labeled a "coywolf" by people that don't know what they're talking about.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    At one time I had a neighbor with a pet coyote and her half coyote half German Shepherd son. He had orange collars on them so HE or others would not shoot them. They had little fear of humans and attacked my dogs on my property while I was on a hike (unarmed). I told my neighbor about it and he said "just shoot them if it hapoens again". He ended up shooting his own halfbreed because it got BIG and aggressive. Another neighbor shot the mother.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Any big coyote is pretty much immediately labeled a "coywolf" by people that don't know what they're talking about.

Oh I don't know about that...Coywolves are real and first became noticed by biologist's in the late 70's/early 80's in Michigan...Now I know Michigan is no where near Indiana so I can not imagine any getting to Indiana in the last thirty years...I mean it's not like pack animals and predators move around much as their population increases is it???

ed28fe2b9388e7bdd1bac7d167cf25a1--coywolf-fallout.jpg

Alg_taylor_mitchell.jpg

If Taylor Mitchell were alive she would approve this message....But she's not....She got killed by imaginary Coywolves......

Mezzanine_333.png.crop.380x214.jpg

image-20160510-23446-gmv6zs.jpg

https://www.theindychannel.com/news...lf-has-been-spotted-in-southwest-indianapolis

Wolf found dead in Indiana was shot with rifle | Timber Wolf Information Network

Chances+of+Coywolf+Coywolf+requires+Eastern+Wolf+%28GLG+wolf%29+and+coyote.jpg

We have a thirty acre homestead in Perry County....We are very familiar with coyotes.......They sing to us at night.....

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Indiucky is putting on a class and schooling all of us now. Just kidding. I really like the charts and information you provided. Very good stuff Indiucky. :yesway:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    This big coyote appeared on my trail camera last year. This is a snipet from a video. The male coyote alpha dog is in each picture. The first picture he is by himself and the second picture is the alpha coyote and another coyote. These were taken last year on one of my Trail Cameras.
    Large Coyote Male Trail 3.JPGLarge Coyotes Trail 3.JPG

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Indiucky is putting on a class and schooling all of us now. Just kidding. I really like the charts and information you provided. Very good stuff Indiucky. :yesway:

It's an obsession I am afraid...Going back to my childhood Ranger Rick days in the mid 70's....:)
    89e56ab3466feb9249f87e5266dbf984.jpg

I got to see a Red Wolf in the wild in the Great Smokey Mountains about a year after they released them....Very beautiful....Sadly they were not successful...I have heard them howl at BWCA in about 1995 or 1996 and stepped in their poo while portaging my belly boat to another lake....

We saw the Red Wolf at Cades Cove and I googled up this image of one there.....

Red_wolf_watching_deer_at_Cades_Cove_-_Great_Smoky_Mountains.jpg

From the GSMNP website...

"The park’s efforts to reintroduce red wolves were unsuccessful. A number of factors were responsible for this failure, including low reproduction rates and high pup mortality. The wolves were removed from the park and relocated to the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina."

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    FROM THE DNR..

There has been a lot of talk about coyotes and "coywolves", so we would like to provide a little more information about these mammals. There are no records of coywolves in Indiana. There is a lot of misinformation around the term "coywolf", but in the Midwest, it is generally a term that is incorrectly applied to coyotes. There are currently no known wolf populations in Indiana. Hybridization is rare and can only be determined by genetic testing. Individual wildlife can vary, just like individual people, so hybridization should not be assumed becasue of appearance. Coyotes vary in color and size. They are usually a mix of gray and brown, but may be blond, black, red, reddish blond, or numerous colors inbetween. They tend to look larger than they are because of their long fur, especially in winter.
    More info on coyotes: wildlife.in.gov/5688.htm
    Info on telling the difference between wolves and coyotes: wildlife.in.gov/9576.htm
    Info on nusiance wildlife: wildlife.in.gov/2351.htm

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    FROM THE DNR..

There has been a lot of talk about coyotes and "coywolves", so we would like to provide a little more information about these mammals. There are no records of coywolves in Indiana. There is a lot of misinformation around the term "coywolf", but in the Midwest, it is generally a term that is incorrectly applied to coyotes. There are currently no known wolf populations in Indiana. Hybridization is rare and can only be determined by genetic testing. Individual wildlife can vary, just like individual people, so hybridization should not be assumed becasue of appearance. Coyotes vary in color and size. They are usually a mix of gray and brown, but may be blond, black, red, reddish blond, or numerous colors inbetween. They tend to look larger than they are because of their long fur, especially in winter.
    More info on coyotes: wildlife.in.gov/5688.htm
    Info on telling the difference between wolves and coyotes: wildlife.in.gov/9576.htm
    Info on nusiance wildlife: wildlife.in.gov/2351.htm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any time the state denies the presence of a species, I take it with about a pound of Morton's finest.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    They also deny the existence of water moccasins and we have them down in SE Indiana.

Took them years to finally admit they were in the SW. Back when I was a kid everyone knew they were in Buffalo Swamp near Jasper but the state was nope, no water moccasins there. Somebody went in there, killed a few then said, "o.k., if there are no water moccasins in Buffalo Swamp, then what kind of snakes are these?" The DNR was finally forced to admit that there were mocs in a few locations in the region. Supposedly Perry Co doesn't have any but I've seen a few snakes that damn sure look like them. Can't say for sure as I'm not about to get close enough to check, had enough close calls with mocs when I lived in the coastal area of Georgia.

Top Bottom