• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The private land where I hunt has seen decreasing sightings of turkeys and deer for the last three years. My wife and I found four deer bone piles this year alone which in the 8 years I have hunted this area is high. We usually find none or one. Are there other signs of coyotes that you can pick up on other than tracks? Trying to determine what kind of varmints I am dealing with, if any.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    One of the most obvious signs would be scat they tend to use their scat to mark their territory. You will see it in the middle of the trails, roads and paths. They usually walk their territory daily for evidence of outsiders entering their domain. When the walk they crap. You can tell it by the evidence of mice and animals in it more so than regular dog crap. Sightings of the predators would be the next obvious. They do tend to be very careful until the get hungry. But just because you never see yotes does not mean they are not there, you may never see them until you call them out in sight. If you see one yote you probably have 5 or more around that you have not seen.
    You can get a siren a toy or whatever you can come up with take it out after dark and let er rip with a very loud siren for about 30 seconds at a time or so. They will answer the siren with a howl. Sometimes a very loud horn like a train horn will work too but a siren is best.

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    i am in the same boat, Leadeye.

noticed really last spring....no turkeys gobbling. they gobble, coyote hears, turkey dies.

this winter, not nearly as many deer around. but lots of coyote tracks, scat, and the like. matter of fact, in a solid week of hunting 300+ acres of private land during ML season, i did not see a single turkey, nor did i even see a track. the property normally has a couple large flocks that live there....or did.

needless to say, been talking to the landowner about getting up there and cleaning house of the bastards.

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    We live in a mini-subdivision (5 homes) surrounded by farmland. I've always heard 'yotes in the distance but this year I've actually seen them at night in the fence row next to our house. They're either getting brave or hungry.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have seen the piles of crap in the ATV trails, sounds like I will take up coyote hunting.:ar15:

G3Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Southeast Indianapolis
    Recent deforestation is causing the yotes to adapt to less habitat.

Therefore, they are being sighted more commonly in or arround urban areas.

I'd say you have a yote problem, but then again I haven't seen your property.

Maybe if you could provide some pics of trails, we could help you out a little better?

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    One of the most obvious signs would be scat they tend to use their scat to mark their territory. You will see it in the middle of the trails, roads and paths. They usually walk their territory daily for evidence of outsiders entering their domain. When the walk they crap. You can tell it by the evidence of mice and animals in it more so than regular dog crap. Sightings of the predators would be the next obvious. They do tend to be very careful until the get hungry. But just because you never see yotes does not mean they are not there, you may never see them until you call them out in sight. If you see one yote you probably have 5 or more around that you have not seen.
    You can get a siren a toy or whatever you can come up with take it out after dark and let er rip with a very loud siren for about 30 seconds at a time or so. They will answer the siren with a howl. Sometimes a very loud horn like a train horn will work too but a siren is best.

Check the scat to see what they are dining on. Wear a dust mask and wash the scat. Thick bone fragments = deer, thin fragments and small bones = small game & rodents.

We have found bone piles and complete deer on our property as well, but these unfortunately were the result of poachers who have taken heads and left the body or, didn't have the skill to claim their illegal kill.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have a fried out by Sheridan that has a coyote problem he sees them around his horses quit a bit one night while we were outside as soon as the sun went down we could see them running aroun and then they started howling

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The bone piles we have found have all been does or young bucks. I have seen hair in the scat piles, have not checked them for bone fragments.

Top Bottom