• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I just got a Savage 30-06 and I want to try it out here in Indiana. Does anyone know where I can go and what I need to do to get started hunting these guys?

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I hunt them around corn fields. You don't have to go far to find them.

Hunt them at dusk. I'll use a blind and set up where I know they will be after putting up a trail camera.

They have great noses, eyes, and ears. Get a red light to spot them.

And 30.06 is overkill for them if you ask me. I hunt them with an 5.56 sometimes - usually shotgun with a heavy load.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    06 might be a little overkill but it will do the job. Put a nice optical on it and shoot away. Agree with everyone else, 5.56 works great for me too.

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    Unless you're keeping the hide, 30-06 is just fine. I use a .223, and it works just as well. :)

Finding spots is getting harder and harder, fyi. If you don't know anyone with land, it's a nightmare trying to get permission to hunt coyotes in central Indiana. I guess I kind of understand, but you'd think people wouldn't want them around...

usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    I'm going to use my 204 but 30-06 will do the job. I almost got a shot on one this year out ground hog hunting.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I've got a Ruger PC40 and a Marlin Camp 9. I know they aren't legal for deer, but would they be legal for coyotes? Or should I ask, are they legal for hunting any 4 legged critters?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Unless you're keeping the hide, 30-06 is just fine. I use a .223, and it works just as well. :)

Finding spots is getting harder and harder, fyi. If you don't know anyone with land, it's a nightmare trying to get permission to hunt coyotes in central Indiana. I guess I kind of understand, but you'd think people wouldn't want them around...

Gee whiz, I wonder why?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You can use either of those to hunt coyotes. You can use any rifle caliber too if I understand the regs correctly. Just not on deer.

You can hunt coyotes with lawn darts or hand grenades if you want to.

Just don't be surprised when you are invited NOT back or NOT in the first place. May be the guy they let the time before used a 30-06 or a Marlin Camp 9.:rolleyes:

What I can't understand is how we wind up hemmed in with all kinds of stupid laws, regulations, and red tape. It's like they think they have to legislate every iota of common sense to some people.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Thanks for the responses everyone...I got the 30-06 because it gives me a little versatility when I hunt on my grandpa's land in Virginia...There are black bears and I dont want to be shooting at him with something that will just **** him off

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    You can coyotes in Indiana with anything except a silencer. You can use night vision and a machine gun if you want.

Top Bottom