• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    For those 'seasoned' 'yote hunters here.... realistically, what do you estimate as your AVERAGE shot distance on coyotes (taken or missed)?

I'm certain there are a few here who could tell us spellbinding stories of successful heart shots at remarkable distances. I don't have that kind of 'exposure' or experience at it, but hunted quite a few years ago.... and I would guess my average shot (taken) would be about 85-100yards, and no more. I know I've taken several successful heart/lung shots inside 75 yards.

Never really taken any long. long shots on coyote..... but not all the 'amazing' shots involve distance.

I dropped two yotes with one bullet, back in 1985. Now it wasn't a one-shot/two kill scenario. Here's why. I had scouted this small group of coyotes for a couple months, off and on. I knew there was at least one real big male among them, and I felt sure that I had seen two big boys once, on the same run, on the same afternoon.

Anyway, I was set up on a quite cold, windy day... very little snow on the ground, but some falling. I was literally sitting on the ground (on a mat) in the tall grass... about 40 yards off what I had determined was their common run/path. This group of yotes did something that I thought (from my experience, at least)was a little odd. They always traveled "due North" evry afternoon, toward a small wooded creek bed. Most yotes I have hunted traveled mainly east in the evening and back west in the early morning (in an elongated 'oval' with some N/S travel). These, always made a long straight-north run that I would estimate at five miles or more.

Oops. back to the shot.

I don't know if I heard the first yote coming thru the grass, or just sensed it. She was big (I thought it was a male at first). The grass was taller than I anticipated.... when it came down to shouldering my rifle and taking aim on a yote. As she moved north (I was facing east), I would see her, then lose sight for a"a step or two" and then see her again. I raised up and sat on my heels.... and fired one shot at her just as she was beginning to move away from me, farther north. I had aimed right behind the base of her head, but two inches low. That .243 rang out and echoed pretty good across that grassy field, as it was surrounded on three sides by small woods.

I honestly didn't know if I had gotten that yote, or not. Of course I always follow up on any such shot.... so I headed NE to try and find a 'kill'. Within a minute, I heard, then saw... a thrashing in the grass.... but quite a ways up. I didn't think that yote could possibly run that far, that fast, if hit properly. The 'thrashing' calmed a bit, and I headed that direction.

Six or seven steps later, I come upon the female. Dead, motionless, shot thru the chest. She was damn big, and right then was when I realized she was "a she". Suddenly, I hear more thrashing. I grab my rifle and head farther NE. And wihin 50 ft there was another big yote, bleeding from his head area and unable to get up. I carefully approached him, and put a second round in his head.

All I can tell you is, that .243 bullet had to travel thru that females chest, hitting a rib upon exiting or something. and hit the male like a bad head-shot.... when I never knew the male was with her. I finally assumed that she must have been following/trailing him... but he was farther east and I couldn't see him in the grass.

Still took TWO bullets, tho.

So, what's your true average shot distance on coyotes????

Last edited:

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I Just want a place where I can go sit a pick'em off.... So anyone in the 317 area........ Let me know

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    It depends on the person really Ive hunted with guys that want to shoot soon as they see them, they get to excited... Have had them at 10yds but the farthest shot was prob. 300yds... If you can wait most will try to circle around you to get your wind or what ever they think it is they hear. "Meaning calls" But some will hang up and not come at all, the wind is what you want in your favor more then anything just like deer hunt'n.... The coolest hunt Ive have had was 2 yotes busted out of a woods coming down a fence row heading to me and my rabbit call and they were bite'n at each other trying to be the first one there, It was the most exciting hunt Ive had in a long time... I guess the best tip I could give is let them come untill you know there not gonna come any more or their about to get your wind, then let'm have it, plus start out calling with a low volume just in case they are close and if nothing comes in about 4-5min. call louder they may be farther off ??? Its not as fun as deer hunt'n but when deer seasons over theres some yotes in trouble... Good luck its a blast..

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Never had anything closer than 50 yards and nothing further than 220 yards. Only been at it for 2 years so I'm still learning a lot. I spend 99% of my time just waiting so I feel I have a lot of improving to do.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Only taken one yote back in VA 2 years ago and that was at about 75 yards with a .270win so that puts my average at...ummm...wait a minute while I calculate... oh yea, 75 yards.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me it's like every other woods shot 30-80 yards, I hear them long before I see the movement.:)

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    All of my shots have been over 100 yards and one was close to 300.
    I'd say the average is around 150.

AR15 16" barrel and 1-4 scope.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My initial reaction is to assume you're calling coyotes but I can't really keep track of how people are defining "coyote hunting" online anymore. Some are running dogs with a pistol on their hip, many are driving around with a rifle hanging out the window.

I only call coyotes. I've wiped blood mist off my face and I've maxed out a Bushnell 450 YardagePro but AVERAGE shot distance is 60-70 yards.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    not a ton of coyote kills under my belt, but most are about 100-125 yds. (furthest was about 285 at night on spotlight)

once they're near 100yds, I don't see much need to wait as long as I have a safe shot and good background

I'd love to get a shotgun kill, or even better a revolver kill on a yote

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I shot one at 300 yards but it didn't come in to a call. I'd guess the few I've shot have been about 50 yards average - longest shot on called in coyote about 115 yards.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Eh, revolver kills...................cooler is recurve ;)

oqRJEnq.jpg

Top Bottom