Coyote hunting... .223, .243, or .30-30?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    30-30 would absolutely destroy a coyote, no question there. My vote would be the .243 because of the versatility of the cartridge. Although if the maximum distance is only 100 to 150 yards, you could probably even use something as small as a .17 HMR with good shot placement. I know some farmers in New Castle that use a .17 for their Coyote problems. Very little recoil with rimfire.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    30-30 would absolutely destroy a coyote, no question there. My vote would be the .243 because of the versatility of the cartridge. Although if the maximum distance is only 100 to 150 yards, you could probably even use something as small as a .17 HMR with good shot placement. I know some farmers in New Castle that use a .17 for their Coyote problems. Very little recoil with rimfire.

He's not at all interested in "saving" the coyote... :)

If he's going to invest in (or be given one...ahem) a new rifle, it won't be in .22-250 at all.

I really do appreciate everyone's input on this.

I've actually begun to do a little price comparison shopping. Just wish Walmart didn't make it so difficult to look up their firearms prices online.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

I was going to jump in and post the same thing. A 17hmr at 100yds would take a down a coyote no problem. Cheap gun, cheaper ammo and at that distance you don't need an expensive scope either. Probably all set up and ready to go at $300 or so, and that includes 50 rounds of ammo. Something like a Savage 93. Mine is spot on at 100yds and I've taken coyotes and foxes with it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Amish farmers use the 12 gauge shotgun and 00 buck in Wells and Dekalb counties. That is what they have told me. I don't think they are lying.

There are a good number of people out there that use 12ga + 00 buck for coyote hunting. Gotta be in relatively close ranges, too.

He does have a 12ga - but I don't know that his barrel has removable chokes. Launching 00 buck out at the distances he'd need just may not be all that practical.

If we're going to talk about what "would work" - like the .17hmr - I'd say that he'd just as likely use his 10/22 or borrow a .22 mag from his brother.

Ongoing saga with him. Lots of ideas - no time. I remember him saying about 10 years ago that he wanted a .243 Win in order to start coyote hunting. But this was before he owned the land/livestock that he has now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Other than deer season my coyote kills are pest control, night and short range. 12 or 10 gauge, whatever's handy.:)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If no attachment to 30-30 sell or trade for 223. Ammo is cheap,and it shoots soft with more range. If on a budget but a scope on and be done. Bushnell has rebate on Trophy xlt right now.

If going 243 get 12 twist to shoot light bullets with. I have a 1-9 utilizing 80-100 grain pills. Leaves a hole you could stick your arm through
    I guess who cares if not having pelts.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I have a 223 for more hunting and about to purchase a 17 wsm to try out. Ive killed the with a 17 her and 22 mag also. He could get a single shot rifle and save a little money, 22-250 and 204 ruger are good climbers too

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since cost is a concern, and since it might be best for him to use a rifle he's more used to, he could use his .30-30 to take care of the problem with either a slip-on recoil bad, or he could get one of the really nice wearable recoil pads made by PAST.
    I use the PAST for shooting off of the bench or even prone with my .30-06, and I can shoot all day with it without any pain whatsoever.
    They make several different version with different pad thicknesses to allow the shooter to balance how it will absorb recoil with comfort.
    That should make the sting out of the recoil.
    It's a bit surprising to hear someone say the .30-30 has hard recoil, but maybe his rifle has a lousy butt pad, or maybe he's just recoil sensitive.
    He can take measures to mitigate the punch while sighting in and practicing, but he probably won't even feel it when shooting a yodel dog.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Update to the Update:

I got him a Ruger American compact in .223 and a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO w/ BDC. Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO V-Plex

He about cried when he opened it!

I also got him 40 rds of Wolf 55 gr "plinking ammo", and ~40 rds of JSP / HP 55 gr brass-cased hunting ammo.

A few days after Christmas, he bought himself some appropriate rings (Weaver, I believe) and set out to get it bore-sighted and then sighted in.

He really is tickled over his present!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Not a bad final decision.
    You took the recoil problem totally out of the equation, plus extended his range quite a bit, especially with that scope.
    Good for you by going for a bolt gun, and you can't go wrong with a Ruger.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Update to the Update:

I got him a Ruger American compact in .223 and a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO w/ BDC. Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO V-Plex

He about cried when he opened it!

I also got him 40 rds of Wolf 55 gr "plinking ammo", and ~40 rds of JSP / HP 55 gr brass-cased hunting ammo.

A few days after Christmas, he bought himself some appropriate rings (Weaver, I believe) and set out to get it bore-sighted and then sighted in.

He really is tickled over his present!

You did good. Borrowing the brothers .22WMR would have been cheaper, but where's the Christmas fun in that?

Top Bottom