• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The best rifle for shooting coyotes is the one that you will always have with you, and the one with which you can most most consistently make hits--quickly and accurately--when the chips are down.

Have you shot any one type of rifle a LOT? Like, hundreds and thousands of rounds? So much that you have an inherent "pointability" built into your brain for that type of chassis? If so, choose something in that rifle type, as there's no reason to reinvent the wheel unless you absolutely have to do so.

For cartridge, I prefer a "more power" approach to coyote shooting, frankly because they are remarkably tough animals, and I refuse to make one suffer at my hand if I could have prevented it. A .243 Winchester gets it done, but within certain limits, I'd probably feel okay about drilling one with the AR, using the 65 Gameking load I have for it. Then again, I'm not after a pelt.

I'd personally go with a rifle with no more than a medium-weight sporter barrel, no more than 7.5 pounds scoped and loaded (even if I had to use smaller mags to get there), repeat capacity no less than 4+1 (but 30 is not needed), a good trigger, and capable of being loaded to 3/4 MOA accuracy potential. It should further have either wood or rubber grips/stock, and an ability to easily mount a low-medium power variable magnification scope in the 30-40mm objective size, 30mm tube; the optic itself should further have, or have aftermarket support for, target or tactical-style knobs whose setting is visible to the shooter from behind the rifle. It needs a decent synthetic sling capable of at least a good solid hasty-position; this is not the leather padded carrying straps available at your local Walmart. A sling is for shooting, and a shoulder-strap carried rifle = safe coyotes (thus my strict weight requirements: I need to be able to carry the rifle varying between port arms & a low ready all day unless sitting or prone.

-Nate

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I ran across a pack of yotes last year during bow season.......Needless to say the big boy leading the pack ended up with a rage hyperdermic in his skull. Don't always need a gun! But when I do its a 204 or 556 and damn fun. Anyone got a lead on what fur prices are this season?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I ran across a pack of yotes last year during bow season.......Needless to say the big boy leading the pack ended up with a rage hyperdermic in his skull. Don't always need a gun! But when I do its a 204 or 556 and damn fun. Anyone got a lead on what fur prices are this season?

I have a Howa 1500 Sporter in .204 Ruger that is a sweet coyote rifle.
    The round might not be for everyone, but check out the Howa 1500 series rifles.
    Very nice triggers and as accurate as I need.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I run my 204 in an ar platform, for fast follow up shots. My father in law has a howa 1500 in 223 and I agree for the money they are a nice weapon!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

X2 on the Howa 1500. A very accurate rifle that comes with an awesome trigger, hogue overmold stock. When I was researching a new bolt action for coyote, I found multiple magazine articles and reviews that said the Howa for the money was one of the best bolt guns around. It is basically a Weatherby Vanguard. I picked one up in .223 and it has been a tack driver.

You can find them occasionally at Rural King of all places and they are 100.00 cheaper there than most places.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Years ago my bud took a 40# one over by Lafayette, kind of an uncommon deal back then. 52gr Speer HP from .223 flopped it deader than heck, 150 yards.
    When we skinned it the whole offside shoulder and neck was purpled. Impressive.

He still owes me for skinning that rancid beast. 2 guys skinning while one pukes outside the garage. Rotate til job is complete :)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Stock was done by Mike Cross out in NM years ago.

View attachment 41654

The 22 CHeetah is a .308 BR case necked to .224. CHeetah on the left, 22-250 on the right, as you can see it gives much more case capacity.

View attachment 41655

Okay, stop it!
    I need a drool cloth now.
    I'm no expert here, but is that Tigerstripe Maple?
    I've heard of .22 CHeetah, but I didn't realize how huge the case was.
    I'm assuming you get well into the 4,000 fps range with it, even with 55 grain bullets, unlike the famed Swift, which can only do that with 40-45 grain pills, right?
    A quick check indicates that it was developed by none other than Fred Huntington and the now retired Outdoor Life gunwriter Jim Carmichael, hence the capitalized "CH" in the name of the cartridge.
    I grew up reading Jim C., and it was a sad day indeed when he retired.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Okay, stop it!
    I need a drool cloth now.
    I'm no expert here, but is that Tigerstripe Maple?
    I've heard of .22 CHeetah, but I didn't realize how huge the case was.
    I'm assuming you get well into the 4,000 fps range with it, even with 55 grain bullets, unlike the famed Swift, which can only do that with 40-45 grain pills, right?
    A quick check indicates that it was developed by none other than Fred Huntington and the now retired Outdoor Life gunwriter Jim Carmichael, hence the capitalized "CH" in the name of the cartridge.
    I grew up reading Jim C., and it was a sad day indeed when he retired.

stock is walnut actually...pretty decent grade tho. For years I loaded a 55 grain at 4100 in the CHeetah, now with shorter ranges here in Indiana I load to about 3900. Rifle is on it's second barrel now.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    How far apart is the .22 CHeetah from the .22-243 Middlestead?

The shoulder angle is steeper on the Middlestead, but what about neck length? (Edit: wait a minute...so CHeetah I is a 40-degree, and CHeetah II is a 28-degree? That's sorta opposite the normal progression. What gives?)

From the outside, they LOOK like they should be virtually identical in practical application.

Sheesh... .220 Swift just wasn't swift enough, I reckon. :)

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Either one look like they'd really punish on both ends of the ballistics.

Cool rifle.

-Nate

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    coyote is the only fur that hasnt crashed. fur buyers are sayin price bout the same as last year. i averaged 25$ on trapped fur stretched and dried. top dogs brought 50$ low dogs brought 5$ and 5 brought 0$. yotes with big bullet hole unskinned maybe 5$

Top Bottom