• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    While pulling into my drive tonight my step-daughter said look, a coyote! I was pulling into the garage when i ran inside, grabbed my 243 and ran back out. He was standing in my neighbors field directly north of my house. (I have spoken with the landowner and he has told me to shoot on site.) I guessed him around 300 yds, put the crosshairs on the top of his back and let her fly. My daughter yelled, "YOU GOT HIM!" He fell at the shot, spun a few times and was off for the races. I saw him duck under the fence into a patch woods owned by a not so friendly neighbor. So i drove down to his house and asked if i could retrieve the yote and was told no by the landowners wife :xmad:. This landowner called the cops on my daughter when she was eight for turning her fourwheeler around in his field, I know she was in the wrong, but i think he went a bit overboard. So i went home, grabbed the rangefinder and found the shot was a little bit farther than i had guessed.......387. I think by the reaction of the yote, and the yardage miscalculation i hit low chest or leg. I walked out to where he was shot and found good blood, but i can't do anymore than that. On the plus side, i might not have to hear my dogs go nuts tonight :yesway:.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    If you can you ought to go on all sides of the property that you can't go onto and see of the yote ran out. Try n look for a blood trail!!

Already done on the two sides i have permission to be on, blood going in but not out. Drove around the block to see if he was laying in the field but didn't see anything. I'm thinking he's laying in the woods down for the count. :dunno:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    While pulling into my drive tonight my step-daughter said look, a coyote! I was pulling into the garage when i ran inside, grabbed my 243 and ran back out. He was standing in my neighbors field directly north of my house. (I have spoken with the landowner and he has told me to shoot on site.) I guessed him around 300 yds, put the crosshairs on the top of his back and let her fly. My daughter yelled, "YOU GOT HIM!" He fell at the shot, spun a few times and was off for the races. I saw him duck under the fence into a patch woods owned by a not so friendly neighbor. So i drove down to his house and asked if i could retrieve the yote and was told no by the landowners wife :xmad:. This landowner called the cops on my daughter when she was eight for turning her fourwheeler around in his field, I know she was in the wrong, but i think he went a bit overboard. So i went home, grabbed the rangefinder and found the shot was a little bit farther than i had guessed.......387. I think by the reaction of the yote, and the yardage miscalculation i hit low chest or leg. I walked out to where he was shot and found good blood, but i can't do anymore than that. On the plus side, i might not have to hear my dogs go nuts tonight :yesway:.
    What is your setup? :)

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Coyotes will often turn and bite the area where they are hit, if they can reach it. Or spin around to look for whatever just hit them.

If you have a 100 yard zero and your POA was the top of his back, you were still maybe minute of coyote at 387 yards....16" of drop or so for a middling 243 load.

Coyotes are hard to kill without good center hits. Or headshots. But if he is badly hurt his friends will probably finish him off.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Coyotes will often turn and bite the area where they are hit, if they can reach it. Or spin around to look for whatever just hit them.

If you have a 100 yard zero and your POA was the top of his back, you were still maybe minute of coyote at 387 yards....16" of drop or so for a middling 243 load.

Coyotes are hard to kill without good center hits. Or headshots. But if he is badly hurt his friends will probably finish him off.

It has a 200 yard zero, 300 its about 5" low. Thats why i aimed at the top of the back, but it drops another 10" from 300-400.

tuckdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Good shot regardless. If you find the dead coyote go put him on your neighbors porch as a gift!!!

Top Bottom