• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deere john

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Hello, i am new to this forum.
    Is any one interested in old west guns or "cowboy guns" as I like to call them ?
    I am looking for a 1873 lever action 44/40 rifle and a single action 44/40 revolver.
    I have looked at cimmaron arms and uberti arms, does anyone knows of amyone else that makes these guns or knows anything about these two companys.

Thank you

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    Uberti makes The Cimmaron rifles as well,they are good guns but they do need the action work done to them.For the revolvers look at U.S. Firearms made in Conneticut,I've had a couple of these and the are very well made.In fact they are made in the same building that Colt made their single action revolvers.Whittakers gun shop in Owensberg Ky. carries a good selection of what you are wanting.I hope this helps.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hello, i am new to this forum.
    Is any one interested in old west guns or "cowboy guns" as I like to call them ?
    I am looking for a 1873 lever action 44/40 rifle and a single action 44/40 revolver.
    I have looked at cimmaron arms and uberti arms, does anyone knows of amyone else that makes these guns or knows anything about these two companys.

Thank you

Essentially, Uberti makes most of the 1873 rifles and a bunch of the Colt SAA clones. Companies like Navy Arms, Cimmaron & EMF import them and do some extra work on them to make them their own, but the base gun is still Uberti. I've not really heard or seen any quality issues with the Uberti line, sure, there's a bad gun every once in a while, but the Cowboy Action Shooting competitors rigorously use and abuse these guns constantly and they just keep going.

I've got an Uberti 1873 rifle in .45 Colt with 24" barrel, I've shot it on average a couple of times a month during the warmer months and it just keeps ticking along.

The only 1873 rifle I'd steer clear of are the Chaparral made models, I've seen one that one of the guys got to run after sending it to 4 different smiths, then it broke after 6 matches. Seriously, just don't.

As for the revolvers, I like the Ruger Vaqueros as they are tanks, but if you want a true Colt SAA clone, go for USFA or the Uberti guns. USFA makes a better Colt at this point than Colt, but if you have to have a Colt, buy a Colt. Berretta makes a clone that has a transfer bar safety, I don't really like them, but it does have a safety, if that's important to you.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    GOOGLE: 44-40 for beginners. This artical was on the levergun.com site, and is an acurate account of ruger vaquero's. My top shooter is a Italian clone. With 33grs 0f GOEX under 200gr lead its a tack driver.
    With the 73 clones internals are suspect. Early models had brass works which can corrode quickly and wear with smokeless powders. Kits are available. Marlin makes a great cowboy model in 44-40 a little haed to find but worth the effort.
    Be sure to slug your barrel and check the throats for correct bullet sizing.

Top Bottom