• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

diverjes06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    GREENWOOD
    I have watched Cowboy action both in person and several times on the tube. It's looks like fun, I am really interested in the period, and shooting old "Wild West" type guns would be fun; however, I do have the following issues:
    1. Having to become someone else. As I understand it, "playing the part" has now be codified into the SASS guidelines. This would be the biggest issue. I see no reason I should try to be someone else
    2. Having to obtain an entire suite of guns for only this sport.
    3. Costume...although, I'm sure something basic and not too elaborate could be worked out
    4. Having to reload specially for this sport. As I understand it, only certain types of bullets, powder, etc are allowed.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I have watched Cowboy action both in person and several times on the tube. It's looks like fun, I am really interested in the period, and shooting old "Wild West" type guns would be fun; however, I do have the following issues:
    1. Having to become someone else. As I understand it, "playing the part" has now be codified into the SASS guidelines. This would be the biggest issue. I see no reason I should try to be someone else
    2. Having to obtain an entire suite of guns for only this sport.
    3. Costume...although, I'm sure something basic and not too elaborate could be worked out
    4. Having to reload specially for this sport. As I understand it, only certain types of bullets, powder, etc are allowed.

#1 No persona is required. Some choose to do so.
    #2 Why would you only use the guns for cowboys, heck you can use em to deer hunt with!
    #3 :yesway:
    #4 Lead bullets only, you need to meet a maximumum velocity of 1000 fps for pistols and 1400 fps for rifles.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sounds like the clothing and the gear are the big hold ups for people getting involved. Is it possible to have an "Outlaw" category like they do in some other matches (ICORE) that allow other folks to get involved? Perhaps if someone was in an "Outlaw" class they could:

1) Wear normal clothes
    2) Shoot normal-ish gear (double action revolver, Glock or 1911) in a leather or kydex holster
    3) Use normal names

If it is anything like the other matches I go to, folks are more likely to invest in the "proper" gear only after they've been able to try out the match a few times with less-than-perfect gear.

I'm not the Match Director here, so I totally respect it if Cowboy Action shooters choose not to incorporate these ideas. That being said, if your goal is to increase the number of folks involved, I've found that listening to hard criticisms like the ones on this thread typically only improve a match.

As far as #2 why? If Glocks etc were allowed it wouldn't be a Cowboy match so whats the point?!!! There is already IPSC and IDPA or ICORE for all the Glock, Double action revolver or any DA/DA shooters.
    SASS did start a Wild Bunch category a few years ago where 1911's are allowed. It was designed after the movie Wild Bunch and allows competitors to use one 1911 instead of 2 revolvers. But the rifle has to be at least 40 cal and the 1897 win's can have 4 rounds in the tube. Supposedly they are to allow win model 12's next year (heard that at a local match by an RO) The Wild Bunch group has proven popular.

As for #1 and #3 you can go as minimal or advanced as you want on the clothes and the name especially at a local club match.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sounds like the clothing and the gear are the big hold ups for people getting involved. Is it possible to have an "Outlaw" category like they do in some other matches (ICORE) that allow other folks to get involved? Perhaps if someone was in an "Outlaw" class they could:

1) Wear normal clothes
    2) Shoot normal-ish gear (double action revolver, Glock or 1911) in a leather or kydex holster
    3) Use normal names

If it is anything like the other matches I go to, folks are more likely to invest in the "proper" gear only after they've been able to try out the match a few times with less-than-perfect gear.

I'm not the Match Director here, so I totally respect it if Cowboy Action shooters choose not to incorporate these ideas. That being said, if your goal is to increase the number of folks involved, I've found that listening to hard criticisms like the ones on this thread typically only improve a match.

As someone else already mentioned, if you want to shoot your 1911/Glock/double action revolver there are plenty of shooting games for that. The folks that enjoy the dress up and character aspect of it shouldn't have to accommodate those that want to shoot steel with modern guns at a SASS type of match.

I'm not involved in it and I'm not 100% sure if I will get involved but I'm pretty much a couple SA .357s, boots, collar-less shirt, and a hat away from doing it. I've been invited by a guy I bought a .357 lever action from and I've done a bit of research, time is the biggest factor right now.

From what I've read and heard, the costuming is really only all that strict at big matches and at a bigger match if it is very hot, that goes out the window because they want people to still be able to be comfortable and have fun.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    As someone else already mentioned, if you want to shoot your 1911/Glock/double action revolver there are plenty of shooting games for that. The folks that enjoy the dress up and character aspect of it shouldn't have to accommodate those that want to shoot steel with modern guns at a SASS type of match.

I'm not involved in it and I'm not 100% sure if I will get involved but I'm pretty much a couple SA .357s, boots, collar-less shirt, and a hat away from doing it. I've been invited by a guy I bought a .357 lever action from and I've done a bit of research, time is the biggest factor right now.

From what I've read and heard, the costuming is really only all that strict at big matches and at a bigger match if it is very hot, that goes out the window because they want people to still be able to be comfortable and have fun.

sepe -- You're just a "stone's throw" from a great club in Etna Green (Cutter's Raiders) and sleinoid44, who started this poll, is a member there. Knowing the guys there, you shouldn't have any problems borrowing pistols for a shoot. Don't worry about dress, just go shoot. I think they shoot the 1st Saturday of the month, and try to go 'year round'. Good luck and come join the fun.... Grizhicks

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Cowboy action shooting is not for everyone. I tell anyone interested to come out when we have a match and watch. If you want to shoot a stage, there isn't anyone there that wouldn't let you use their guns and furnish the ammo. It is best to shoot some different models and calibers before buying. Some like side by side shotguns others like model 97's. Shoot a stage or match, then you can see if this is something for you. You don't have to have everything to start, we'll loan you what you don't have. As far as costuming and an alies, you can take it as far as you like. If anyone is interested, check us out at www.cuttersraiders.com/ or send me a message. We are located about 5 miles west of Warsaw IN.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis

I think your comments are fair about Item #2 (using Glocks / 1911's) and most people seem to agree with you. It also sounds like if the SASS guys wore normal clothes and used normal names, many more new people would be likely to give their sport a try.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think your comments are fair about Item #2 (using Glocks / 1911's) and most people seem to agree with you. It also sounds like if the SASS guys wore normal clothes and used normal names, many more new people would be likely to give their sport a try.

For me, that would be the key to sustaining and even growing the sport. I understand and agree with keeping the firearms regulations, but ease up on the clothing and definitely on the names. If I would regularly shoot with people, after awhile I would want to know who they really are.

Something to keep in mind: As we get farther away from an era, interest tends to wane. Younger generations just can't relate. Look at the prices of Model A's compared to 60's and 70's era muscle cars. But shooting guns is always fun! And shooting CAS guns is fun even if they aren't high cap, etc... But younger guys might want to wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and introduce themselves as, say; Greg.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I bought a old model vaquero and had Bob Munden do a tune up job on it and bought a big Jake holster and here it sits. I would hate to sell it for all the money I have into it now. I am into AR's and modern guns now. Bought my first 1911 and am hooked on the action matches.

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I don't know anyone in my area that shoots SASS. I know my local club shoots two matches a month. The locals are t on the local gun boards like y'all are here encouraging shooters to come give it a try. Personally in not a big fan of the dress up stuff I just like to shoot.

What is the minimum western wear needed at a match?

Where is the best place to find info on the guns I need to play the game?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't know anyone in my area that shoots SASS. I know my local club shoots two matches a month. The locals are t on the local gun boards like y'all are here encouraging shooters to come give it a try. Personally in not a big fan of the dress up stuff I just like to shoot.

What is the minimum western wear needed at a match?

Where is the best place to find info on the guns I need to play the game?

For a local match normally the minimum. Hat, boots some type of older shirt (it's not suppose to say anything on it Carhart etc) Jeans are normally OK too (but after a couple months you might want to add some to that). Just show up as you are and most CAS folks will let you shoot a stage or 2 with their gear just for your Gee Whiz's.

Top Bottom