B: Bought guns to do it and just never did it
    C: Thought about it or still thinking about it
    D: Just aint gonna happen

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought about it when I first heard about it, but back then I couldn't afford all the guns and gear. Now I'm busy with modern firearms and don't want to put the time in to cowboy guns it would take to be good.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I went to one and just couldn't get into the whole "cowboy" pretend thing,

Silly comments like Cell phones are fancy telegraphs,

Old guys who's gun handling was less than perfect.
    Relics that should be hanging on a wall shooting ammo that was probaly too hot for it 75 years ago.

I'm glad the people who like it have a place to go do it. This is America (for now?) and individuals should do what they enjoy. So More power to you if thats your thing. Just don't ask me to get into it.

I'll take Polymer and High Cap mags over a paperweight and 5 rounds any day

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I'm not sure I could get into the name thing either. I saw a Youtube about some guy using the moniker "Dotcom" I mean what the heck kinda name is that? He was very good, but really?
    I have the guns and I always wear a western hat and usually boots, but I always have. Grew up in the country and raised horses. And I love my SA and even have the holster and gun belt to put it in (from El Paso Saddlery). And if the SHTF that will will be my sidearm of choice as I am fairly good with it. Also have a Marlin lever action .30-30.
    But I'm not really much of a joiner anyway and all my auto, AR15 family think I'm a throwback even though I can shoot as well as they can...and my guns don't jam.

shopgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I never could get past the dress up and nickname thing. It seems to be dying in northwest IN. The last scores posted at NPCCC were from July. They had seven shooters.

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    trying to get the guns while not breaking the bank didnt know about the name and dress up hell if i were to go i'd be showing up in what i normally wear with a gun belt on nothing fancy fun is fun but professionally competing not priority

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like the clothing and the gear are the big hold ups for people getting involved. Is it possible to have an "Outlaw" category like they do in some other matches (ICORE) that allow other folks to get involved? Perhaps if someone was in an "Outlaw" class they could:

1) Wear normal clothes
    2) Shoot normal-ish gear (double action revolver, Glock or 1911) in a leather or kydex holster
    3) Use normal names

If it is anything like the other matches I go to, folks are more likely to invest in the "proper" gear only after they've been able to try out the match a few times with less-than-perfect gear.

I'm not the Match Director here, so I totally respect it if Cowboy Action shooters choose not to incorporate these ideas. That being said, if your goal is to increase the number of folks involved, I've found that listening to hard criticisms like the ones on this thread typically only improve a match.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    There is a OUTLAW class. You still need to dress period correct, but you shoot your pistols and shotgun from the hip. Rifle is still shouldered. Whats the big deal dressing period correct? Blue jeans a collarless shirt like a 'henner', a cowboy hat and boots your good to go. At most monthly matches boots arent even a must. Most of us will share are guns and leather if somebody wants to try it out. Heck after a couple matches you dont feel outta place wearin the period correct clothes. Its just a mindset.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    D.

I'd consider coming to shoot... tennis shoes, jeans/cargos, ballcap. And call me by a given name, screename, "hey you," or "dumbass." No other nicknames needed or answered to.....

The hard part would be finding a free weekend to do it. There are so many available matches w/ equipment I am more interested in (aka modern) that finding a free "filler" weekend is almost impossible.

Good on ya for doin it, Variety is the spice of life, and the more shooters we have fighting the grabers the better.

-rvb

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Blue jeans a collarless shirt like a 'henner', a cowboy hat and boots your good to go.

So the outfit costs:

Jeans $30 + Shirt $20 + Cowboy hat $30 + boots $100 = $180? Granted most folks would have jeans at home, but for me that means I'd need to invest $160 just to try a sport, before I've even bought any ammo or guns.

Like RVB said, with so many options for events out there, I think it's really up to matches to try and appeal to new shooters. If requiring folks to dress up is working for SASS, then I can see why they stick with it. If, on the other hand, it is the biggest single reason why new shooters don't try SASS, they might want to take a look at relaxing that requirement a little to encourage new shooters to give their sport a try.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    If you want to come and try it heck any of the clubs will put leather on you, give you guns to try and walk you thru the stage or stages weather your in khakis a tee tenny shoes and a ball cap. It dont make know difference if your interested and want to give it a go. We have new ppl all the time that come and shoot. They dont shoot with the posses, they get a guided one on one with the range officer. An alias (nickname) is what I know pple by. Most of em I dont even know their real names. Its all in good fun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like the clothing and the gear are the big hold ups for people getting involved.

1) Wear normal clothes
    2) Shoot normal-ish gear (double action revolver, Glock or 1911) in a leather or kydex holster
    3) Use normal names

I agree with number 1 and 3. I am okay with staying with period guns though. To me that is what differentiates it from 3-gun. Plus, a SA revolver, lever action rifle and double barrel shotgun are pretty "normal" guns if you ask me.:)

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In 2007, I bought a Ruger New Vaquero and a leather holster and gun belt. I practiced with it a lot (when .45 Colt ammo was cheaper), but never got around to doing any cowboy action competition. I still think about it, but I doubt it will be on the agenda for quite some time.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I joined 10 years ago have 2 sets of guns and all the outfits. I have yet to play though. Ammo is expensive. I have a reloader and once I get someone to show me how to reload I will start shooting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom