• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    Well, I received some Christmas money this year instead of gifts. I figure I would buy a new rifle, since I dont really have a dedicated coyote or long range gun. I was looking at Dunhams the other day and they have a Remington 770 combo in .243 for $300 and a Savage .223 combo w/o accu-trigger for about $350. Im not really looking to break the bank, just want something some what cheap to shoot and can reach out a bit for yotes and other cridders. I was thinking the .17 HMR, as it is a nice gun with cheap available ammo. But I dont think it will do much damage to the varmits past 100 yards. Any advice?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Stay away from the 770. I've had this conversation with a couple of coworkers, one last night actually. One guy bought the 770, against my recommendations.

Outside of THAT guy, my other cheapskate associations who have bought the 710 and 770 stuff, none have kept them. They didn't hold on to them long either. A 700 ADL synth is around $400 new (not a perfect rig but I think much better).

Bargain rigs, expect to lose even more $ trying to sell one off used.

The Savage Axis I had shot well, after some work. Easy fixes. But after that the stock still sucked, no aftermarket. You'll probably need a better scope base, EGW makes a 1 pc that has multiple slots. That's another $40 bucks.

Here's the write up I did:

Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Got it.......Savage Axis .243

Last edited:

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    .243 works on chucks and yotes, and is deer legal in some states :)

What he said .
    .243 all the way . Awesome round and readily available .

No exp. with the savage , but I HAD a 770 and it sucked . Accurate gun but the rest was terrible.

If it were me , I would watch the classifieds and wait for a good used one in your price range . Why settle for less quality new rifle when you can get a nice used rifle for little to no more money .

jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    OR....I did pick up a decent AR right before the panic buys. I dont have much ammo right now, but I like the idea of converting it to a .22 for plinking and letting the kids shoot. I could save a bit more cash, and get a dedicated .22 upper and leave the .223 for yotes and cridders...

SchwartzStock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    If you buy the cheapest 700 you can find you will always have the basis for building a dream gun later on. Not to mention it is much easier to resell a 700 if need be than either the savage of the 770.

SS

jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    I went to a LGS and their prices for the same guns were WAY over priced. I may see what else I can find as well. But I am pushing towards the Savage as it comes with the Bushnell Scope as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I went to a LGS and their prices for the same guns were WAY over priced. I may see what else I can find as well. But I am pushing towards the Savage as it comes with the Bushnell Scope as well.

I wouldnt put much (30 bucks) value in the scope that is included. The rings and base is worth more than the scope

Top Bottom