Could global embargo of US trigger SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I was thinking that a UN endorsed trade embargo of the US could trigger SHTF. Imagine some environmental decree put forth by the UN that the US refused to adopt or adhere to.

What ramifications would occur if US assets abroad were frozen in a manner similar to that of Libya, Iran, Iraq etc.?

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Who's going to enforce this embargo? Who's going to pay to keep the lights on in that slab of granite in NYC?

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    CarmelHP has it right. "What, you're freezing us out? OK..." *click* "Sorry, we need all the electricity for our residents in New York. Gotta shut down anything non-essential. PS... Ya'll might want to GTFO to your own countries before we start issuing ration cards for food."

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Reminds me of a skit from Chapelle's Show...."Black Bush"

dave-chappelle-black-bush-600x405.jpg

UN, you get problem with that? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh! wait a minute! You don't have an army! So I guess that means you need to shut the **** up! That's what would I do if I don't have an army, I would shut the **** up. (leans towards microphones on the podium) Shut. The. ****. UP!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If all trade with the US stopped tomorrow, then yeah, the S would definitely hit the F for a while. Food would rebound quickly (we export a LOT that we could sell domestically), and energy would rebound eventually (coal production would skyrocket, and we would start drilling). Manufacturing would take a LONG time, though. So much is done oversees, it would take a while to rebuilt it here.

However, I would guess that a LOT of other countries would cry "UNCLE!" before we did. Once our food exports, energy exports, and "foreign aid" payments dried up. For instance, Canada can't afford to stop trade with us, and neither can Mexico. There are several smaller countries that would cease to exist if they couldn't sell to us.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Since the US is a permanent member of the Security Council, this will not happen. That is unless our UN representative would fail to veto the action. All permanent members of the SC have a veto, and it only takes one.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    That's pretty funny cause we would be ok pretty quick outside of manufacturing which would lt take long. Outside if our fancy gadgets that is.
    This is in fact all out foreign aide money's stayed home all our food export to keep us fed and the many other things to be kept on shore. Oh an the fact the UN wouldn't have a place to be for a while. Drawbacks? Few

indybuell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Bargersville
    It could never happen. If the US were to get black balled by the UN, we would just pull out of the useless organization, and it would collapse.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    We can only dream....Yeah, we would be fine and much more quickly than suggested by others. Besides, why on earth would such a thing ever be considered? Do you know the history of the UN? WE brought the architects of hitlers third reich HERE for the sole purpose of creating the UN. Yes, that's right, the UN is of our own design (with a little help from uncle adolphs henchmen).

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    It seems many folks are focusing on the UN aspect. I only used that organization as an example.

The Kyoto Accords would disproportionately hamper the US in the world marketplace. Therefore, nations (e.g. China) who seek to gain/increase a competitive advantage in manufactured goods have a motivation to see it implemented.

Debtor nations beholding to China could, in theory, be manipulated to support sanctions in some form against us. I am not talking about a blockade ala Cuba.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If this happened it would unleash the industrial spirit of the American entrepreneur.
    China would ignore it or starve. We would be forced to use biofuels for a time and release oil leases for actual use. (Europe would ignore it too or be forced to defend their own
    borders, also S Korea and Japan.) In a short time we could tell the middle east to
    GFYS and eat their oil...And all immigration would cease.
    In other words ...it aint gonna happen.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It seems many folks are focusing on the UN aspect. I only used that organization as an example.

The Kyoto Accords would disproportionately hamper the US in the world marketplace. Therefore, nations (e.g. China) who seek to gain/increase a competitive advantage in manufactured goods have a motivation to see it implemented.

Debtor nations beholding to China could, in theory, be manipulated to support sanctions in some form against us. I am not talking about a blockade ala Cuba.

A zombie apocalypse is more likely. The Chinese, in particular, need us more than we need them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom