• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    In the middle of a cosmoline removal process and I'm tearing my hair out over the barrel. I can't get my camera to cooperate with me and post pictures, but I've got the assemblies soaking in mineral spirits.

I have no idea how to soak the barrel. I thought maybe plugging the end up with puddy and filling the inside up?

Anyone done this before? Help? :xmad:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Heat it up....

When I was single, I would place them in the oven at about 110* with a pan to catch the drippings. Now I use a heat gun....

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    for my mosin i used a short section of 2" PVC wit a cap on one end. just zip tied it to my bench leg to hold it upright and put the barrel in. filled it with spirits and left it alone for a while

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    for my mosin i used a short section of 2" PVC wit a cap on one end. just zip tied it to my bench leg to hold it upright and put the barrel in. filled it with spirits and left it alone for a while

Holy crap, that's genius! Time to go check the shop for some PVC.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Use the oven get my vote just make sure u catch the drippings cause your wife will use your newly clean gun to shoot u lol

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    If I can't find any PVC wide enough, I might have to grab the wife's hair dryer and use that heat method! Thanks guys!

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I'd just take a trash bag or big piece of old carpet under the gun, and use a hairdryer. Once that stuff heats up, it just oozes right out.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Thanks for the help, guys. Couldn't find any PVC wide or long enough, so I just used the heat idea. Worked like a charm.

Now on to the fun part... cleaning and oiling. haha

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    101 ways to do it but I've heard PvC and a old short gutter. I used blue towel and poured orange degreaser down the barrel and then have a old barrel brush after about 30 minutes and finally some heavy patches out of old towel and it is good.
    My wife hates the smell so she would kill me if I put anything in the oven. Hahaha

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The easiest way unfortunately is a summertime only method, but it's by far the easiest.

Wrap the rifle in a dark black trash bag and put it on the dash or rear deck up next to the window of your car and park in the sun on a hot day with the windows up. The greenhouse effect and the black trash bag will evenly heat up the rifle and the cosmoline will come pouring out of the rifle. Then just remove and do some clean up.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I just put 300 rounds down range and wiped it with a towel, nothing gets a barrel heated like some good ol 7.62x54r

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom