• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Yet regardless of her lack of knowledge and the idiocy she chooses to let come out of her mouth she has found an audience. One big enough to get her up to the top of the hill. And the MSM is pushing her face on us 24/7. THis is the truly scary part.

She's good click-bait, so the MSM will keep her front and center until something better comes along. Something I didn't see coming was that because she's so radical in her beliefs, she is already causing waves within her own party. Could be interesting watching how that plays out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    She's good click-bait, so the MSM will keep her front and center until something better comes along. Something I didn't see coming was that because she's so radical in her beliefs, she is already causing waves within her own party. Could be interesting watching how that plays out.

Agreed. It will be pure theater after she gets on a roll.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am probably alone here but I don't yet believe she is an idiot. She may be, but I'm not there yet.

Rather, she is a naive, optimistic progressive who cannot see the trees for the forest. In this regard neither can most other people, progressive or conservative.

We have $21.8 trillion in debt.

We have about $150 trillion (give or take about $50 trillion) in unfunded liabilities.

We are spending about $800 billion more than we take in, and it is getting worse.

Doctors and nurses do not control costs. Almost all of them belong to large medical conglomerates that control costs. Try finding a independent doctor in a metropolitan area. I tried in Ft. Wayne and found maybe(?) two (2). All the rest had been gobbled up by Lutheran or Parkview.

The problem is no one who is fiscally conservative has sat down with her and IN A NICE WAY had a debate using cold, hard numbers. It's like trying to talk to people who are against mass shootings, and so come to the conclusion that more gun control is needed. Few sit down not being on the defensive and discuss with gun owners the sad fact that mass killings CANNOT be stopped. This is a sad truth gun owners understand, but still dislike as much as the gun control folks.

Her and people like her believe in trying to achieve Utopia. Economists look at the big picture, but fail to see the work of each individual tree that really makes up the forest.

I don't believe her to be an idiot. However, when she (or anyone) is attacked they will get defensive and entrench themselves, and then there is no going back. On both sides...

Regards,

Doug

Doug, she’s not going to debate a competent sane person. Doesn’t even have to be a conservative. Just someone knowledgeable, competent and sane. She doesn’t have anything to win by that. She can only lose. She has more to gain by doing what she’s doing even if she sounds stupid doing it.

She didn’t get to where she is by reasoning her way there. Reasoning with her likely won’t bring her back from bat****opia. She is a marxist ideologue. It would take a full intervention to deprogram her from that cult.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Doug, she’s not going to debate a competent sane person. Doesn’t even have to be a conservative. Just someone knowledgeable, competent and sane. She doesn’t have anything to win by that. She can only lose. She has more to gain by doing what she’s doing even if she sounds stupid doing it.

She didn’t get to where she is by reasoning her way there. Reasoning with her likely won’t bring her back from bat****opia. She is a marxist ideologue. It would take a full intervention to deprogram her from that cult.

I'll admit I'm hooked. Not because her philosophy makes sense, but because I can't wait for the next idiotic thing she says or does. How stupid can you be to go around high fiving protesters outside Pelosi's office on your first day in Congress? If it hasn't already happened, I'm guessing there will be an old-timer or two tell her what time it is.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I like her idea of getting young people of color to primary all of the old white democrats.

Take the whole party to Bat****opia. I stole Bat****opia from jamil and believe it should go viral.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I like her idea of getting young people of color to primary all of the old white democrats.

Take the whole party to Bat****opia. I stole Bat****opia from jamil and believe it should go viral.

:yesway:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to blue falcon again."

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'll admit I'm hooked. Not because her philosophy makes sense, but because I can't wait for the next idiotic thing she says or does. How stupid can you be to go around high fiving protesters outside Pelosi's office on your first day in Congress? If it hasn't already happened, I'm guessing there will be an old-timer or two tell her what time it is.

I agree. She’s good for entertainment purposes... Not much else though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I don’t think that matters much anymore. This is about purging people who aren’t in with the program. Democrats who cling to any piece of free market capitalism, aren’t fully on board with intersectional feminism, for whatever reason, are outsiders and should be purged. They’re very open about that. Cortez has said she’ll work with the current democrat power structure, but I think that means to the extent they agree with her, much like how 0bama first said he’d work with Republicans.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would enjoy seeing her in a discussion or debate with any high-profile conservative, but she simply won't do it. Ben Shapiro offered Cortez ten grand towards a charity of her choice for debating him, but she accused him of "catcalling" because he's a man. When conservative women like Candace Owens stepped up and wanted to debate, Cortez wouldn't even give them a response. She knows she will get destroyed by any of them because she's ignorant about the topics she preaches on. That's what happens when you're motivated by feelings rather than facts.

In all fairness Shapiro isn't known for being "nice." I like Shapiro, and agree with him more than I disagree. However, he is known for being extremely caustic and a button pusher. In all honesty I'm ignorant of Owens. I don't know who she is.

Doug, sheÂ’s not going to debate a competent sane person. DoesnÂ’t even have to be a conservative. Just someone knowledgeable, competent and sane. She doesnÂ’t have anything to win by that. She can only lose. She has more to gain by doing what sheÂ’s doing even if she sounds stupid doing it.

She didnÂ’t get to where she is by reasoning her way there. Reasoning with her likely wonÂ’t bring her back from bat****opia. She is a marxist ideologue. It would take a full intervention to deprogram her from that cult.

I donÂ’t think that matters much anymore. This is about purging people who arenÂ’t in with the program. Democrats who cling to any piece of free market capitalism, arenÂ’t fully on board with intersectional feminism, for whatever reason, are outsiders and should be purged. TheyÂ’re very open about that. Cortez has said sheÂ’ll work with the current democrat power structure, but I think that means to the extent they agree with her, much like how 0bama first said heÂ’d work with Republicans.

I'm not talking about doing anything public, but rather a nice, civil discussion over dinner or in a small group.

I believe you are correct on the internal power struggle within the democratic party. The extreme progressives are going to go to war with the moderate progressives, the outcome of which has yet to be determined.

I learned in a history class long ago that revolutions are started by two (2) major causes: sheer human misery OR rising expectations. See Russia 1917 for sheer human misery. But see American Colonies 1776 for rising expectations. We were taxed LESS than British citizens in England. We had greater freedoms, but we wanted MORE and we wanted it NOW! Britain was slow to move so we pushed and revolted.

The point of bringing up the causes of revolution are parallel to the democratic party. We have wind power, today. We have solar power, today. We have the technology for tidal power, today. The progressives want to move to wind and solar and other renewables - today! They want criminal justice reform - today! They want Pres Trump gone - TODAY! The problem is that the reasonable, middle progressive democrats who still have power know that you cannot get everything you want right now, so they're going to try to put the breaks on the the extreme progressives. The question in my mind is this: will the moderate democrats be able to convince the progressives they must move slower than they'd like OR will the extreme progressives push back and start a war? (And if they do, who will win?)

-----------------------

To part of the original posting: I believe everyone elected (NOT just Cortez) IS AN IDIOT that doesn't push for one (1) of three (3) main fiscal courses, those being; #1) reduce spending by $900 billion per year, #2) increase revenues by $900 billion per year without raising spending, or #3) cutting spending by $450 billion AND raising revenue by $450 billion (or some variation of this.) (Caveat: I believe this is how much we are overspending, if I am in error then change the numbers to correct for that. Thank you.)

Until we can balance the budget and get our spending in line which the republican party HAS thrown out the window as a value then we are idiots! We cannot keep raising the debt when we have massive unfunded liabilities that are going to bite us in the proverbial A** - YUGE! When we reach a tipping point and go over the cliff there will be NO turning back. All stocks will lose value. Companies and industries will collapse. Savings will be gone. Systems will fail completely. This must be gotten under control ASAP or else we are facing a total failure eventually. And that eventually is closing in.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Doug,

I think having any conversation with Cortez in which she would have to defend her beliefs simply could never happen. She already believes she’s right. As I said, she did not reason her way into believing what she does. I think she got there much the same way a cult derives belief. You can’t reason with ideologues. They have to be deprogrammed. It’s more fruitful to counter her nonsense by pointing out the lunacy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am probably alone here but I don't yet believe she is an idiot. She may be, but I'm not there yet.

Rather, she is a naive, optimistic progressive who cannot see the trees for the forest. In this regard neither can most other people, progressive or conservative.

We have $21.8 trillion in debt.

We have about $150 trillion (give or take about $50 trillion) in unfunded liabilities.

We are spending about $800 billion more than we take in, and it is getting worse.

Doctors and nurses do not control costs. Almost all of them belong to large medical conglomerates that control costs. Try finding a independent doctor in a metropolitan area. I tried in Ft. Wayne and found maybe(?) two (2). All the rest had been gobbled up by Lutheran or Parkview.

The problem is no one who is fiscally conservative has sat down with her and IN A NICE WAY had a debate using cold, hard numbers. It's like trying to talk to people who are against mass shootings, and so come to the conclusion that more gun control is needed. Few sit down not being on the defensive and discuss with gun owners the sad fact that mass killings CANNOT be stopped. This is a sad truth gun owners understand, but still dislike as much as the gun control folks.

Her and people like her believe in trying to achieve Utopia. Economists look at the big picture, but fail to see the work of each individual tree that really makes up the forest.

I don't believe her to be an idiot. However, when she (or anyone) is attacked they will get defensive and entrench themselves, and then there is no going back. On both sides...

Regards,

Doug

You do realize that 50% of that debt is owed to us (ie. US Citizens) in the form of Social Security and government pensions (civil and military) per this article.
    https://www.thebalance.com/who-owns-the-u-s-national-debt-3306124

So if we really want to get rid of our debt we can "magically" just stop the social security program and slash 35% to 40% of our debt overnight. I'm not sure of the legality of doing that to the .gov pensions. The .gov could probably get away with it as well but maybe after a court battle.

The simple solution is in front of our face but no one has the ba...s to actually do what it needed and end the program that is killing us.

We all know that fast food (ie., McDs, Bk, Wendys, KFC, etc..) is bad for us and will kill us. Yet we are unwilling to give them up either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You do realize that 50% of that debt is owed to us (ie. US Citizens) in the form of Social Security and government pensions (civil and military) per this article.

So if we really want to get rid of our debt we can "magically" just stop the social security program and slash 35% to 40% of our debt overnight. I'm not sure of the legality of doing that to the .gov pensions. The .gov could probably get away with it as well but maybe after a court battle.

The simple solution is in front of our face but no one has the ba...s to actually do what it needed and end the program that is killing us.

We all know that fast food (ie., McDs, Bk, Wendys, KFC, etc..) is bad for us and will kill us. Yet we are unwilling to give them up either.
    That won’t get done, and not because no ONE has the balls to do it. It won’t get done because we live in a representative democratic crony plutocracy, under which not just ONE person’s balls is sufficient to end social security and whatnot.

The point isn’t about the crony plutocracy, but more about Overton and his ***damn window. The plurality of people don’t want it. So even in a pretend republic, there is not enough public support for that. THAT’s why that won’t get done. If anything, the people want more entitlements not less. Balls have nothing to do with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That won’t get done, and not because no ONE has the balls to do it. It won’t get done because we live in a representative democratic crony plutocracy, under which not just ONE person’s balls is sufficient to end social security and whatnot.

The point isn’t about the crony plutocracy, but more about Overton and his ***damn window. The plurality of people don’t want it. So even in a pretend republic, there is not enough public support for that. THAT’s why that won’t get done. If anything, the people want more entitlements not less. Balls have nothing to do with it.

In all of this the SS scheme was fluid until the vaults were stripped of assets when....????? and by whom...???
    It is impossible for any person in power to let that much money sit untouched. Impossible.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

As much as I really really really want to get rid of SS we cannot slash and burn. Ask anyone retired on these boards what would happen to the majority of their friends, family and neighbors if SS just stopped next July? It would be a nightmare of epic proportions.

My solution, with a broad brush would be something like this:

#1) Everyone under age 18 today does NOT get any SS (olde program).
    #2) Everyone over age 40 today stays in the current SS system.
    #3) A new retirement program is introduced that is 100% controlled by the individual worker, self directed, and is 100% vested from the beginning. They also get to name a beneficiary.
    #4) Everyone under age 18 today is automatically 100% enrolled in the new program.
    #5) Everyone age 18+ to 40 gets a bit of benefit from each.

In this way the olde(current) SS system is slowly phased out. The people on it now will die off, reducing the burden. The hybrids (18+ to 40) will be far less of a burden and will also eventually die off, again reducing the burden on the system. Finally, in about 65 years the olde SS system will be gone save for a few octogenarians and nonagenarians that would be insignificant to the system.

While it could be argued by a purist that no forced retirement should be in place, I have seen that people are too stupid or lack too much discipline to save. Ergo, while I disagree philosophically with my own idea I believe it to be the lesser of two evils, the second being an elderly class of homeless who could cause far too much chaos and burden to the system without a forced, pretax retirement system.

The other problem is that this does nothing to address the much larger problem of unfunded liabilities. Those numbers are vast and beyond measure. Even my numbers were an guess at somewhere in the middle of what the extreme ends are. I have seen numbers as low as $90 trillion and the latest at $230 trillion.

To dig ourselves out my way would be very painful. To do nothing will cause much greater pain. However, I stand by my statement that any elected politician that doesn't try to serve their nation and address this problem holds the title of IDIOT, not just Cortez.

I still believe her to be a naive, well meaning, Utopian minded young lady who has been fed crap data and wants the best for everyone without truly understanding the costs it would take and the burdens that already exist. I don't hate her for this and I don't fear her. I do fear that neither conservative or progressive has the moral fortitude to attempt to tackle these truly monumental problems. President George W Bush just mentioned reforming SS and he was shut down faster than the idea free sex in a Nevada brothel. In some ways we are a cowardly people, sad to say.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom