• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I had to go in to a large clinic recently to have some biopsies done and I wore a quality N100 respirator mask that happens to have an exhaust valve. I wore this mask to protect me. This was not a simple mask or a cheap mask. I know what it is for. When I went in all they did was give me a cheap disposable little ear-hook thing to put over my real mask to "protect" everybody else, thus making everybody happy. This is by far the riskiest place I have been since this whole chinese virus thing started.

I have to go back soon for the surgeries and I will do the same thing. It is my responsibility to protect me so I do it the way I wish. The little mask over my exhaust valve is their policy and that is fine - it is their clinic. It is extremely unlikely that I am infected but I can't be 100% positive so wearing their little mask in a clinical setting to protect others is fine with me.

I even see people wearing masks at the gas pumps when I'm filling my truck. I won't wear a mask of any kind to do that - at least not until they arrest me a few times. :)

Mandatory masking is about one thing and one thing only: compliance, compliance, compliance.

If it was not there would be standards for the mask, putting it on, taking it off, disposal, etc. Funny meme the other day said if covid is as bad as they say, wouldn't there be hazardous waste disposal collection boxes all over to dispose of them in? I get a huge kick out of the folks just laying their masks on restaurant tables...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I saw a guy yesterday driving in a Jeep, by himself, with the top and doors off, and he was still wearing a mask... The stupid is strong with him.

I have to confess that wearing a mask has been so routine that a couple times I've found myself driving (in my car, with the doors and roof in place) out of the parking lot of my office still wearing mine.

If I had a Jeep with the doors and top off, I think I'd remember to take it off, though. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mandatory masking is about one thing and one thing only: compliance, compliance, compliance.
    :tinfoil:
    If it was not there would be standards for the mask, putting it on, taking it off, disposal, etc. Funny meme the other day said if covid is as bad as they say, wouldn't there be hazardous waste disposal collection boxes all over to dispose of them in? I get a huge kick out of the folks just laying their masks on restaurant tables...
    Did you stop and think about how that might work?

And just how do you disseminate this standard?

How do you make sure everyone's wearing the right mask?

How do you even determine this protocol you think should be there if it's real?

Who's going to go around and install and maintain these hazardous waste disposal collection boxes?
    And why exactly don't those already exist for facial tissues?

The fact is, it's completely impractical to do that. Its almost as if those in power actually thought this through in a competent manner....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I saw a guy yesterday driving in a Jeep, by himself, with the top and doors off, and he was still wearing a mask... The stupid is strong with him.

OK, so I may have done that once or twice - Stop at store X, get into the car and drive a block to store Y...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Who's going to go around and install and maintain these hazardous waste disposal collection boxes?

The fact is, it's completely impractical to do that. Its almost as if those in power actually thought this through in a competent manner....

Don't bring your logic in here...it's a belief system.

I have to admit though, the: "If it wasn't just about compliance they'd make us comply with more stuff" argument made me smile.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't bring your logic in here...it's a belief system.

I have to admit though, the: "If it wasn't just about compliance they'd make us comply with more stuff" argument made me smile.

:laugh:

I didn't even read it like that, but you mentioning did made me chuckle at my desk.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If the only purpose for mandating masks were to condition people to comply, then mandating more standards would be unnecessary. Okay. So that sounds kinda valid. The conclusion follows the premise. I could buy that logic if not the premise.

If the purpose for mandating masks were to limit the spread of covid, and the authorities mandating the masks believe that worn masks could be full of virus which could be spread if handled improperly, then authorities would mandate the handling of masks too. That one is not so valid because the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow from the premise. Even if authorities believe handling masks improperly would spread covid, there may be many more reasons why they wouldn't mandate that too.

So what makes you think that the purpose is to condition people to be compliant? Several of you guys repeat this claim often enough. I'd like to hear an explanation of why it has to be about compliance? What is your evidence for that? How have you ruled out all the other possible reasons for mandating masks?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Why require at all if not requiring it to be done right? Is this a serious problem? Then it requires serious actions, not half azzed measures, similar to the protocols for the mask studies some here love to quote. If it is as serious as they claim it should be no big deal to set up hazardous collection locations.

You bring up the why question for other colds and flu's and that one really worries me. Where does this stop? Is covid definable in a way that actions taken ostensibly to curb it are not applicable to them?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why require at all if not requiring it to be done right? Is this a serious problem? Then it requires serious actions, not half azzed measures, similar to the protocols for the mask studies some here love to quote. If it is as serious as they claim it should be no big deal to set up hazardous collection locations.

You bring up the why question for other colds and flu's and that one really worries me. Where does this stop? Is covid definable in a way that actions taken ostensibly to curb it are not applicable to them?

Define "to be done right".

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. There does have to be some pragmatism involved here.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If the only purpose for mandating masks were to condition people to comply, then mandating more standards would be unnecessary. Okay. So that sounds kinda valid. The conclusion follows the premise. I could buy that logic if not the premise.

If the purpose for mandating masks were to limit the spread of covid, and the authorities mandating the masks believe that worn masks could be full of virus which could be spread if handled improperly, then authorities would mandate the handling of masks too. That one is not so valid because the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow from the premise. Even if authorities believe handling masks improperly would spread covid, there may be many more reasons why they wouldn't mandate that too.

So what makes you think that the purpose is to condition people to be compliant? Several of you guys repeat this claim often enough. I'd like to hear an explanation of why it has to be about compliance? What is your evidence for that? How have you ruled out all the other possible reasons for mandating masks?

In my view compliance makes a segment of the population feel better. If one were to review the progression of mask use it was not driven by science and medicine, it was driven by do-gooders on social media, then picked up as a narrative by the media, (that became hell bent on making Trump wear one) then the democrats tagged onto the issue. These groups went after corporations and started the mask wars then they all went after the politicians not onboard and forced them to issue orders. Some corporations used masks as a way to skirt distancing rules and keep their stores full, looking at you Menards...

I never said nor implied it was for conditioning purposes, just virtue signaling, and an expression of power that "we can make you wear a mask"...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So good enough is ok for your surgery protocol or do you want it done right?

sAcMDjv.gif

Please ignore that it's a football ref giving soccer penalties.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I never said nor implied it was for conditioning purposes, just virtue signaling, and an expression of power that "we can make you wear a mask"...

Well, you said compliance, which others have used to promote the idea that it's for conditioning.

And the last part of that sentence is exactly that - "get used to this, public: we can make you do XXXX."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Please ignore that it's a football ref giving soccer penalties.

As a former soccer player and devoted soccer fan, I can only say that you suck. :) "Yellow flag" is American football. "Yellow card" is soccer.

But, to agree with you on the other thing, surgery and social policy are about as alike as American football and soccer. Football and soccer are sports. Surgery and social policy are decision-based exercises. After that, the similarities become few.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom