GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

On this hypothetical statement, it occurs to me this announcement by the governor is kinda analogous to a community that has an ordinance on the books and a sign(s) up saying it’s illegal to possess a firearm in community owned park. People that have seen the sign(s) refrain from carrying because the sign (announcement) has been made and they don’t want to break the law. Back to the governor’s EO, our church has specifically referenced the governor’s orders in the deliberations of whether to cancel services. It’s not hypothetical.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don’t disagree with your approach, but sources absolutely matter. Am I reading opinions from some guy who just googles things and posts the ones that support his worldview, or does this person have direct knowledge? IMHO, I’m putting a lot more stock in what HoosierDoc is seeing from the frontlines than any mathematical model you can present. If people learn anything from this situation, I hope it’s that experts matter more than Karen on Facebook and her rambling “research.” I have spoken to SM via PM, so he hasn’t ignored my questions. I just think credentials matter very much in these situations.

Fauci has impeccable credentials, but has had several versions of his theory of where we're going and may have any number of additional revisions

Feynman was not a rocket scientist when he provided the critical insight into why the Challenger exploded

You're looking for the best mind, not necessarily the most impressive degree

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    See if you join my religion the Path of Enlightened Eleven Lions you can worship from afar!

You can worship with just a donation!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've never posted that religious gatherings should be prohibited, and I don't feel that way. You know what they say about ASSumptions...

I'd respond in kind with a ridiculous assumption about you based on your posts, but to tell you the truth, none have ever made an impression.

:coffee:

I'm about as far from an atheist as one can be....and I agree that it is both legal and prudent for churches not to gather at this time.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My point was I am OK using COVID-19 as the cause of death instead pneumonia when it is COVID-19 induced pneumonia and instead of suffocation when it is COVID-19 induced suffocation. It is pretty normal to use the disease as the cause of death instead of the specific final layer of failure.

I think a default cause of death is a phony thing. They should have at least most of the COVID-19 symptoms and better yet all of the COVID-19 symptoms as well as a positive test before naming the cause of death as COVID-19. However this is where the problem starts. There is still limited testing being done in some places and the lack of a positive test raises questions on the validity of the determination. I would guess at least some flu deaths and some pneumonia deaths are being attributed to COVID-19 because of the lack of testing. I don't think 100% complete testing or autopsies are a realistic option. I do not have a canned answer for this situation. I believe they are required to put something down.

I do not know what they have done in past outbreaks. I agree it would be good to do something very similar to the past provided what they did in the past made some sense, while also allowing for evolution of the process when that makes sense. Unfortunately political games are more pervasive than they used to be and, like it or not, the reality is they are probably playing a part in this whole mess. As we go down this path I bet there are more doctors and coroners being influenced by their political views and expressing them in their determinations. If so, that is sad and a bit sick.

Agreed, and the case can be made for going toward the other extreme also. Failure to include deaths that should be attributed to CoVid 19 just distorts things in a different direction. That's why i was hoping they would not stray to far from past criteria used to attribute death to something like a strain of flu, because comparison to similarly gathered hsitoric data may prove illuminating

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Until the Chinese weapons biolab in Wuhan suffers from more escaped mutated samples. Then there won't have any way to tell them apart because all the vials of vaccines will be labelled for the Wuhan virus.

If that happens, as long as they're within the primary blast radius it won't be necessary to tell them apart

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "Between both political parties constantly trampling all over the Bill of Rights and stretching and distorting the Constitution for political gain whenever it's convenient, I just don't know how much more abuse it could have taken," said one doctor as he pronounced the Constitution's time of death: 20:20, ironically.

The 232-year-old Constitution has had its share of health scares, nearly being killed in the 1860s, the 1930s and 40s, and the early 2000s, but medical experts say this last crisis was just more than it could take.

"It had many underlying conditions, of course, already being incredibly sick with Obamacare, Obergefell, Roe v Wade, the Patriot Act, and many more diseases," said the doctor. "But it's still sad to see this old boy pass on."

https://babylonbee.com/news/constitution-dies-of-coronavirus

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    And that's why you have your own special safe zone called the "religious discussion" thread. Perhaps you need to stay inside the chalk circle.
    I don’t have any “safe zones” I will say this though that my previous post that started this was pretty much a personal shot that I admit was out of line. I should not have went there and sidetracked the discussion which was certainly relevant. For that I apologize to R45.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But it should be a choice.

It is legal to prohibit gatherings. The governor, of course, did not have to or could have made exceptions, but in my analysis (and I blew 1/2 day of time researching this) what he has done thus far is legal. Of course, "legal" does not mean it was the best of all choices. Frankly, I don't know it it was or not. It is important to remember that the risk of gatherings is not limited to those who choose to gather. If it were, then it would be an easy choice to say "make your own decision".

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I read an article today that said something like 74% of people fully support the “stay at home” orders being given out by our elected leaders. Where we really have to be on guard is allowing this stuff to happen now to translate into a green light for post-9/11 type new laws “for-our-own-good-to-keep-us-safe-from-future-events” from being enacted. Because they and all of their new, expanded government power, will be “legal” then as well.

THIS^^^ Much like prohibitive language was added to state constitutions or enacted in bills after the unconstitutional seizures of personal firearms during the Katrina 'emergency', the same needs to be done for the overreach determined from actions during this problem

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    News from Italy:

- Number of new cases down
    - Number of new deaths down
    - Number of hospitalized down
    - Number of ICU patients down
    - Number of newly discharged patients up

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is legal to prohibit gatherings. The governor, of course, did not have to or could have made exceptions, but in my analysis (and I blew 1/2 day of time researching this) what he has done thus far is legal. Of course, "legal" does not mean it was the best of all choices. Frankly, I don't know it it was or not.

I’m not arguing what the established legal thinking believes what is “legal” only what it should be. ;)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm about as far from an atheist as one can be....and I agree that it is both legal and prudent for churches not to gather at this time.

I agree with this for the most part, but I also understand why churches would want to remain open. As my pastor says, "the church is the community's spiritual hospital. Hospitals don't close their doors in times of sickness. They do everything they can to treat the ill."

That said, they are abiding by the Governor's order while still doing all they can to stay connected to the congregation and serve the community safely, including passing out 110,000 lbs. of food and donating 160,000 masks to local hospitals in the past month.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom