• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So if I said the mortality rate is 50%, would you dispute that number? 40%? 30%? 20%, 10%? What about 1%, .9, .8....1%? What lower and upper bounds would you accept?

I think there is enough data to narrow it.

Given the variability involved in the confidence interval, it is, for all practical purposes, the same as saying that we have no clue what the mortality rate is. We know that it is non-zero. We know that it has an upper bound, based on testing the most at-risk/most symptomatic. We more or less don't know anything between those two limits.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    we are a private group staffing st Francis Indy. we are the second busiest ER in the state annually.

we are about 50% of our normal volume and slowing every week. every covid patient I have seen isn't that sick. my partners have seem some sick ones. many people getting off ventilators and discharged. usually they come in around day 7 of illness and get worse over the next few days so I don't see them sick unless they waited too long to come in.

soooooo many people are not coming in. that means we're missing cancers, heart attacks, etc. guy the other day had a huge popped lung but wasn't coming in because he was told to stay away unless severe symptoms. so much of that

I wish that was the case here. Our ER has seen no sign of slowing down. Still people coming in with sore thumbs and headaches. Our hospital is no longer allowing any visitation, except in some end of life situations. Last night was pretty intense. Had multiple traumas come in, two gunshot wounds, and the steady stream of people with minor ailments kept coming in. Felt like a normal day.

We've seen a number of CoVid patients in the ER, and we have a wing of the hospital sealed off for those patients requiring inpatient treatment. We have also had some pass away who had the disease. It's not quite as bad here as it is in Indy, but many people are projecting that within a couple weeks, we'll catch up. Too many people around here acting like nothing is wrong. Our undomiciled population continues to drink themselves into oblivion, and come into the ER damn near unconscious every night. I've personally seen what seems like an increase in heroin overdoses. Had five in one weekend, two of which I pulled out of cars and gave Naloxone. One was long dead when I pulled her from the car, the other ended up waking up and going home that night. We're getting shootings almost every night, sometimes several in one night. It's the status quo in South Bend. Maybe that will change once the virus hits us harder here, but I doubt that. The people in this city can't be bothered to change their behavior for even a short period to help stop the spread of this thing.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I will share. I was getting checked for COPD like symptoms that I have had for a while. I worked in a foundry for 17 years and in metal finish for over 10. So, I have had breathing inconvenience for a while. I'm to go in for the next round of testing and have been rescheduled for May as of now. I'm on a CPAP and had conjestive heart failure in 2000. I take my temperature many times a day. Coughing is normal for me. Even the deep breath and hold for 10 second test is irrelevent in this case. I figure that as much as I am concerned I may be hiding in the house for nothing an could be the person that gets over it like it is a mild cold. I don't have that many years left to walk this Earth and would hate to be wasting what I have hiding from the boogy man.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just saw on the news Logans has closed all their steakhouses in the country permanently. That stinks, we had two here in town we would frequent every now and then.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Just saw on the news Logans has closed all their steakhouses in the country permanently. That stinks, we had two here in town we would frequent every now and then.

Permanently?? The one here is closed, but I figured it was because of the virus. That's terrible news. Texas Roadhouse is still open for carry out and you can also buy raw steaks there.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Permanently?? The one here is closed, but I figured it was because of the virus. That's terrible news. Texas Roadhouse is still open for carry out and you can also buy raw steaks there.

according to an article I found, yes.

observation, I work at a tv station and networks have stopped covering the daily briefings all together on the network itself.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Logan's has been on life support for a while now. Not surprised the shutdown would finally finish them off.

On another note, I took a walk around downtown Fishers today and there were a decent amount of people out. Walking dogs, riding bikes, running, etc. Everyone was keeping their distance, but felt like a sort of normal Saturday except that all the shops and restaurants were closed.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Logan's has been on life support for a while now. Not surprised the shutdown would finally finish them off.

On another note, I took a walk around downtown Fishers today and there were a decent amount of people out. Walking dogs, riding bikes, running, etc. Everyone was keeping their distance, but felt like a sort of normal Saturday except that all the shops and restaurants were closed.

To me, Logan's was a Poor mans Texas Roadhouse with steaks the quality of the old Ponderosa/Bonanza's with the exception of no salad bar. The salad bar at Ponderosa was worth it weight in gold.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    To me, Logan's was a Poor mans Texas Roadhouse with steaks the quality of the old Ponderosa/Bonanza's with the exception of no salad bar. The salad bar at Ponderosa was worth it weight in gold.

Yes not nearly as good as Roadhouse, Logans had gone down quite a bit over the last few years.

The locations here in town you would walk into and they were on a 2 hour wait with the restaurant maybe 1/3rd. full. They could either not keep help or the managers would not schedule enough staff to keep down cost. Either way, we would walk in then walk right back out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    we are a private group staffing st Francis Indy. we are the second busiest ER in the state annually.

we are about 50% of our normal volume and slowing every week. every covid patient I have seen isn't that sick. my partners have seem some sick ones. many people getting off ventilators and discharged. usually they come in around day 7 of illness and get worse over the next few days so I don't see them sick unless they waited too long to come in.

soooooo many people are not coming in. that means we're missing cancers, heart attacks, etc. guy the other day had a huge popped lung but wasn't coming in because he was told to stay away unless severe symptoms. so much of that
    A "popped lung" isn't a severe symptom?? It sounds severe to me as a layperson. "Honey, I think we'd better get you to the hospital!" "Nah, I just popped a lung. I'll be fine in the morning." :n00b:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Braved a trip to Duluth today. n95 was worn,and saw probably a third wearing masks.

It was a good trip as I found yeast. Something I was short on. Yes I know about sour dough starting of bread,but I like yeast bread more. Picked up enough for 30-40 loafs of bread and they had plenty more after I left.

Now the people having picnics,fishing,biking,and running on the paved trail as you head north out of Duluth concern me. Saw quite a few groups together with way more than 10 people cooking out and having a great time on a beautiful day. If it was just one house hold having a cook out it would not be an issue,but you could tell multiple families where involved. Best of luck to them,but it may not end well for them and their families.

I think perhaps 50% of the people I saw where trying to distance and take precautions,the other 50% seemed oblivious to what is going on even though Duluth has 16 confirmed cases,including one worker from Silver bays taconite plant in the hospital.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Braved a trip to Duluth today. n95 was worn,and saw probably a third wearing masks.

It was a good trip as I found yeast. Something I was short on. Yes I know about sour dough starting of bread,but I like yeast bread more. Picked up enough for 30-40 loafs of bread and they had plenty more after I left.

Now the people having picnics,fishing,biking,and running on the paved trail as you head north out of Duluth concern me. Saw quite a few groups together with way more than 10 people cooking out and having a great time on a beautiful day. If it was just one house hold having a cook out it would not be an issue,but you could tell multiple families where involved. Best of luck to them,but it may not end well for them and their families.

I think perhaps 50% of the people I saw where trying to distance and take precautions,the other 50% seemed oblivious to what is going on even though Duluth has 16 confirmed cases,including one worker from Silver bays taconite plant in the hospital.
    Wow... "taconite". Now that is a word I've not heard in a long time. We used to go up to Minnesota a lot when I was a kid. I remember having a couple of steel balls that they used in the big tumblers to crush up the taconite ore.

If people would observe proper social distancing, then I think getting outside is probably a good thing, if just from a mental health standpoint. I've "moved" out to my deck from now until probably late October or early November (It's basically my outdoor living room). It's improved my mood substantially to be able to sit and look at the flowers and trees starting to bloom, other trees starting to leaf out, smelling the smell of freshly cut grass. All stuff I would be missing if I was still stuck in the regular living room.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Wow... "taconite". Now that is a word I've not heard in a long time. We used to go up to Minnesota a lot when I was a kid. I remember having a couple of steel balls that they used in the big tumblers to crush up the taconite ore.

If people would observe proper social distancing, then I think getting outside is probably a good thing, if just from a mental health standpoint. I've "moved" out to my deck from now until probably late October or early November (It's basically my outdoor living room). It's improved my mood substantially to be able to sit and look at the flowers and trees starting to bloom, other trees starting to leaf out, smelling the smell of freshly cut grass. All stuff I would be missing if I was still stuck in the regular living room.

Some people have decorative rock around their houses as part of the landscaping, I have river rock around mine but I know some guys that have taconite pellets around theirs. Heavy stuff.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That concerns me...

yep. they are the innumerable casualties that will never be recognized. clearly the only people who matter are ones that die from this illness. nothing else is considered

a lancet study estimated 250,000 extra cancer deaths due to 2008 economic crash. this is going to be much worse IMO

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom