• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Looking for a new cordless drill with options for other cordless tools (maybe).

Something quality WITHOUT breaking the bank. Just heard a Ryobi comercial w/ lithium ion battery and 30 min charge? Nice...

I love Dewalt, but refuse to pay their prices.

Any GOOD options on some decent cordless tool brands??

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I remember when I was in your position, I bought a Ryobi and six months later forked out the money for a Dewalt. Have had that for 8 years or so now.

I guess the question is how much do you plan on using it. If you dont use it much any brand is kinda ok. If you use it regularly I would spend the extra money on a DeWalt or a Milwaukee.

This might help, looks like the "Best Value" is the Porter Cable
    12-Volt Cordless Drills: We Test 13 of the Best - Popular Mechanics

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I remember when I was in your position, I bought a Ryobi and six months later forked out the money for a Dewalt. Have had that for 8 years or so now.

I guess the question is how much do you plan on using it. If you dont use it much any brand is kinda ok. If you use it regularly I would spend the extra money on a DeWalt or a Milwaukee.

This might help, looks like the "Best Value" is the Porter Cable
    12-Volt Cordless Drills: We Test 13 of the Best - Popular Mechanics

Or for the Big Boys
    Cordless Drill Reviews - Best Cordless Drill - Popular Mechanics

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    The Ryobi stuff is good for moderate use. I have the drill, sawzall, circular saw, grinder, air pump, and weed wacker. All work well.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ryobi is fine if you are just using it from time to time.

However, I have an 18v (NiCad) Milwaukee drill and 18v Sawzall that I got many years ago- used and abused and never let me down.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    I have the Rockwell 3Rill and absolutely love it. There are many other tools that use the same lithium battery/charger base. It can be had for around 60$ on ebay. I bought mine last year for 90$ on sale and I think that's what they go for normally now.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Are the li-Ion worth the extra $$? Looking to "start" my garage collection. Have some older stuff but wanna start over with one brand and new.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'm a Dewalt fan myself.
    Hitachi makes some pretty good stuff as well.

I asked this question 6-12 months ago, if you look for the thread, there are/were some good links to sites that sold stuff at a discount. With Black Friday around the corner, if you can, I'd wait until then.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Hitachi all the way, decent prices and I've yet to have a tool fail yet.

Used to race karts and beat the crap out of their impact driver, still kicking today.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've always used DeWalt. They take a beating for sure.
    Problem is the batteries cost so much. My 12v lasted 5 years... when they crapped out it was cheaper to buy a new drill with 2 batteries. the 14v lasted only 3 years... I sucked it up and bought a new battery, and now I am looking to get batteries or upgrade to 18v now.

I think the battery problem (cost) is across the board for most drills. Unless someone's got experience with others that aren't so pricey?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I have Ryobi Li-Ion stuff, works great for me (occasional use). I've got the drill, circular saw, and jigsaw. Hopefully getting the impact driver for Christmas.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I went Milwaukee, and never went back. Got in on a deal, trade a Dewalt batt in for $100 off of a $325 set.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I use the Ryobi drill and sawzall at work and both work well and seem to be holding up. I work outside, both get full of dirt and I haven't had an issue yet.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    What will it be used for? If you're going to be driving a lot of screws, a drill/driver is the hot tip. We just completely redecked our 40x40 deck. That was a lot of deck screws and my son's drill/driver was much quicker and easier to use than my cordless drill.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I have used all of the brands listed in this thread so far except for the Rockwell and by far Milwaukee is the superior tool IMHO. I was a DeWalt fan for years until they changed the internals on their drills. I had no problem with older Dewalt drills lasting 3-4 years of everyday hard use, after they changed how they were made I was lucky to get one to last 1 year. I switched to Milwaukee and I haven't regretted that decision in the slightest. Batteries last longer, more powerful drill, and about every power tool you can think of available in a cordless version. I know Home Depot was running a special buy the drill and impact with 2 batteries and charger for $199 and get another battery or sawzall free.

Top Bottom