• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I stole this from a local car forum and wanted to get your thoughts about it, especially from the cops.

NOT MY STORY (sorry for the confusion)

Pulled over and ticketed. On my driveway.

Saturday, August 30:

So I have a large driveway, probably 150ft long from the road and it goes all the way around my house. It's a business-style parking lot driveway, but the business moved out over 5 years ago and it's just a house.

I broke my tires loose in my driveway. Hadn't left my driveway since the day before, and I was on my private property the entire time. I didnt even get within 75 feet of a public roadway.

Cop flies in through my yard onto my driveway and yells "STOP!". Mind you, I am already stopped and in neutral. On my private driveway. I said "This is private property; what are you doing?" and the cop says "I don't care!"

Me: What are you stopping me for? This is my property. I didn't break any laws. I don't understand what you are stopping me for.

Cop: You don't understand? You wanna talk to my supervisor? Hey! He doesn't understand why I stopped him!

Cop2: You don't understand what?

Me: This is private property. I didn't break any laws. Why did you stop me?

Cop2: I don't care if this is private property. Do you have any common sense? There are people out here! (pointing 100 yards away to Madison Ave).

Me: I am on my private property. Those people aren't on my property. This is my driveway.

Cop2: License and registration, chicken f*cker. (ok the chicken f*cker part I put in)

I hand him the license and registration and call my brother who is in the house. "Get the camera out here and take pictures of these cops. They're going to try to ticket me."

10 minutes later the cop comes back up, meanwhile his car is still parked in my yard and I haven't left my driveway for over 12 hours. He hands me a ticket for "unsafe start." On my driveway. On private property. 75 feet from a public roadway.

Since when do traffic cops have jurisdiction on private lots? Better watch out at ORP. They're going to start handing out speeding tickets on the track. Yeah, there's no speed limit but apparently the fact that traffic laws don't apply doesn't matter.

Unsafe start on my driveway. Yeah, I'm hiring lawyer.

Last edited:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I'd say that cop has a problem, by your description of the event.
    He was wrong for entering your property (tresspass?) And if he went through grass while doing so - look for damage. (add to list)
    Giving you a ticket on private property (yours, not someone else's)
    Exceeding his authority? Intimidation?
    ATTITUDE (something ticked him off BEFORE he got to you?)

If everything is just as you wrote here, you have a good court case!
    Good luck!

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'd say that cop has a problem, by your description of the event.
    He was wrong for entering your property (tresspass?) And if he went through grass while doing so - look for damage. (add to list)
    Giving you a ticket on private property (yours, not someone else's)
    Exceeding his authority? Intimidation?
    ATTITUDE (something ticked him off BEFORE he got to you?)

If everything is just as you wrote here, you have a good court case!
    Good luck!

Its not mine, it was taken from somebody in indy though on a local car forum.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    not 100% sure but i would imagine private property or not if you are in eyesight you are gonna get hit. sounds like he(the cop) got a bit excited, but the second you question one you have basically asked"officer will you find a reason to cite me?"
    and if it was me and he called someone to get a camera, he would have instantly pi$$ed me off

sounds like some whiny a$$ teenager who is mad about his ticket to me. unless the cop is a grade A bonehead, getting a lawyer is gonna be a waste of his money.

just my .02

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    not 100% sure but i would imagine private property or not if you are in eyesight you are gonna get hit. sounds like he(the cop) got a bit excited, but the second you question one you have basically asked"officer will you find a reason to cite me?"
    and if it was me and he called someone to get a camera, he would have instantly pi$ me off

sounds like some whiny a$$ teenager who is mad about his ticket to me. unless the cop is a grade A bonehead, getting a lawyer is gonna be a waste of his money.

just my .02

but how can you cite someone for not breaking the law? his driveway doesnt have the same laws as public roads. If he could get a ticket for that on his driveway, they should be pulling over the indycars for 200mph+ at IMS, which is private property.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    just like you can be drunk in your front yard and still get a P.I. it all boils down to the officer's preception. private property is'nt all encompasing

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    just like you can be drunk in your front yard and still get a P.I. it all boils down to the officer's preception. private property is'nt all encompasing

which is a huge problem in this country. ok, then why can i ride an atv on my property, but not on the road? It has to follow the rules of the road too then, and it isnt street legal. Or would that mean i just cant ride it on my driveway...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's been a while since I was in the game, but if it's your property, you cal (mostly) do what you like. They can't ticket you for moving violations, or SOME other motor vehicle violations unless you are on a public roadway. Just like they can't write parking tickets or many other tickets in mall parking lots, they are private property.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    if you are at a race or controlled environment that is why you are there is for speed. based off what i read, yeah it sounds a bit excessive but the gravel thrown or tires chirping is enough.he may have been on his property, but if there is a chance no matter how s,mall that car could spin out ot flip or roll and endanger someone private property does'nt mean squat. it's like if i was shooting a gun in the city at a steel plate, it is on private property, but there is a possibility for something to go wrong.

keep in mind this is all second hand and i may be waaaay off but that is the way i would see it

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    if you are at a race or controlled environment that is why you are there is for speed. based off what i read, yeah it sounds a bit excessive but the gravel thrown or tires chirping is enough.he may have been on his property, but if there is a chance no matter how s,mall that car could spin out ot flip or roll and endanger someone private property does'nt mean squat. it's like if i was shooting a gun in the city at a steel plate, it is on private property, but there is a possibility for something to go wrong.

keep in mind this is all second hand and i may be waaaay off but that is the way i would see it

ok, off his description, his driveway used to be a parking lot. He lives in a used to be business. House turned into business, then back into house. So the driveway is big and not near the road.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Disagree. I need neither license nor registration to drive any car (that I own) I want so long as I am on my own property. I can do so at any speed I choose, stop as quickly as I choose, and so long as I'm not on a public roadway or otherwise affecting other people, there should be no citation. Public intox theoretically should follow the same guide, truth be told. Sounds to me like 1) The OP on the car forum needs to stop posting his details of his case in public
    2) He needs to hire that attorney and listen to him.
    3) The case, if it isn't thrown out by a judge, sounds to be ripe for jury nullification.

My :twocents:.

Blessings,
    B

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    which is a huge problem in this country. ok, then why can i ride an atv on my property, but not on the road? It has to follow the rules of the road too then, and it isnt street legal. Or would that mean i just cant ride it on my driveway...

not gonna go into all details, but obvious legalities...needs to be plated,turn signals ect. to be street legal. but if you started doing donuts in the driveway with bystandards, or slinging gravel you run the risk of harming yourself or someone. that's where they step in and try to stop someone from doing something stupid

like i said since this is a copy of a story we are probably missing a few details that he chooses to leave out. not being a cop i don't know for sure, i am just giving my observation on how i would see it

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    Disagree. I need neither license nor registration to drive any car (that I own) I want so long as I am on my own property. I can do so at any speed I choose, stop as quickly as I choose, and so long as I'm not on a public roadway or otherwise affecting other people, there should be no citation. Public intox theoretically should follow the same guide, truth be told. Sounds to me like 1) The OP on the car forum needs to stop posting his details of his case in public
    2) He needs to hire that attorney and listen to him.
    3) The case, if it isn't thrown out by a judge, sounds to be ripe for jury nullification.

My :twocents:.

Blessings,
    B

ok, there it is. this is his area of expertise, thanks bill :yesway:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Don't know, wasn't there but think about how much of the truth people leave out in order to make themselves look good or to get pity.
    A word or two changed or left out can make a big difference in the truth of what happen.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    Don't know about my area of expertise, but I know there isn't a requirement to be licensed on your own property. Thanks, though.

Blessings,
    B
    as far as licensing goes i meant to ride an atv on a public road it has to be plated.

in the amount we drug that story from context with hypothetical scenarios, riding an atv on public roads got thrown in there

Top Bottom