• Poll closed .

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok INGO, help me out here.

We are in the process of replacing some of our cookware. Now, My fiance hosted a Pampered Chef party not to long ago and with all the orders she got qualified her for some pretty hefty discounts for pampered chef stuff. Now I think the stuff is over hyped and WAY overpriced myself but her discounts actually bring them into what I consider the reasonable price range. The do have a lifetime warranty but I'm not sold on them as being worth the money.

Thursday was my 28th birthday and my brother knowing that we were going to replace some of our cookware, gave me a 12" Lodge cast iron skillet. He knows I want to make the switch to cast iron. I know that cast iron will last a lifetime with proper care and we can pass it on to our grand kids, are nonstick with proper seasoning and maintaining of the seasoning. But she is concerned about the weight of them. I do 90% of the cooking anyway. So her concerns are unfounded I think.

So I'm dead set on cast iron and have been wanting to make the switch for a while now. She wants the more modern ligher weight Pampered Chef stuff.

Which would you choose and why?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Exactly a Dutch oven and a grill pan set are what we are looking at. The pampered chef dutch oven set is stoneware and 80 bucks with her discounts, the pampered chef grill pan set will be 108 bucks with her discounts I can get lodge stuff for about 20 bucks less retail but shipping makes it a wash.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I had gotten a nice cast iron set last year for around $60 from Rural King. It had a dutch oven a 12 in pan I think an 8 in pan and a griddle. Or you could do the smart thing and make her happy but what guy does that. Really though if possible just go for the pampered chef set and buy a cast iron pan or two here and there.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There's no logical reason you can't do both. Non cast iron has it's place in the kitchen. Get a couple of Lodge pieces that suit you and let her fill the rest out with the PC stuff.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    There's no logical reason you can't do both. Non cast iron has it's place in the kitchen. Get a couple of Lodge pieces that suit you and let her fill the rest out with the PC stuff.

Thats the real answer

And what will probably end up happening. But I just wanted to get some outside opinions on it since I know we have a lot of INGO guys and gals who like to cook. I've honestly never used Pampered Chef cookware so I really have no opinion on it other than the price is ridiculously high for seemingly no reason. I'll probably end up getting the grill pan set from Lodge and she will get the stoneware Dutch oven set from Pampered chef.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Also its not like that is the only thing she's getting. Like I said she qualified for some awesome savings from the party. So she is getting some other kitchen tools as well. That I'll be able to play with too ;). It's just the Dutch oven and grill pan we were stuck on.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    My two cast iron frying pans belonged to my grandmother. I will never be without them. I believe that a modern kitchen needs a few good non-stick pans as well. As for a dutch oven, Lodge makes a nice enameled version for a reasonable price. I have two and find little difference between them and the LeCrucet version of the same thing.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i had a Pampered Chef party once. There's cookware i like better, but their skillets, etc., are still pretty good quality. If you get the non-stick, make sure to not use cooking spray on it, i have learned that the hard way with other non-stick skillets. I got one of the stoneware baking sheets from PC, didn't care for it, but others love it. The mandolin slicer works good and lots of people like the can opener, we have had it for years. Wine bottle opener sucked, though.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The dutch oven is pretty much a wash on stoneware vs iron. The iron won't break though unless you really abuse it but the stoneware is more forgiving of acidic compounds. I personally go cast iron. Also if acidic dishes are a concern, get the enameled lodge.

Grill pan I say go cast iron. You want something capable of storing up a large amount of heat in it so you can get a maillard brown instead of a greasy grey. What are the PC grill pans made out of?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We have had several sets of cheap-o pans. I prefer cast iron...and have a few pieces including a dutch oven

Pampered Chef stuff is pricey, but is very well made. VERY well made. All the stuff my wife has is awesome. The Red Dutch oven that is set up to use in the microwave is awesome. Try some of the Mongolian Beef Stew. That's a recipe my wife makes in the winter months. Awesome, and all done in the microwave in that Dutch Oven.(I assume we're talking about the same one. She said it was 80 bucks with the discounts a few years ago).

The cermic cookie sheets has from them are awesome as well.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a LOT of Pampered Chef items. I have hosted several good parties and qualified for about $1200 worth of free stuff at one of them. I pretty much got everything I wanted and spent just a few hundred out of pocket. My husband gave me a budget to get new pots and pans so that money he gave me paid for everything I wanted....the nonstick pots and pans, a bunch of stoneware, the knife block full of knives and so much more.

That being said, I was not pleased when my new pots/pans (about $500 if I had paid it all out of pocket) arrived, and they were made in Taiwan. I bought all of Pampered Chef's utensils that were approved for their nonstick cookware, and the pans all have scratches anyway. I am the only one in the house that uses those so I know they have never had metal utensils used in them. I also had bought the big roasting pan. It has been replaced once due to the nonstick stuff peeling in spite of being told that would never happen with their product. I had to pay shipping both ways to replace it, and it is somewhat heavy. My pots and pans all need replaced, but I have never been able to get the consultant who sold it to me (and still sells their product) to take care of this for me. I have all of my receipts so I may attempt to contact her again as I have recently started getting emails from her about her current specials, etc.

In the past couple of years, I have purchased several pieces of Lodge cast iron off of Amazon when they were on sale. I got a nice dutch oven and a large skillet and later bought a set that had two skillets, a dutch oven and a griddle...the set was on sale ridiculously cheap (which they do every few months) and they do free shipping even on these heavy pans.

I do like my Pampered Chef stoneware bakers and casseroles. The main thing that would be different about these versus the cast iron is that the stoneware cannot be used on the stovetop...just in the oven or microwave. I like both but I use my cast iron way more than the stoneware. I'm not sure I have used my stoneware since I got the cast iron to be honest.

If she is getting it free or half price, let her get it if it will keep the peace.

I assume you do not have a glass top stove as cast iron is not recommended for use on those.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom