Convincing the fiance to learn and like guns??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codyt87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Putnam County
    When I started dating my fiance she came from a family of no firearms and had always been told they are bad. For the first 6 months she wasnt to comfortable around my guns and wouldnt even touch one. After dating for about 9 months I bought a gun safe, instead of keeping them all in my closet, in exchange for her learning to properly handle the guns. Fast forward to about 15 months into us dating and she finally decided to learn to shoot after multiple houses were broken into around us. She is now a great shot! :rockwoot:

Anybody else have a success story at "converting" a girlfriend or family member?

dobeluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    I don't really know its "converting", but my wife did not like guns because she was scared of them. So I took paid for her to take a gun safety class. Then I took her to the range so she could shoot. Three trips to the range later, she asked, "when can I get my own gun?". Now she likes to shoot and requests to go to the range.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well my fiance was totally terrified at first that I owned and carried a gun. It took her a few months to not be scared by my gun. I offered to take her to the range many times to let her shoot and she declined. Finnally got her to go to the range and she didnt like it. She hated semi-auto pistols because they shoot the brass cartridge out at you. And all I owned was semi-auto. So I just bought a 38sp revolver just for her to shoot at the range. We will be having a date at the range in the next couple weeks.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    My wife was traumatized by her dad regarding guns and wouldn't touch the one I had. Then, after a few "close call" events and the fact that some of her girlfriends are diehard gun people she decided to sign us up for an NRA basic pistol class. She actually broke down in tears when she first shot a gun but the next day asked if she could buy one for herself. She said she wanted to do so while it was still fresh in her mind.

Since then I've taken her to the range 2 times. The first time I figured she'd only shoot a couple of times and give up. After going through 50 rounds in no time flat she sadly said "is that it? No more ammo?" The next time I bought 100 rounds for her. She went through that even faster and said "Is that it? No more ammo?" I've learned that I'm going to have to get her the value pack.

Oh, and she is a damn good shot, too.

Noble

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    My fiancé isn't against guns but doesn't show much interest unfortunately, she also believes any black gun is ugly

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    "success?" if that's what you call having to buy guns for TWO people now! :):

^^^THIS^^^
    If i would have known how much time i would have to put in at the loading press to feed hers and my #2 sons addiction....:cool:

Wife was an anti for a long time...wont go into childhood trauma that brought that on....

...anywho...

Fast forward many years and much patience on my part (shes one of many of my success stories of converting antis) and she quite a decent shot with a rifle and coming along nicely on the pistols. We've even been shopping a carry gun for her...thats how i ended up with the PF-9...she just HAD to have it...until she shot it. Now shes thinks shes going to comandeer my 1911...she already laid claim to my newest deer rifle...the Ruger M-44 (Semi auto 44 mag...big brother of the 10-22)

Thats ok...that just means i have to buy another .44 mag. :):

Notice the grouping she laid down previously...2" high and left.
    http://youtu.be/4eO6VDGLbPI

Shes come a long way...but still has a ways to go...but dont we all.:)

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had dated a guy who knew nothing about firearms.... He asked me to take him to a gun shop and bought a handgun to try to impress me even though I tried to sway him away from that decision..

We ended and I know for a fact he still hasn't shot that gun and probably never will.. Too bad I didn't get him to sell it to me for a discount lol.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It takes a lot of patience to turn someone with a fear of guns into someone who can shoot and hit what they aim at. It's not as bad as teaching your wife to drive a stick shift.

SPUTTER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    BEDFORD
    I am still trying to get my wife to shoot more weapons, it will take time but the more we can go to the ranges I believe she will come around

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Yeah, sorry bud. You lost it at "Convincing the Fiance".

That just doesnt happen. They either do, or they dont.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am one of the lucky ones. My wife grew up outside of town and could shoot on her parents property. She got me back into guns more hard core than I have ever been. She shoots better than most guys and has even outshot me with a few of my own guns. I had to laugh when I brought her to a three gun comp. All these guys crowding around her showing her how to shoot. Ya right! She said get out of my way and she cleaned the range of any targets. Police 12ga, AR, then to the 1911 .45. I was proud and smiling the entire time. Bunch of guys with their mouths wide open.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    My story is pretty similar to the OP's. My fiance wasn't necessarily anti-gun, but she definitely was indifferent to them. Any anti sentiment she had was from her mom who didn't like them for whatever reason. I took her shooting a few times, just with a .22 at first and she had a good time. Eventually after being around my guns for enough time and me wanting her to have a gun she ended up getting her LTCH. After that we went and bought her first carry gun.

Her parents never had any firearms in the house, now her dad has my old j-frame. Her mom still won't shoot but she tolerates all my guns in her house when I come over.

She now has her 9mm and an AR which I built her...technically that is her wedding present so she won't be getting it until the wedding (she is holding a mossberg 500 hostage for me :):) but she has shot it and really likes it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As John Mellencamp (Ah the heck with it Johnny Cougar) once said.

"I married an LA woman
    brought her to this small town,
    Now she's small town,
    Just like me."

My wife was never around guns growing up (being from LA.)

She had a frightening incident before we met while rock climbing at the Red River Gorge where her and her friends lives were potentially saved by a Kentuckian, his 12 year old son, and a 1911 in the glove box of that beat up old car.

Her (and his) exact words to her (and hers to him) when he saw her running barefoot down a gravel road (she was putting her climbing shoes on when the incident took place) was this. They are forever burned in my memory.

Kentuckian.."Whoa, Whoa Missy, slow down...What's wrong."

Wife to be.."These seven guys have blocked our car and are beating one of my friends and threatened our lives. One put his knife near my throat"

Kentuckian.."Boy..Glove box. (12 year old grabs 1911 and racks one in the chamber before handing it to his father). My name is Mr. Goodparson..Get in and let's go help your friends..

As they pulled up to where the incident was taking place Mr. Goodparson fired two rounds (maybe three) in the air and skidded the car in a cloud of dust. Bad guys scattered like a covey of quail, jumped in their vehicles and left.

Local police show up and lecture my wife and her three friends about "folks from Louisville showing up down here with their fancy equipment and these poor kids got no jobs or future etc...And these things kind of happen."

Lesson learned by my wife...Always have a gun at all times...

codyt87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Putnam County
    We went shooting again this weekend, and it was actually her idea! She said she wanted to practice again and make sure she could remember everything. My sister in law even joined us. They both did pretty good and both want to shoot again after its warmer out.

Thumper1000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    My wife for years has said guns are stupid knowbody needs a gun, the downfall of man was guns, we should still be throwing rocks and spears etc. She was of the opinion that all you have to do is point a gun and you hit what you point at every time. I always told her it wasn't that easy. Well I finally got her to go shooting and she found that it wasn't that easy to hit a target exactly where you want with a handgun. She now looks at it as a challenge to better herself, she is not a competitive person but at the same time doesn't like to fall behind. She now has a new 1911 9mm that she loves, it has a small grip low recoil easy racking etc. and besides is a beautiful gun. She now enjoys shooting and trying to improve her skills. I guess what I am trying to get at is that she was anti gun because she thought it was a non issue to kill something by just pointing at it and shooting well after trying it she found a new respect for it and enjoys the challenge of learning to do it better. Also try getting her friends involved if they shoot or are interested in shooting, peer pressure works most times.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My fiance isn't a fan of guns but I am slowly getting her more comfortable around them. I don't carry my "carry gun" at all because she doesn't like being around them, and I am working on changing that. At first she didn't even want to talk about guns, let alone look at them or heaven forbid, touch them. But, after a while I have been able to clean them with her in the room and she is tossing around the idea of going to the range with me so I can teach her to shoot. I'm thinking about taking a .22 revolver for her to start then see how she likes it and move up to something bigger.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Your fiancé is the man you plan to marry, your fiancée is the woman you plan to marry.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mines.It's just confusing when you say "my fiance" and then refer to that person as "she".

Top Bottom