• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I'm not an expert on this NFA stuff, but this is the ONLY piece of advice I would trust on this thread.

Your best bet is to ask an ATF agent in writing and ask that they respond in writing. If you have their words on their letterhead, then you're pretty safe.
    Otherwise, I'd seek counsel from a knowledgeable attorney. When you're dealing with a 10-years-and-$10,000 penalty, you want to be 100% certain before you get started.

Just my :twocents:.

I understand i just want to see what the overall consensus is on here before i go ask a question that doesn't make any sense, there fore making myself look like an idiot.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I'm not an expert on this NFA stuff, but this is the ONLY piece of advice I would trust on this thread.

Your best bet is to ask an ATF agent in writing and ask that they respond in writing. If you have their words on their letterhead, then you're pretty safe.
    Otherwise, I'd seek counsel from a knowledgeable attorney. When you're dealing with a 10-years-and-$10,000 penalty, you want to be 100% certain before you get started.

Just my :twocents:.

how do i go about doing that?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Ok, that lie out of the way, back to the ATF and the "new second amendment".

My guess is that Beretta can do it because the barrel is 16 inches long as a carbine. After removing the stock, the barrel can be removed as a unit, and replaced with a "pistol length" barrel.

This does not apply when you weld on a can or other device to get an equivalent length of 16 inches as determined by the ATF and the new second amendment. Once you weld the device on to a barrel that is less than 16 inches to bring it up to 16 inches, it is considered permanent. Unless you remove the complete barrel and replace it with the "pistol length" barrel (of course removing the stock first) ATF considers you to be modifying a "permanent" 16 inch barrel. That is where the illegal comes in. Once the barrel is brought up to 16 inches via any device, it is now considered a "rifle barrel" and if you remove the device, it is now a "short barrel".

Clear as mud, but read carefully. The catch is making the barrel permanently 16 inches or more. That is how Beretta gets away with it. The barrel is never altered but replaced with a completely new barrel.

Again, it is the law so I am not advocating violating it. It is unfortunately that the Constitution of The United States of America has become nothing more than a bunch of old words written on old parchment and now ignored.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Per my only point of reference, the Beretta Neos Carbine without the carbine stock but with the pistol stock would be still a pistol, but with a really long barrel. With carbine barrel, but no stock it measures 20.5 inches. Does our wonderful constitution protector have a maximum barrel length for a pistol?

Doesn't make any sense, does it?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    This is not true. I have a Beretta Neos pistol with a Carbine conversion kit and as long as I install the carbine barrel before installing the stock, and in reverse, remove the stock first and then reinstall the pistol barrel, I am legal. Per the paperwork that came with the Carbine conversion kit and approved by ATF.

IT IS TRUE and YOU ARE INCORRECT!

You have a Beretta PISTOL, Not RIFLE.
    As your reciever is a PISTOL, you can convert "up" or "DOWN" as often as you like. This is the same scenario as a Thompson Encore single shot pistol.

If your "host" firearm started life as a "RIFLE" such as a Bushmaster M4A3 you could not legaly bring it down to say the level of a Bushmaster Type 97 pistol.

3 pages of opinion when you had the correct answer in the 1st post. You can take that to the bank or the ATF.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    correct.
    But you have to do it in that order becuase if you put the stock on 1st you have created an unregistered SBR. Since ou are not adding a minimum 16" complete barrel and a flash hider instead I also believe you are correct in that it has to be permanently attached as the ease of being able to unscrew it and have an unregistered SBR is against BATF regulations.

In addition a RIFLE can not be converted "down" to pistol format. Once a rifle always a rifle.

I'll quote myself so the correct answer is at the beginning and end of this thread.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If i converted it to a rifle and decided that i wanted to take the stock off and the suppressor and take it back to the original draco pistol then that would be against regulations.

No, it would be totaly legal as your firearm started life off as a pistol. Everyone's misunderstanding and total lack of knowledge of the law and own interpretations are what causes these misconceptions to be made.

My only question would be, how are you going to getthe flash hider you "permanently" attached off? Are you goind to grind off any spot welds used? Just some food for thought.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    LOL..... the more I read this thread the worse it gets. It's almost like every type of these questios should simply be answered with, " call your local ATF office for legal clarification and stay off the internet."

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    No, it would be totaly legal as your firearm started life off as a pistol. Everyone's misunderstanding and total lack of knowledge of the law and own interpretations are what causes these misconceptions to be made.

My only question would be, how are you going to getthe flash hider you "permanently" attached off? Are you goind to grind off any spot welds used? Just some food for thought.

This is exactly the way i understand it also.

I was going to put a small tac-weld on there to make it permanent just how the thread protector was on there when it comes new. About 2 minutes with a dremel and the weld was gone and it screwed right off. I'm not saying i would ever take it back to the original pistol i just wanted it to see if it would be an option IF i went through with this.

Also can you show me the part of the law that says it is ok?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    LOL..... the more I read this thread the worse it gets. It's almost like every type of these questios should simply be answered with, " call your local ATF office for legal clarification and stay off the internet."

I don't understand why it is bad advice to direct a person to an authoritative answer.
    The information you have given is correct; I've read a bunch of ATF documents for myself over several years, so I'm quite familiar with it. But that doesn't mean that I know you from from any other Tom, Dick, or Harry, so I'm not likely to trust you with matters that could put me in prison, and I won't recommend that others do it, either.

It's nothing against you; it's just the nature of a public forum that ill-informed people have the same voice as everyone else. It's not be best place to get your legal advice. :twocents:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Well what if you had a reg ar-15 SBR and you wanted to take the stock off to be a pistol? Would that be ok with AFT?

Check with ATF....

But I would say yes on a temporary basis. Meaning you have to be able to put it back into its original SBR configuration. I dont see this being any different than changing the upper's on the SBR as long as you can change it back. It's still an SBR and you still need the paperwork... just has a pistol stock for the moment... My :twocents:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    ok i've got this figured out.

i'm turning my draco into a rifle. the barrel is 12". i need 16" to make it a rifle. i'm getting a 2" barrel extension and putting a tac weld on it to make it permanent. i'm then putting my muzzle brake on that which is 2.8" and also tac welding that on. this will give me 16.8" to make this a rifle. I can then add an ace folding stock. No tax stamp, no waiting and it will only make my gun barrel 2" longer than it already is. I can deal with that. This is all perfectly legal. My project will start hopefully in a few weeks.

Also im pretty sure (99%) i can take the stock off, grind the tac welds off and return it to its original pistol form if i ever decide to. IF i ever decide i want to, i will make a call and find out 100% sure that it can be done with no questions asked.

Last edited:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I just realized that when i turn my draco into a rifle, i can also add a verticle grip without any problems correct?

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I read the other day that you can take a draco pistol and permanetly attach a fake compensator to make the barrel over 16" which then makes it a rifle. Then you can add a stock to it because its a rifle and you dont have to pay a 200 tax stamp because your not converting it to a sbr, just to a regular rifle. Anyone know if this is true?

YES
    You can make your Draco pistol into a rifle legaly by Pinning or Wellding barrel extension to legal 16+ inches
    No...
    you cannot turn it back into a pistol ever .!!

Once, or actually before, you have made your Draco pistol into a Rifle, 922 applys & you must have certain number of US parts in your otherwise unimportable rifle !
    I am not a lawyer this is not legal advice:patriot:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    :laugh:
    Your "misunderstanding" seems to be the farthest off !!!
    Once a rifle always a Rifle !!!!
    Just because it started life as a pistol doesnt mean you can legally change it back to a pistol after making it a rifle, :noway:

Uhhhhh Yaa,,,, how else do you get a spot weld off ???
    People do it all the time making SBRs !!
    thats what they make paint for !!

I am not a lawyer This is not legal advice:patriot:

Top Bottom