• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I read the other day that you can take a draco pistol and permanetly attach a fake compensator to make the barrel over 16" which then makes it a rifle. Then you can add a stock to it because its a rifle and you dont have to pay a 200 tax stamp because your not converting it to a sbr, just to a regular rifle. Anyone know if this is true?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    correct.
    But you have to do it in that order becuase if you put the stock on 1st you have created an unregistered SBR. Since ou are not adding a minimum 16" complete barrel and a flash hider instead I also believe you are correct in that it has to be permanently attached as the ease of being able to unscrew it and have an unregistered SBR is against BATF regulations.

In addition a RIFLE can not be converted "down" to pistol format. Once a rifle always a rifle.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    correct.
    But you have to do it in that order becuase if you put the stock on 1st you have created an unregistered SBR. Since ou are not adding a minimum 16" complete barrel and a flash hider instead I also believe you are correct in that it has to be permanently attached as the ease of being able to unscrew it and have an unregistered SBR is against BATF regulations.

In addition a RIFLE can not be converted "down" to pistol format. Once a rifle always a rifle.

ok cool, I did also read that once it was a rifle it has to stay a rifle. If i converted it to a rifle and decided that i wanted to take the stock off and the suppressor and take it back to the original draco pistol then that would be against regulations. I understand that this is the law but how would anyone ever know that it was turned back into pistol format? It would look just like an original draco again. I'm not saying i'm going to do this i was just wondering why they would have that part of the law in place. What would be the point of it?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    correct.

This is not true. I have a Beretta Neos pistol with a Carbine conversion kit and as long as I install the carbine barrel before installing the stock, and in reverse, remove the stock first and then reinstall the pistol barrel, I am legal. Per the paperwork that came with the Carbine conversion kit and approved by ATF.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    This is not true. I have a Beretta Neos pistol with a Carbine conversion kit and as long as I install the carbine barrel before installing the stock, and in reverse, remove the stock first and then reinstall the pistol barrel, I am legal. Per the paperwork that came with the Carbine conversion kit and approved by ATF.

So from what you are saying is that i could take off my muzzle brake, screw on a fake suppressor, which will make it a rifle, then attach a stock. And if i wanted to take it back to a pistol, i could remove the stock, and unscrew the fake suppressor and it would now be back in pistol formation. And there would be NO tax stamp or other fees, and i wouldn't have to register it at all?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    OP, I'm an NFA noob. I wouldn't put myself in any situtation where I'm working around the laws. At some point you are bound to be breaking the law, even if you aren't caught. My advice is to either buy an AK rifle or SBR the Draco.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I'm pretty sure that if it has a stock the barrel has to be permanently at least 16 inches or it's an SBR.

Would a small little tac weld work? Like what is on the thread protector nut when you buy a draco new?

I'm not wanting to break any laws, just want to know what limit i can take it to without it becoming a sbr

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    OP, I'm an NFA noob. I wouldn't put myself in any situtation where I'm working around the laws. At some point you are bound to be breaking the law, even if you aren't caught. My advice is to either buy an AK rifle or SBR the Draco.

I'm not trying to work AROUND the law, Im trying to work WITHIN the law. If it's legal why not do it?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    jd4320t, you are probably correct. The fact that I have two different barrel, one 6 inches and one 16 inches is probably why Beretta can get away with the conversion. It probably would not fly with a Draco since it isn't a barrel being changed.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    jd4320t, you are probably correct. The fact that I have two different barrel, one 6 inches and one 16 inches is probably why Beretta can get away with the conversion. It probably would not fly with a Draco since it isn't a barrel being changed.

I don't know anymore. I thought I was learning until I read your post. What you say can legally be done with your pistol doesn't go along with the NFA knowledge I thought I had.:laugh:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    The way i understood it is it had to stay a rifle and i could not convert it back. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a loop-hole here

i just want to be 100% sure

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The way i understood it is it had to stay a rifle and i could not convert it back. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a loop-hole here

i just want to be 100% sure

If this is true and you want a rifle I would sell the Draco and get a rifle instead of messing with adding a stock and welding onto the barrel.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I read the other day that you can take a draco pistol and permanetly attach a fake compensator to make the barrel over 16" which then makes it a rifle. Then you can add a stock to it because its a rifle and you dont have to pay a 200 tax stamp because your not converting it to a sbr, just to a regular rifle. Anyone know if this is true?

I'm pretty sure you're incorrect about adding the compensator making it a rifle. Adding a stock is typically what makes it a rifle, not the barrel length. This is why pistol-grip (no stock) shotguns are transferred as pistols.

However, adding the stock before adding the longer barrel will make it an unregistered SBR.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Seems like everyones got a different opinion. As i understand the law it can be converted to a rifle by permanetly attaching a fake suppressor to make the barrel 16" then you can add a stock without a tax stamp because its now a rifle. I also believe you cannot convert it back.

What i want to make sure of is if it would have to STAY a rifle or could i simply take the stock off and then the fake suppressor off and use it as an original draco pistol whenever i want. This is the part i want to make sure about.If i can convert it back then it would make buying a tax stamp pretty pointless.

If i cannot convert it back i could sbr it or i could just add 5" to the barrel which would make it a rifle then i could add a stock without paying 200 for a tax stamp.

An extra 5" on the barrel to me would be worth the extra length so that i wouldn't have to pay 200 to sbr it and 3-4 months wait to get this done.

make sense?

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If you start asking yourself why nonsensical laws exists, you'll never sleep at night again.

I'm not an expert on this NFA stuff, but this is the ONLY piece of advice I would trust on this thread.

Your best bet is to ask an ATF agent in writing and ask that they respond in writing. If you have their words on their letterhead, then you're pretty safe.
    Otherwise, I'd seek counsel from a knowledgeable attorney. When you're dealing with a 10-years-and-$10,000 penalty, you want to be 100% certain before you get started.

Just my :twocents:.

Top Bottom