• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    How hard would it be or what would it cost me to do this? I want to keep my gun, my barrel everything really. I just want to put a mid-length gas system on my rifle.

I assume some gunsmiths would be able to weld the old hole shut and drill out a new one? Then id just have to buy the gas tube and handguard right?

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If you want a true midlength gas system, you will need to replace the barrel. I would not trust a barrel with a welded or plugged gas port.

If you would be satisfied with the look, you could replace the gas block with a low profile uint that would fit under a midlength forearm and relocate your existing front sight/gas block to the position of a midlength version.

Hope this helps.

Vernon

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    A new barrel would probably be cheaper after selling your current barrel. I wouldn't trust a plugged barrel. If it were me, I'd keep the carbine barrel. You wont be gaining enough to warrant the headache of the change.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    If you want a true midlength gas system, you will need to replace the barrel. I would not trust a barrel with a welded or plugged gas port.

If you would be satisfied with the look, you could replace the gas block with a low profile uint that would fit under a midlength forearm and relocate your existing front sight/gas block to the position of a midlength version.

Hope this helps.

Vernon

I do like the looks better but im currently wanting the mid length gas system to help reduce recoil. Looks arent the main reason though

A new barrel would probably be cheaper after selling your current barrel. I wouldn't trust a plugged barrel. If it were me, I'd keep the carbine barrel. You wont be gaining enough to warrant the headache of the change.

How do you think the carbine barrel compares to the mid length when it comes to recoil. I am currently waiting on my buffer, spring, and comp as we speak to reduce recoil as well and I was thinking a mid length would help even more

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ive seen those and heard good things. But I ordered the Spikes Dynacomp. Currently talking with Escrice to do a comparison review compared to the BattleComp. Should be interesting. I like the price of the XTC better though lol

:yesway:

That one will work well too

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    How do you think the carbine barrel compares to the mid length when it comes to recoil. I am currently waiting on my buffer, spring, and comp as we speak to reduce recoil as well and I was thinking a mid length would help even more

There is not a noticeable difference in recoil in Carbine vs. Mid-Length. I bought a mid-length after reading all the "hype" and didn't notice a difference versus the Carbine. I promptly got rid of the Mid-Length. Like stated above, changing the flash-hider/muzzle-brake will cut down on the recoil.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I do like the looks better but im currently wanting the mid length gas system to help reduce recoil. Looks arent the main reason though

It has already been said, but you arent going to notice a difference in recoil. There may be a percieved difference because you have read about it on the internet or talked about it with your buddies. If there was a real difference, there would be scientific data on it to prove it.

No doubt in my mind does it change the recoil impulse as far as dwell time and time from shot to the bolt unlocking, but FELT recoil reduction is going to be nonexistant.

A good carbine setup will work for 99% of the average AR shooter. The 1% that it doesnt work for had to ***** about something and picked the carbine gas system.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    There is not a noticeable difference in recoil in Carbine vs. Mid-Length. I bought a mid-length after reading all the "hype" and didn't notice a difference versus the Carbine. I promptly got rid of the Mid-Length. Like stated above, changing the flash-hider/muzzle-brake will cut down on the recoil.

It has already been said, but you arent going to notice a difference in recoil. There may be a percieved difference because you have read about it on the internet or talked about it with your buddies. If there was a real difference, there would be scientific data on it to prove it.

No doubt in my mind does it change the recoil impulse as far as dwell time and time from shot to the bolt unlocking, but FELT recoil reduction is going to be nonexistant.

A good carbine setup will work for 99% of the average AR shooter. The 1% that it doesnt work for had to ***** about something and picked the carbine gas system.

Thanks alot guys!! Saved me some time and hassle. Now i just have to play the waiting game for my **** to get here

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Just a quick question. What do you suppose the underside of that weld would look like? The side of it facing the bore. It couldn't be proud of the rifling at all, it would have to be kept shy of it. How would the gunsmith do this, or grind it back shy without ruining the rifling?
    What effect would this have on bullet stability/accuracy?:dunno:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Just a quick question. What do you suppose the underside of that weld would look like? The side of it facing the bore. It couldn't be proud of the rifling at all, it would have to be kept shy of it. How would the gunsmith do this, or grind it back shy without ruining the rifling?

I have no idea.... I would assume they have tools for that but im not sure. Maybe one will chime in

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I think doing this would be a terrible idea. If I were going to do it, might be easier to tap the hole and plug it. Still, terrible idea.

A heavier buffer will make your carbine gas system feel smoother.

+1, I like to run the Spikes T2 and 9mm RRA buffers.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I agree with tradertator on this. Theres no way its worth the pain the a** to try to turn a carbin length rifle into a mid length. Way too much to mess with. There are potential problems with the rifling and gas system plus the cost and time to do all of this. An extra unused gas port seems like a huge red flag to me as far as accuracy. It'd be like having a big rusted pitting spot inside your barrel. Then again I suppose alot of barrels are ported and they shoot fine. Usually FACTORY ported which is probably why they work fine.
    I cant imagine it'd be worth the cost to pay a gunsmith to try and make this work. I think you're just stuck with the carbine length gun, unless you sell it to fund the purchase of a new mid length. Which you dont want to do. New buffer as suggested would help it feel lighter recoiling.

Maybe you could shoot a higher caliber gun to appreciate the soft shooting 5.56 more? ;)

Top Bottom