• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I thought about the door lock issue as well. My thought was to put some sort of electronic lock keypad in another part of the room (or even the house) and include a delay to give time to reach the door to open it. Then I could keep the door handle that's already on it and it would just look like a closet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree with 4sarge and Quiggly, I think stealth is nearly as important as security. If the closet can be made invisible or covered up, all the better. A standard door, covering a security door would be a compromise, but it's still a door to be checked by the thief.

Another question to add a fly to the ointment;
    Do you think it's the best idea to keep all your firearms in one place?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you're going to resheath the inside of that one wall anyway, I'd double the 2x4 studs while I was in there and sheath with 14 ga sheet steel (or expanded steel whichever was cheaper), 2 layers of 1/2 plywood, and a finish layer of drywall to make it look nice.

Such a cover has been tested to withstand tornado missle strikes when on the OUTSIDE of the wall. If you use enough screws I would think it would work well enough to slow down humans. I'd also go with a steel exterior grade door (made to look like wood), possibly hidden with a mirror or something. In addition to the knob lock, I'd put a couple of deadbolts on the door - 1 high and 1 low.

Top Bottom