• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    The problem isn't with this kid, he has a bad attitude and that won't change. He will fail in life no matter what he does as long as that is his attitude. The problem lies with the system in gun sales. Wal-mart or the ATF has made it so complicated on the back side that people actually loose their jobs because of the liability in making a mistake. I know a few folks that have FFLs and sell firearms without any issues at all, of course they don't have a boss that looks over their shoulder all the time either. This won't effect me at all, most of my guns come from INGO :D

That's not necessarily a bad attitude. While I personally attempt to get intimately familiar with whatever my job is, I can understand the hesitation when it means your job and only means of income... especially as a young college male.

When I worked at Geek Squad there was a similar policy for data recovery. If you messed up in the data recovery for customers (i.e. giving the customer someone else's data or something that would violate a customer's data privacy) then you were fired on the spot. The second they instituted it no one wanted to work on data recovery, including myself. Why? Because a no-tolerance policy is just as bad on both ends of the scale. We get pissed about a zero-tolerance policy for firearms and other weapons on school grounds. There's a thread on here currently about spent shell casings causing some kid to get suspended from school for the rest of his year over it.

But it's the same the other way around. I'm making next to nothing, living from paycheck to paycheck and am suddenly told that if I screw up some procedure I'd get canned, oh, and I don't get a raise for it? No thanks. I avoided the data recovery station as much as I could. Not because I had a bad attitude, but because I'm the low man on the totem pole and I can't risk losing my job just to save a corporation some face if something happens.

Should I mess up? No. But am I human? Yes. Do I make mistakes? Yes. If I work with something more often am I more likely to make a mistake with it? Yes. So why would I want to do the more risky parts of a job when I can do the less risky parts for the same pay and still be accomplishing my job?

Fortunately, I never made a mistake with data recovery whenever I did it because I do triple check everything I do when it could cost me my job. Of course, I still got fired from Best Buy, but that's something else entirely.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold it against a guy just trying to get by and not wanting to get screwed by a company when they give inadequate training and expect him to not mess something up ever lestwise they have to can him to save face.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Did they have anything worth buying? Or just the usual crap they used to sell in .22 or single shot 12 gauge NEF?

I can't blame the guy really, but I definitely think its wrong. I think the solution lies in proper training in their sporting goods department so they don't need to worry about getting fired for effing up paperwork.

Then again...It's Walmart.

They have a pretty good "custom" order catalog that has pretty good prices. Luckily, the Wal-Mart here has 3 guys that really know their stuff and another guy that is willing to figure out what he doesn't know.

exelh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Nashville
    Why would you buy a gun at a walmart anyway? Support your locally owned shops, I bet even the remingtons at walmart are really made in china.

Top Bottom