• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    How I have always answered this question for myself has been simple. If it is a pleasure gun such as something I wont carry or hunt with but simply take to the range then its a new caliber. If its a gun I will use and have out a lot for carry or hunting, then I will consolidate. I hunt with 44 mag for deer and carry 45 ACP. Those two I have a nice 2000 to 3000 round stock. The range guns include 223/556, 7.62 by 54, 30-30, 30-06, 7mm 08, 357, 327, 9mm, 40 and 500 s&w. Those I keep about 400-500 rounds of stock for, except 223 and 22lr and those I keep the most of, at about 4000 rounds each. Warning, It is incredibly hard to keep them all in stock, but it also gives me something to do and it makes me happy. Nothing better than waking up on a day off and seeing how many booms you can create in a day. Remember your budget though. Build one cal. at a time and then move on.

acase20

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Jay County
    i want lots of it all :) but i currently have three .40s, a .45, and a 10mm....and i plan to get a few 9mm and i want to stock up on all of it...it will just take a little time

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I'd consolidate. I did that with my rifles. Just didn't want to have multiple calibers laying around.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    For the most part, I have decided to consolidate too. I've started to limit my collection to 9mm, but I do keep one pistol in .40 for this reason; ammo availability. During the "ammo shortage" in the recent past, the nearest ammo supplier was out of stock on 9mm for months at a time, or someone was snatching it all up as it came in. It got frustating to me as this store was on my route to the shooting range, and I'd have to travel further and pay a LOT more to get 9mm at the next nearest gun shop. BUT there was always .40 on the shelf at my nearby store and it was only about $2 more per box than 9mm. I actually traded a 9mm pistol (even swap) for the same model in .40 just so I'd could be sure to have something to shoot at the range. If I had not witnessed the ammo shortage, I'd have been happy to have all one caliber. Now I think it is wisest to keep at least one pistol in a second caliber just in case there is another episode. Even though I have since started reloading too, the same thing was happening on components (remember the primer back-orders?) so it is nice to know that I'll still have an alternative ammo choice for range and SD.
    ---
    GB!

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I say always expand either calibers or at the waist line. :) One can never have enough different calibers just like a woman can never have enough pairs of shoes.

Hoosier Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I used to think I needed to have a stockpile of rounds on hand for each caliber gun I own. That has become way too expensive these days (for me at least). Now I just keep a decent supply of .22lr, 9mm, 7.62 x 39, and 12 gauge for my carry/home defense/shtf guns. For other calibers, I usually just have a small supply for range use.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    22 lr, 9 mm and 40 S&W / 10 mm here. The 9mm I can get just about any where cheap. I reload for the 10 mm and .40 with the same dies so that makes it easy. 9mm works for my deep conceal weapon. .40 works for my full size carry weapon. The 10 mm is for woods, hiking or hunting side arm. I like the .40 for the cheap components that I can find. I have a Glock 20 with a .40 and a 10 mm barrel so it just works fo me. I actually do have a .380 but it is due to be replaced with one of the pocket 9 mm guns that are showing up like crazy this year.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    I was thinking about consolidating last summer but decided to keep the huge spread I have now. You don't have to stock ammo for both, but the ammo storage showed that it's good to have a lot of options available. I have a carry gun in 380, 9, 40, 45. During the shortage I was only able to get a constant supply of 40 S&W. If I would have just had 45 acp and not stocked up it would have been hard to find training ammo.

Since you reload you won't have the huge savings of 9mm vs 45 acp factory cost. There is less lead used so even when you are making your own bullets it's still cheaper.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    I say stick with what you have and buy a lot of it, if shtf and have to bug out, you don't wanna spend time trying to grab different types of ammo, what if zombies are at your door and you grab your 9mm 1911and on your way out back door you grab a bag and blindly put ammo in it. Maybe you grabbed 9mm maybe you grabbed .45??

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I'm working towards a goal of caliber consolidation for my carry, home defense, plinking and SHTF guns. (working guns) My plan is:

.22 LR
    9mm
    .38/.357 magnum
    12 gauge

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom