• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    just get a 3rd magazine for something you already own and go have fun. A long stage is 36 rd's so if you've got 45 on tap your good. Might not get to reload at the ideal spot but if your gonna like USPSA you'll have fun. I shoot 9mm in Limited scores crappy but doesn't affect my fun level at all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I too am looking to start either USPSA or IDPA (Ive heard IDPA is easier on the new competitor). I have everything for my 1911 to compete except enough mag carriers. What are the odds of finding somebody at one of the matches to borrow mag carriers for a round or two?

Here is why: While I just happened to buy my 1911 used with lots of mags, I only have 1 extra for my other guns, so not enough to compete. If I liked it, odds are I would buy a G17 so I dont go broke on ammo shooting my 40/45 but then I would need double stack carriers, not single. Hence my dilemma; I dont want to waste the $$ for lots of single stack carriers if Im not going to stick with my 1911 in the long run.

Hell, I wouldnt be against being ineligible for scoring if I was allowed to improvise and use what worked even if it was against the rules (pocket carry the mags, etc). You know, "as long as you are safe you are welcome to shoot, but your score wont be entered no matter how well you do." Or are they range nazis that wont even let you "play the game" unless you follow ALL the rules, even if wasnt a safety concern?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I too am looking to start either USPSA or IDPA (Ive heard IDPA is easier on the new competitor). I have everything for my 1911 to compete except enough mag carriers. What are the odds of finding somebody at one of the matches to borrow mag carriers for a round or two?

In some regards, idpa is easier if you are brand new. key differences are 1) shorter courses of fire so there is less to remember and 2) the course description will either tell you how to shoot the stage or there are limited options in how to shoot the stage so you can just "follow the leader." On the flip side, it's easier to get penalized in idpa where in uspsa, if you keep your feet inside the fault lines, it's not too likely to get a non-shooting penalty. Some gun mods may make your gun not legal for idpa, but there is always a division you can compete in in uspsa.

I'd suggest just using your back pockets for your first couple of matches if you don't have the gear. ask around, check out other folks' rigs, then buy. It's possible you could get loaner gear from someone at the match, but you[ll have better luck if you make arrangements ahead of time (eg ask here or contact the match director).

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    IDPA is easier for a newbie only in sense that you need very minimal gear. A strong side type holster, 2 mag pouches, some kind of cover garment and you're on your way. Understanding the somewhat byzantine, nonsensical rules is another matter. Half the SO's don't even properly understand them.

USPSA has bigger stages with higher round counts, up to 32 a stage. So if you want to shoot a capacity limited division like Production or Single Stack, you'll need 4-5 pouches. USPSA is more permissive as far as non-safety rules. Loading from the front pocket is fine in Open, limited or limited 10. Loading from any pocket behind the hip bone is fine in Production and Single Stack. The game itself is much much easier to understand.

I doubt you'd have a hard time finding someone with some single stack mag carriers to loan you. I just recently sold all mine, otherwise I'd happily do so myself. (on the condition you change that avatar....it creeps me out for some reason! :): )

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I'd be shooting at the Silver Creek Conservation Club in Sellersburg. Anyone else shoot there?
    Run what you brung!!!!Go by more guns and then Run what you brung and before long you will have guns and accessories for all DIVISIONS.
    If you shoot at Silver Creek, our range is only a few miles up 135-- we shot before Dave anyways(except this Sunday when the ICE hits) Come shoot with us also SCGC

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

If it helps and you show up at South Central or Silver Creek for the USPSA match I have 1 double 1911 mag pouch I will GIVE you. You would need 1 more double or use your back pocket.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Go shoot it and have fun. If my 14 year old brother can shoot USPSA as his first match so can everybody else!!! No comment on IDPA :D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IDPA is easier for a newbie only in sense that you need very minimal gear. A strong side type holster, 2 mag pouches, some kind of cover garment and you're on your way. Understanding the somewhat byzantine, nonsensical rules is another matter. Half the SO's don't even properly understand them.

USPSA has bigger stages with higher round counts, up to 32 a stage. So if you want to shoot a capacity limited division like Production or Single Stack, you'll need 4-5 pouches. USPSA is more permissive as far as non-safety rules. Loading from the front pocket is fine in Open, limited or limited 10. Loading from any pocket behind the hip bone is fine in Production and Single Stack. The game itself is much much easier to understand.

I doubt you'd have a hard time finding someone with some single stack mag carriers to loan you. I just recently sold all mine, otherwise I'd happily do so myself. (on the condition you change that avatar....it creeps me out for some reason! :): )

You arent the first to mention being weirded out. Scary thing is that pic came from a collection of dating website pics. So creepy indeed. Dont worry, its about time for me to change avitars. :)

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I appreciate it. I finally tried sporting clays and loved it SOOO much more than trap or skeet. I guess Im just itching to "get off the X and start burning them down" as Mr. Tacticool Beard would say. Standing still and punching holes in paper just arent doing it for me anymore.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I too am looking to start either USPSA or IDPA (Ive heard IDPA is easier on the new competitor).

All malarky aside, there is a lot too be said for whichever has you driving the least to get there, eventually you will figure out a preference but you might well enjoy both and even add steels to the list.

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    When I first started shooting USPSA, I shot a model 15 with several speed loaders at a USPSA match. I still enjoyed the match. I'd be more worried about the weather than the equipment.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Run what you brung!!!!Go by more guns and then Run what you brung and before long you will have guns and accessories for all DIVISIONS.
    If you shoot at Silver Creek, our range is only a few miles up 135-- we shot before Dave anyways(except this Sunday when the ICE hits) Come shoot with us also SCGC

Are you referring to Dave B.? His wife and my wife work together. He told me that he'd give me one free run to see how I liked it

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I'm lookimg to shoot an USPSA match for the first time. I've been reading through the 100+ page rule book. I have a Sig P226 mk25 in 9mm with 3 15 round magazines. No holster, no magazine holders. It looks like I need to pick up a holster to be able to compete. I guess I can stick the extra mags in my back pocket.

Question: i see from the rules that I want a holster that is mounted to my belt and does not have access to the trigger well. Does that pretty much sum it up? Also, how much ammo do I need to being to such match? I watched some videos on you tube and it just looks like they empty mags on targets. Didn't appear that they had x number or shots per target.

any info for a newbie would be appreciated,
    thanks

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm lookimg to shoot an USPSA match for the first time. I've been reading through the 100+ page rule book. I have a Sig P226 mk25 in 9mm with 3 15 round magazines. No holster, no magazine holders. It looks like I need to pick up a holster to be able to compete. I guess I can stick the extra mags in my back pocket.

Question: i see from the rules that I want a holster that is mounted to my belt and does not have access to the trigger well. Does that pretty much sum it up? Also, how much ammo do I need to being to such match? I watched some videos on you tube and it just looks like they empty mags on targets. Didn't appear that they had x number or shots per target.

any info for a newbie would be appreciated,
    thanks

Yes, you need a strong side belt, paddle, or IWB holster that covers the trigger guard. It should also be stiff enough to reholster with one hand. Floppy nylon holster are false economy and not recommended.

You might as well get some single or double mag pouches to carry your spare mags. If you can acquire more magazines, it will work better for you.

You'll need a good, stiff belt. Flimsy belts will not support your gun and other gear properly.

Ammo will depend on the match. Your best bet is to check the match announcement for an estimate, and/or contact the match director. I prefer to bring double the minimum round count for the match. You will probably fire extra shots and you may need to reshoot a stage.

I don't know what you're watching with emptying magazines into targets. On most USPSA stages, each paper target requires two hits. Sometimes it's less and sometimes it's more, but 2 per paper is the standard. Steel targets must fall to score, which could take one shot to hit, or more.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I don't know what you're watching with emptying magazines into targets. On most USPSA stages, each paper target requires two hits. Sometimes it's less and sometimes it's more, but 2 per paper is the standard. Steel targets must fall to score, which could take one shot to hit, or more.

it looked like they were shooting 2 at paper targets, but some people looked to be rapid firing on the steel targets until they were hit. I just figured you would get x number of rounds per stage.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    it looked like they were shooting 2 at paper targets, but some people looked to be rapid firing on the steel targets until they were hit. I just figured you would get x number of rounds per stage.
    Most USPSA stages are Comstock, which means you can use as many rounds as you wish to complete with no penalties other than the time it takes you. Any stage with steel will be Comstock. Some stage are Virginia count, in a Virginia count stage you are to shoot the number of shots per target specified in the written stage briefing (WSB). If you fire more and/or have more shots on target than specified in the WSB, you receive penalties per each occurrence. Around here usually only see Virginia count on classifier stages or standards.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    Kirkd,
    Come check out USPSA in person this Sunday at Atlanta Conservation Club (ACC). It probably only and hour, hour & 15 minutes from Greenwood.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Kirkd,
    Come check out USPSA in person this Sunday at Atlanta Conservation Club (ACC). It probably only and hour, hour & 15 minutes from Greenwood.

I saw the post for the shoot on Sunday and wanted to give it a try. I'm trying to get a holter together for it. I know, I know, I have had a permit since for almost 20 years and never have carried. I got in mainly because of the silly rules for transporting for target practice. My local sherrif bqck when I first applied talked me into ot. Back then, you has 2 permits: target and concelled carry. I went there to get a target permit and he talked me into a concelled carry permit.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Kirkd, I have a couple 226 holsters and will be at the match, let me know if you need one and your welcome to borrow it.

Top Bottom