• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out a guy by the name of Steve Rinella.

I really enjoyed his show on the Travel Channel. He had very interesting and in depth thoughts and philosophies on hunting, eating what we kill, and the history of human kind. I'd actually forgot about it, but I have been meaning to pick up some of his writings. He has a new show coming up this fall on the Sportsmans Channel called "Meateater."

I think this is on my short list now:
    The Scavenger’s Guide To Haute Cuisine « Steven Rinella

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    I got my first deer kill last season, nice 15 pointer, but that's for another time. Cleaning really wasn't too bad at all but I would without a doubt have someone with you who has done it before. Watching video's on youtube doesn't prepare you at all once you start cutting. Best word of advice, avoid the gut sack. You'll learn once if you puncture it, only time you have to do it.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    First off a lot of respect to the OP's honesty and second off a lot of respect to the community for there responses.
    The best advice I can give is have someone walk you through it the first time. My best friend took me hunting and when I got my deer he said here I'm gonna do this for you once pay attention. He walked me through everything and been taken care of buisnes ever since.
    You will be fine the euphoria from the kill will over shadow any doubts you have.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm in the same boat. I have a garage with a drain and plan to do the whole shebang, if I get time to go out and get one this year. May not turn out perfect, but I'm sure to learn a bunch. :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I remember the first time I cleaned a fresh-caught fish, I was 10 years old. Used to fish a lot with my older brother and my younger sister. I remember the fish cleaning being very gross the first few times, then you forget about the gross part and it becomes a personal challenge to make each fillet a little cleaner than the last one. And if there is any one thing that makes a little boy get over "gross" in a big hurry, its the fear of being shown up by his little sister!!

Hunting is the same way. There's a few things to learn along the way, but you eventually get more and more proficient at it and don't let the work part interfere with the fun part. It's all part of what makes a great experience very personally rewarding. When it comes to gutting a deer, you will quickly learn why it is very important to place your shots well! Nothing nastier than field dressing a gut-shot deer. I recommend hunting with someone who has done it a few times who you can watch and learn from. If you don't have someone more experienced to hunt with, then take your deer in to a local processor the first time and ask if you can watch and learn. Don't sweat the small stuff. You will be fine.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 20 and 14 yr old daughters have volunteered to field dress my next deer (17 yr old is a definite NO FREAKIN WAY!)
    Kinda nerdy CSI types, honors bio kids..........they've watched me do rabbits and geese, start to finish. Also seen deer already gutted get processed in the garage.

Never seen a full field dressing of a deer. Did watch a bud do his, was halfway done when they arrived.

Eating Kitkats in their girly winter coats.......standing by that bloody mess (my bud not too good at it). They even went to the processors and watched them hack deer apart in factory type fashion.

That shocked them a bit, but after that they got used to seeing it yearly.

I think some places act a little more reverent than others, when handling deer carcasses.

Know it's silly, but I try to be a little respectful in how I handle my dead animals. Just something I've always done.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I didn't want to hijack Hickman's thread, so I'll ask here.

I've been deer hunting (or hunting of any sort, really) only once in my life, but we didn't even see any, much less bag one. The fact is, I was kind of glad we didn't. Sound strange? I'm sure it is, but I'll tell you why.

The fact of the matter is, while I have no problem with the notion of shooting animals (game), I've never cared for the thought of dealing with the carcasses. I don't find it particularly gross - I've worked for a butcher before and did my fair share of beef and poultry cutting. What I *do* find it, however, is a little creepy. Handling a freshly killed animal is just more than a little unsettling for me. Heaven forbid some sort of postmortem nervous twitch or something happen - I would probably squeal like a little girl, turn and run dead into a tree. If I were a wealthy man, I would probably hire someone to come along and carry my gear/deal with the kills for me. :D

I've had to handle dead pets before, and I think the only reason that wasn't so bad was the fact that they were more or less part of the family, and it was easy to show them the respect they deserved after passing.

Anyone else had to adjust to hunting in this regard?

Never had one twitch and have done several. It is not really hard to do, but I do understand your thoughts on this. I have had them at times myself. You need to work through it and you will find it is a very rewarding experience.
    If the thought of it is too much. Get a good camera and shoot them that way. I do that also, and find that rewarding as well.
    I do not view it as a bad or negative thing. I see it as a respect for the animal who gave up its life to sustain mine. More of a spiritual thing really, not to sound hokey about it. It is not about the kill for me, as I have went home deer less several times, but I bring back with me something every time I go out. Some people get such an adrenaline dump, you do not think much about it anyway.

The first deer I ever got we had to butcher on our own. The weather turned very warm, and we could not get it to the meat processor. We decided to do it ourself. We talked about cooking some up right there, but by the time we were done, we could not do it. After about a week we had some, but at the time it was a little much.
    Good luck, and good hunting if that is what you decide. I can promise you though it will be an experience you will never forget. I remember my first deer like it was yesterday, and cherish every minute of it. Was hooked for life.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I'm in the same boat. I have a garage with a drain and plan to do the whole shebang, if I get time to go out and get one this year. May not turn out perfect, but I'm sure to learn a bunch. :)

Do most of the shebang in the field. Less to deal with at home...Trust me. Less weight, less mess, and if you do it all at home, you have a big gut pile to figure out what to do with. :twocents:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Not that bad to gut a deer...unless you puncture the paunch or intestines.

My method...in the field of course...

Field Dressing Deer

Most "strong-tasting" venison is caused by one thing, improper handling of the deer once it is dead. Most deer hunters are not aware that once the deer is dead it is no longer just a deer, but is now "meat." How that meat is handled determines whether it will be gourmet food or dog meat. Heat is the number one spoiler of meat. Therefore, it is necessary to cool the carcass quickly by immediately field dressing the deer. This is not too difficult of a task if done properly. After making sure the animal is dead you:

* TAKE YOUR TIME

*If it is as a bow kill, be cautious if you do not know where the broadhead is.

*Roll the animal onto its back.

*Starting at the sternum or breastbone, cut carefully towards the pelvis through the skin and thin wall of the body cavity. By inserting two fingers in the cut that will slide just ahead of and on each side of the knife blade, you can prevent puncturing the stomach or intestines.

*If your animal is a buck, make cuts on both sides of his penis all the way back to his anus. This will free the urine track. You may leave this attached to prevent any urinal flow that may contaminate the meat. If your animal is a doe, simply cutting away the milk glands is sufficient.

*Insert the tip of your knife next to the anus and cut completely around the anus. This will free up the end of the intestines.

*Rolling the deer onto each of it’s sides, you can then reach in to cut around the edges of the diaphragm separating it from the chest wall.

*You then cut the ribs off to the side of the breastbone by pulling up on your knife. Be careful how far you cut if you are planning on mounting your trophy.

A word of warning - NEVER pull the knife towards you. Always push the knife away from you.

*Reach up into the chest cavity and grasp the windpipe. Cut the windpipe in two ahead of where you are holding. Once the windpipe has been cut, start pulling on it towards the rear of the deer. You might have to use your knife to help free the organs as you pull.

*After pulling the organs free, turn the animal over on its belly and elevate the head if possible to allow drainage of blood.

*If the weather is warm, the deer needs to be hung in a controlled temperature cooler or butchered immediately. If the weather is cool (no more than 45øF) the deer can be hung and aged for up to a week out of the sun.

*The deer should be hung in a garage or shed to provide shade and keep the neighbor's dog away. A game bag and/or a liberal dose of pepper will help keep away flies.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Gutting a deer is pretty easy. Like others said, lots of online sources to learn for guys today. Would have been nice to have youtube back in the late 80's when I had to learn by myself using pages torn out of a book. Not growing up with a hunting dad or any other family member, I had to learn on my own. I tore a "how to" out of a book and put it in my pack and then took it step by step. I still follow pretty much the same basic process today ... just much much faster at it.

One thing I do for every deer is while I might go faster than I did years ago, I still am careful in how I dress the deer and try to keep the field dressing as clean as possible in terms of little to no dirt, stomach matter, other contaminates to the meat. I've been with guys that just hack, cut, and pull at everything and it makes me sick thinking about eating the meat that has literally been in direct contact with fecal matter and urine. I try to take a little pride in my dressed deer so that it is healthy to eat and looks presentable should a non-hunter see it.

But really, it isn't a difficult job to do. I personally don't find it disgusting. Just part of the hunt.

There just isn't much better than a steaming gut pile on a cold morning.:D

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I suggest the OP start out fishing. Learn how to clean your fish, prepare the meat and then cook the meat. Next move up to rabbits and squirrels and do the same. The final step is to move up to the hogs and deers.

I find it easier if I visualize the hog or deer as standing bacon or standing jerky on the hoof.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    I've been lucky, I got a buddy that showed me all of that. I knew nothing of it before going hunting with him. I like skinning and butchering, the gut removal still leaves me feeling a bit strange though. The more you do it, the more you will come accustomed to it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Do most of the shebang in the field. Less to deal with at home...Trust me. Less weight, less mess, and if you do it all at home, you have a big gut pile to figure out what to do with. :twocents:

I figured I would gut it in the field. But then take to the check station and then skin and butcher at home. I don't want to drag out any more weight than I have to. :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My first deer my bud dressed while I went to get the truck (hotter than heck). My next deer was all by myself, just think big rabbit and that'll get you through it.

What you learn on that first one bumps you to the next level and you'll be a pro on deer #2.

Been doing it the same way ever since, only change will be the move to purple surgical gloves this yr.

To add what Willie wrote:

Warm weather hunting, we always take black pepper. After pics we pepper 'em down and it keeps the flies and bees off on the way home, or if you pop one in the morning and your partners want to hunt through evening.........hang for the day peppered in the shade and then take off from the hunting grounds.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    There is no drawback large enough that it should keep you from enjoying deer hunting. Any qualms you may have will go away the first time the hard work pays off and you have that animal at 10yds.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I suggest the OP start out fishing. Learn how to clean your fish, prepare the meat and then cook the meat. Next move up to rabbits and squirrels and do the same. The final step is to move up to the hogs and deers.

I find it easier if I visualize the hog or deer as standing bacon or standing jerky on the hoof.

I've been fishing for as long as I can remember. Cleaning fish doesn't bother me in the least. To be honest though, I feel the same way about rabbit and squirrel as I do deer. It's not the gutting and dressing that bothers me. It's the thought that I'm handling a corpse - creepy, not disgusting.

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm sure it's something I'll get over easily enough. My brother is pretty well-versed in all of it, so I do have someone that can provide guidance.

I'm looking forward to checking out Steven Rinella's programs.

Thanks again!

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I don't know that anyone who has been hunting and dressing their own deer for any matter of time can say they have never accidentally hit the paunch or intestines at one time or another. It happens. If you are careful it doesn't have to ruin the meat. You might have to trim the infected areas away before you butcher it though.

Top Bottom