• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Boot camp we had a company of approx 80.
    But after that, I never had to deal with company, platoon, squad, brigade, etc.
    In school, it was class. Yankee class, or 86-06.
    Shipboard it was department, division.

I can never figure those army designations out
    Being a Navy veteran I was only in a Company during boot camp. After that I went to A School and then a Squadron as I worked on A7Es. The Squadron was part of a Carrier Air Wing and then that was attached to an Air Station or ship.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Boot camp we had a company of approx 80.
    But after that, I never had to deal with company, platoon, squad, brigade, etc.
    In school, it was class. Yankee class, or 86-06.
    Shipboard it was department, division.

I can never figure those army designations out
    Navy organization structure bewildered me when I was in Iceland. Navy Supply (across the street from the Air Force Supply Squadron) was a Department. The P-3 Orion units were Squadrons. There were "Naval Support Activities" and the place that did the submarine tracking was called a NAVFAC (Naval Facility.)

Smaller Air Force bases were easier as far as far as organization. An operational Wing (Fighter, Bomber, Refueling, Airlift, etc.) had Groups (Operations, Maintenance, Mission Support, etc.) then you'd have Squadrons under the Groups (Fighter Squadrons worked for the Operations Group, who worked for the Fighter Wing.) The guys in flight suits worked for Ops, they never worked for a Civil Engineer.

Eglin AFB, Florida (my most favoritist base EVER) was really confusing. There was a 2-Star, but he commanded the Air Armament Center which was a tenant on the base. I worked for the 53rd Wing (multi-role mission, included Operational Test and Evaluation, Electronic Warfare, and Weapons Evaluation.) The 33rd Fighter Wing flew F-15s (and shot down more Iraqis in Desert Storm than anybody else.) The 46th Test Wing (R&D testing, weapons testing) was there but the 96th Air Base Wing did all the base support functions and that Colonel was considered the "Base Commander".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Navy organization structure bewildered me when I was in Iceland. Navy Supply (across the street from the Air Force Supply Squadron) was a Department. The P-3 Orion units were Squadrons. There were "Naval Support Activities" and the place that did the submarine tracking was called a NAVFAC (Naval Facility.)

The Navy is "ship oriented", even on a base.
    Department, is an organizational subsection of the ship.
    Weapons, Radio, Sonar (might have been "Sensors".. it's been awhile), Engineering, Medical, Supply... those were the "Departments". I might have forgotten some.
    That's why the "Navy Supply" you were talking about, was a department. Because it is a subsection of the base organization.
    Within each "Department" are "Divisions". For instance... I was in Engineering Department... Reactor Controls Division. Eng Dept also had Electrical (nuc), Mechanical (nuc) and Mechanical (non-nuc).

As for Squadrons.... a division of airplanes used around a simple goal.
    Such as... "anti-sub", "attack", "fighter", and such.
    P-3s are used for anti-sub, so that's what their squadron designation will represent.
    This squadron will include pilots, first line maintenance, administration.
    This is so that if a squadron becomes combat ineffective, the carrier is not taken out of service.
    It will continue, by transferring the decimated squadron off, and a new squadron on.

This actually bit the Japs in the butt, in WWII, when their squadrons would become ineffective, and the entire carrier (undamaged) was pulled offline.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As for the designation of the "base", well that depends on the "size" of the command.
    I don't remember it exactly, but Base... then Station... then Command...
    something like that.
    Norfolk Naval Base, contained Norfolk Naval Air Station (Norfolk NAS).
    Several "squadrons" were at the Norfolk NAS when they were not on the Carrier.

Some of the places I went to for schools were a Base. Some a Station. Some a Command.
    And some... I don't really remember.
    I went to Prototype in Ballston Spa, NY.
    NPTU Ballston... Nuclear Power Training Unit.
    They had a couple different prototype reactors. Each contained some naval trainers, civilian "techs/scientists" and naval trainees.
    The NPTU was a General Electric Facility... with a naval component at it.
    So, we were kind of bast***s there.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    My God, the AF and Nav tables of organization are pure migraines.
    The Army kept it simple (well....they kinda had to).
    8~10 guys made a rifle squad (if one of them was a grenadier, then you had a "fire team"...oooohhh. Guess it sounded better in the bars.)
    4 squads made a platoon, 3~4 platoons made a company (with or without a "heavy weapons" section) and you didn't need to know anything higher up than that, because nothing good ever happened there.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    So what is the arm chair ideal for neighborhood watch/community policing?

The example seems to lean towards the former.
    That said, what does an effective contingent look like?
    Min 2 person patrols,
    Reliable comms,
    Armed with what?

Merely Observe and Report or is incident response and investigation included?
    Work/life balance issues?

Just curious to hear other voices.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My God, the AF and Nav tables of organization are pure migraines.
    The Army kept it simple (well....they kinda had to).
    8~10 guys made a rifle squad (if one of them was a grenadier, then you had a "fire team"...oooohhh. Guess it sounded better in the bars.)
    4 squads made a platoon, 3~4 platoons made a company (with or without a "heavy weapons" section) and you didn't need to know anything higher up than that, because nothing good ever happened there.

Oh yes
    That's TOTALLY understandable.

:scratch:

:nuts:

:stickpoke:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Weapons, Radio, Sonar (might have been "Sensors".. it's been awhile), Engineering, Medical, Supply... those were the "Departments". I might have forgotten some.

Funny story about "organization".

Heads of departments are OFFICERS.
    They report directly to the XO.

Officers will often be referred to by which Dept. they lead.
    Weaps
    Sup or Supply
    ChEng (cheng) for.. Chief Engineer
    And such.

On a sub, the "Medical Department" consists of ONE Corpsman.
    One
    Corpsman... enlisted rank.

But.. since he is the ENTIRE DEPARTMENT, he is therefore the HEAD of the department. The department of ONE.
    But.. since Departments are lead by OFFICERS....

He gets referred to as the MDR
    Medical
    Department
    Representative.

Sort of like, the head of the Med Dept. was busy somewhere, and he had someone "stand in" for him.

Like I said, the organization is "ship oriented", and attempts to be universal across the Navy.
    Helps people remember stuff when they don't have to change organization every time they transfer.

Such as...
    "Engine Orders".

All ahead one third.
    Ships with multiple propellers can make each engine go a different speed, to help them maneuver faster/better.
    Starboard ahead full
    Port back full
    Helps the ship turn to Port.

But a submarine only has one Main Engine.
    But we still say.. all ahead one third

Cause.. it's the Navy. That's why.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What does doing "the hard work of healing that pain" entail Mr. Mayor? Or are you more interested in throwing out empty buzzwords than actually making the community safer?

When criminals are allowed to run the streets with impunity, eventually people will step up to fill the void. And based on photos in the article, it's not like this is some group of mean old white conservative gun owners trying to keep the minorities away.

Self-Defense-Brigade.jpg
    Can any of you imagine the court case when any one of those people kill some "poor boy just visiting his grandma, bringing her a bag of Skittles.

Top Bottom