• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nologic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    I am just a little confused on something. Again and again I have this serineo running through my head.

Just for the sake of argument, what do you do if your in a gas station late at night and a knife wielding mad man enters and attempts to rob the place. You draw your ccw and have him at gun point. He drops the knife and you order him to the ground and call 911 if nobody has already.

What do you do? Keep him at gun point? I'm not so sure I would be so comfortable holding a weapon when the police show up. Any insight on this?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    STay at the ready but gun pointed down, instruct the person who calls the police to advise them that you have the bg detained at gun point and have them give basic description of you so the Leo knows what he is walking into

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I have read before that when the police arrive, people will reholster their weapon and kneel on the floor, legs locked and hands behind head until the cop addresses them.

Not too sure about it, but it sounds like a decent idea. You never know when you'll get a rookie cop on his first solo run. Personally, I wouldn't want to be his first shot.

...pretty sure I'm gonna get flamed for this post. Oh well, it's what I've read elsewhere.

Nologic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    I have read before that when the police arrive, people will reholster their weapon and kneel on the floor, legs locked and hands behind head until the cop addresses them.

Not too sure about it, but it sounds like a decent idea. You never know when you'll get a rookie cop on his first solo run. Personally, I wouldn't want to be his first shot.

...pretty sure I'm gonna get flamed for this post. Oh well, it's what I've read elsewhere.

This only gives the bg a chance to escape or turn on you again though. IMHO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    I have thought this through myself. I have figured that i would hold my weapon "on" him until I heard/saw the officer enter the lot, at which point I would lock back my slide(losing one round). When the officer enters the building and takes control of the situation, I could drop the mag and have a paperweight. If the BG does something before the officer comes in, I could hit the slide release and be back in control in a fraction of a second. Not sure if it would work in the real world, but it was my thoughts...

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    thats a tough spot to b in, and i know how i would want it to go down but with so many variables, panic, other people panicking, trying to keep bg under control till cops get there, not getting shot by a cop, i would just hope if ur in that situation that u are calm enough to try and control all variables; i.e telling whoever calls to give a very good description of what is goin on to dispatcher to keep u as safe as possible. Like i said tough spot to b in.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I held a gun on a person with a knife who wanted to committ suicide for over an hour in a hot attic. I had a partner with me and we too turns. Try a "low ready" position. A place that you can look over your sights but not too far down. Remember keep space and if he reacts towards you you are behind his actions.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    ^^ Irahm...so the threat of getting shot prevented a guy from slashing himself, trying to commit suicide...oh the irony.

Make sure the cops know the description of the good guy when arriving on the scene. I would keep my gun out incase the perp has a suprise weapon that you don't know about.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd say.... It depends!

Too many variables.

Not much of an answer - but it's an honest one.

Also: This thread title + your user name made me chuckle.

-J-

Nologic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    I'd say.... It depends!

Too many variables.

Not much of an answer - but it's an honest one.

Also: This thread title + your user name made me chuckle.

-J-

I love my username. Like a puckering anus cavity?

Anyone ever go through anything like this in real life? Ya gotta wonder how many guys on here have ever actually used their weapon. Not many I guess.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I am not a cop and don't wannabe. I'd feel no obligation to interrupt a robbery at knifepoint unless I perceived imminent harm to the clerk, another shopper, or myself. If I thought the event would play out with out anyone getting hurt, I would try to be a good witness for the subsequent police report. If I had to draw, I would allow the robber the option of the front door without trying to hold him for the police. My concern would be safety for all involved, not to play cop. YMMV.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    If the clerk stays on the phone with the cops so they know precisely what's going on and who is the BG I think you'd be safe. I would address the cop immediately and let him know I was the customer and put my gun away as soon as the cop enters. The clerk should back you up on that. Then stand clear with your hands in plain view and follow the cops direction. Most cops aren't going to come in shooting just because they see a gun if they KNOW what is happening! I mean they are people not robots that shoot every time they see a firearm!! Give them some credit for intelligence and training!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am not a cop and don't wannabe. I'd feel no obligation to interrupt a robbery at knifepoint unless I perceived imminent harm to the clerk, another shopper, or myself. If I thought the event would play out with out anyone getting hurt, I would try to be a good witness for the subsequent police report. If I had to draw, I would allow the robber the option of the front door without trying to hold him for the police. My concern would be safety for all involved, not to play cop. YMMV.

Smart man.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok, two stories here:
    1) I interrupted the attempted rape of a 13 year old girl when I lived back on the east coast, I was 21 and had had my CC permit (in that state it IS a CC permit) for literally about a month. I saw what was going on and yelled at the guy, hoping that he'd take off after being spotted, unfortunately, not the case. Guy stood up and he was HUGE (ok, he seemed HUGE at the time, in reality, he was about my height and about 100lbs heavier than me) He looks at me, grabs a piece of pipe that was there by the dumpster where he was trying to rape the little girl and starts my way. At a distance of about 25ft I drew my weapon (Colt Officers 1911) the subject immediately stopped moving towards me and after yelling at him to drop the pipe a couple times he complied, he also complied with my orders to prone himself out. I pulled out my cell and called 911, I advised the dispatcher of my location and what was going on, where we were. I also told the dispatcher that I was holding the subject at gun point, that I was NOT going to approach him, and described what I was wearing. When the first unit arrived on scene he pulled in behind me. The officer came up on my weak side, his weapon was not drawn but he did have a hand on it, he ordered me to holster my gun and "don't ****ing touch it." I holstered and then just crossed my arms across my chest. He went and secured the BG in cuffs and other units arrived, nobody degunned me (which given the libtard philosophy out there surprised the hell outta me) though they did check my permit. They took my info and a LT thanked me for being there and doing the right thing.
    2) Shortly after moving to Indy I was working for a security company as an armed officer. I was at a property on the west side where we'd had allot of vacant units being broken into when I found a vacant with the sliding glass door smashed in. Per policy I radioed my dispatch, gave them my location and advised I was going to clear the unit. I drew my weapon (Glock 21) and proceeded to conduct a clear. In the master bedroom I discovered three individuals smoking herb and drinking. I proned out the three subjects then radioed my dispatch to have them call IPD (it was still IPD back then) and ask for units to respond, I also advised him to tell them that I was holding the subjects at gun point, was not going to approach due to being outnumbered 3 to 1. Few minutes go by and IPD arrives on scene, I holler out, "We're up here, end of the hall" I hear what sounds like a friggin elephant coming up the stairs and then hear, "Drop the ****ing gun a**hole" thinking that I'd somehow missed another subject in the unit I glance over my shoulder only to see an IPD Officer with his gun pointed straight at me! Mind you, I'm in full uniform, virtually identical to IPD's uniform (hell from the back the only difference was they wore patent leather duty belts and mine was black basket weave, obviously patches and badge were different too, but you couldn't see them from the back) Anyway, I end up proned out on the floor with my gun about 5ft to my side (I didn't drop the gun, I laid it down and slid it away with my foot, no way I'm intentionally dropping a $500+ gun lol) while this IPD a**hat stands there pointing a gun at me and the three subjects waiting for back up. Eventually when back up got there I was able to stand up and recover my gun, the three BGs went to jail, I continued my shift with a dirty uniform from laying on the floor.

So, what's the moral of this novel I just wrote? There is no right answer as to what to do, in a situation in a dark park in street clothes the cops were cool and a appreciative, in a situation in a dark apartment in a full uniform, the cop was an a**hat and drew on me and proned me out. :dunno:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Ok, two stories here:
    1) I interrupted the attempted rape of a 13 year old girl when I lived back on the east coast, I was 21 and had had my CC permit (in that state it IS a CC permit) for literally about a month. I saw what was going on and yelled at the guy, hoping that he'd take off after being spotted, unfortunately, not the case. Guy stood up and he was HUGE (ok, he seemed HUGE at the time, in reality, he was about my height and about 100lbs heavier than me) He looks at me, grabs a piece of pipe that was there by the dumpster where he was trying to rape the little girl and starts my way. At a distance of about 25ft I drew my weapon (Colt Officers 1911) the subject immediately stopped moving towards me and after yelling at him to drop the pipe a couple times he complied, he also complied with my orders to prone himself out. I pulled out my cell and called 911, I advised the dispatcher of my location and what was going on, where we were. I also told the dispatcher that I was holding the subject at gun point, that I was NOT going to approach him, and described what I was wearing. When the first unit arrived on scene he pulled in behind me. The officer came up on my weak side, his weapon was not drawn but he did have a hand on it, he ordered me to holster my gun and "don't ****ing touch it." I holstered and then just crossed my arms across my chest. He went and secured the BG in cuffs and other units arrived, nobody degunned me (which given the libtard philosophy out there surprised the hell outta me) though they did check my permit. They took my info and a LT thanked me for being there and doing the right thing.
    2) Shortly after moving to Indy I was working for a security company as an armed officer. I was at a property on the west side where we'd had allot of vacant units being broken into when I found a vacant with the sliding glass door smashed in. Per policy I radioed my dispatch, gave them my location and advised I was going to clear the unit. I drew my weapon (Glock 21) and proceeded to conduct a clear. In the master bedroom I discovered three individuals smoking herb and drinking. I proned out the three subjects then radioed my dispatch to have them call IPD (it was still IPD back then) and ask for units to respond, I also advised him to tell them that I was holding the subjects at gun point, was not going to approach due to being outnumbered 3 to 1. Few minutes go by and IPD arrives on scene, I holler out, "We're up here, end of the hall" I hear what sounds like a friggin elephant coming up the stairs and then hear, "Drop the ****ing gun a**hole" thinking that I'd somehow missed another subject in the unit I glance over my shoulder only to see an IPD Officer with his gun pointed straight at me! Mind you, I'm in full uniform, virtually identical to IPD's uniform (hell from the back the only difference was they wore patent leather duty belts and mine was black basket weave, obviously patches and badge were different too, but you couldn't see them from the back) Anyway, I end up proned out on the floor with my gun about 5ft to my side (I didn't drop the gun, I laid it down and slid it away with my foot, no way I'm intentionally dropping a $500+ gun lol) while this IPD a**hat stands there pointing a gun at me and the three subjects waiting for back up. Eventually when back up got there I was able to stand up and recover my gun, the three BGs went to jail, I continued my shift with a dirty uniform from laying on the floor.

So, what's the moral of this novel I just wrote? There is no right answer as to what to do, in a situation in a dark park in street clothes the cops were cool and a appreciative, in a situation in a dark apartment in a full uniform, the cop was an a**hat and drew on me and proned me out. :dunno:

You and MRORTEGA should hang out...

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia

Agreed. If my family was with me - my first obligation is to their safety and getting them out of the situation. I am not sure if I woul let him out the front door or not - case dependant, I guess.

Of course, if you were OC'ing - you would already have been the first victim.:):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But how do you know if the person is interested in simple robbery, or intends mayhem? A robbery in Merrillville at a convienience(sp?) store started as a robbery. Money was handed over, no problems. Perp started walking out, then went back in and killed clerk, for no reason.
    If a person is waiving a weapon around and threatening people, best to take him serious.

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    I would assume if I pulled my weapon the BG would run like hell , they run from cops why wouldnt they run from me . The guy might be a criminal but surely he is smart enough to know a knife wont win a gunfight .

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I would assume if I pulled my weapon the BG would run like hell , they run from cops why wouldnt they run from me . The guy might be a criminal but surely he is smart enough to know a knife wont win a gunfight .

...you've not been around many drug addicts, have you?

Top Bottom