• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Loaded up some 380 acp for my first loads. Used 231 at three levels and found which load would cycle my Kahr P380. Have some Remington 95gr FMJ RN that I want to load next. Looked at my 3 manuals--Speer,Lee,and Lyman and found conflicting data between the three. Explaining further let me give the COL,min load,and max load for each of the three:

Lee--95gr FMJ
    --OAL--.970
    --Start--2.9gr
    --Max--3.2gr

Speer--95gr TMJ RN
    --COl tested--.970
    --Start--3.6gr
    --max--4.0

Lyman--95gr FMJ
    --OAL--.900
    --Start--2.1
    --Max--2.9

The Speer data shows higher velocities.

My questions are: Which is the max load I should be carefull not to exceed? What should my initial load be? Is the Lyman data so low because of the smaller OAL (.900) or are they just conservative. Opinions needed from experts.Much thanks

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yes, Lyman's data is lower because of the shorter OAL. Very small changes in OAL can have a big impact on pressures.

I would go with the longer OAL and use and average of the first two starting loads. Work up in .2 increments until your gun functions well.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    What edition Lyman manual do you have? Mine is the 49. If yours is older, I'll happily look it up in mine, for one more reference point.

Otherwise, I'm with Pughead. Stick to what won't ruin your gun! Arm be damned!

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Use your barrel as a case gauge and perform the "plunk" test. Then you can figure where your going to need to be on your powder charge accordingly. Just start low and you'll be fine.

Your particular gun may or may not like the longer OAL.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    My Lyman manual is Third Edition and just bought it last yr. I have a case gauge/headspace gauge but--whats a "plunk test"? Appreciate all the input. The shorter COL makes sense that it would use less powder. My last reloads used a COL of .980 and they functioned well in both of my 380's. Last question, is there any reason a TMJ would need more powder than a FMJ?

Top Bottom