• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    If a local shop can get close on price to something that I want I am in. I hate driving around wasting time looking for what I want. Most of the local gun shops where I live (rusty duck, black bore firearms, buck shot sporting goods II, big daddys) are great shops to deal with and make deals happen.

2ndAMEND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Northern
    Something like 98% (yeah, I made that up but it's probably accurate) of the people in this country are on the government's teat one way or another. It ain't ever gonna happen.

Don't worry 98% of ALL statistitics are made up on the spot 100% of the time

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I was not a big fan of my LGS until the panic after Obama and the panic after Sandy Hook. He did not jack up his prices and he did not allow the resellers to come in and clean him out of ammo. He used case-by-case basis to provide ammo to SHOOTERS not resellers while rewarding his loyal customers. He has always been a tad high (but not outlandish) on prices. He is also friendly and willing to order whatever I would like. If walmart put him out of business I would lose an excellent gun resource. I patronize my LGS.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am having trouble justifying buying guns and firearm accessories from any LGS.

On average, I would say that I purchase a new gun about every other month. That is about six per year. Now, I am not a high-end buyer, but I do regularly buy guns valued at $300-700. Additionally, I am always buying "extras" for my guns (bipods, laser/flashlights, stocks, mags, etc.).

Typically, I am a "support local" kinda guy. However, for the following reasons, I am having trouble justifying buying from local gun shops anymore because:

1. inconsistent, small inventories.
    2. sales tax (a biggie)
    3. always having to go through NICS (having my purchases tracked)
    4. inexpensive and fast shipping options from online retailers.
    5. $25 FFL transfers.
    6. Many "cooler and smarter than you" LGS employees.
    7. Ease of finding used, like new and below MSRP options through INGO, Armslist, etc.

Anyone else struggling with this?

There have been answers, I just figured I would put my input in.

1. This is true compared the vast internet, even big box stores like Gander does not have the inventory the internet does, however most stores try to purchase the main, wanted, sought after, and hard to find items as much as possible. Additionally a lot of stores like us that may not have the item you are looking for will special order it for you at a great price since they are not having to stock the item, they are just ordering it for you. This is a great way to get an awesome deal on something you are looking for. On top of that, used guns come in and out all the time and extreme good deals can be had that way as well. Lastly, don't let sticker price get you, most times the store has wiggle room to work with you on. Don't forget layaway in store as well...internet doesn't really have that.

2. I'm sure before long sales tax will hit the internet as well, it does already if the company has a hub in your state. Also, I'm pretty sure your supposed to claim those items as well but I'm not an expert.

3. If you transfer from an online retailer you still must use NICs. Obviously for accessories there is no NICS but you might get a better suggestion for an accessory from a person in the store that will work out better for your needs, lets not forget that you can handle items in the store which may help you confirm you want the item or show you that its not what you thought....happens every day here. NICS checks takes 5 minutes, this is really invalid. As for being "tracked", thats not really how it works but thats for another conversation.

4. We have fast shipping as well on special orders, even next day, or you can walk out with it the same day which can't be beat.

5. Our transfers are $15, but not sure what you are saying here either.

6. Deal with another employee. All personalities are different and jive with other personalities or not, so try a different guy in the store. I have customers that will only deal with me and there are others that will only deal with Chad, its just that way. Use a different store at if that doesn't work out. If you are out of options in your area because you live out in the sticks somewhere then I see your point that it can be anoying. We personly pride ourselves with customer service and knowledge, but have seen in the past the flip-side of the coin and know what you mean.

7. This is true minus the MSRP, most of the time you will find that a good store does not have items listed at MSRP, again you might be surprised what you find if you hit the local gun stores on a regular basis.

8. Good gun stores that you jive with are not just a retail outlet, its more like a barber shop mentality, a place to talk about guns, get ideas, share your opinion on something. Kinda like the internet, but in REAL LIFE, lol. You build a relationship with them and have fun doing it. Along with that comes the ease of buying. For instance, If you have been a good customer of mine and are looking at a gun, I might just take off a rediculous amount of money just to say thank you for being a good customer. It would not be the first time I have given a gun away at cost for something like that. Also, as we get to know a customer and what guns he might be looking for that he can't find and I run across one I snatch it up for him. There are many other things about gun store relationships that make it what it is like advice, ideas, better deals than the internet, fun, classes, social, etc. Not everyone is a gun shop person and we get that, but maybe this post might help someone trying to understand it.

At any rate, this is just my input

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Well written TAT7. Although I rarely go to shops, yours is not far from my house at all. I haven't been in for awhile, it may be a time for a visit.
    Just to see what you have.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that runs a shop out of his home. He will order any gun or accessory for 5% over his cost. He only charges tax on new guns. He said he feels that the tax was already paid on a used gun when it was bought new.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that runs a shop out of his home. He will order any gun or accessory for 5% over his cost. He only charges tax on new guns. He said he feels that the tax was already paid on a used gun when it was bought new.

Aint that the truth. I thought that every year when I had a new car and renewed the plates...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I like my LGS because when I go in they call me by name, they ask how the family is doing, hows work etc...I of course reciprocate the same. One does not usually get that personal touch at a big box store. They have even put a gun off thier rack into lay-away for me over the phone. Just put something on it next time your in. I have never seen the big box stores do that for me. Just my :twocents:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I like my LGS because when I go in they call me by name, they ask how the family is doing, hows work etc...I of course reciprocate the same. One does not usually get that personal touch at a big box store. They have even put a gun off thier rack into lay-away for me over the phone. Just put something on it next time your in. I have never seen the big box stores do that for me. Just my :twocents:

Just Like Cheers.... "NORM"

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    if you buy at LGS then you don't have to deal with this BS.

I bought a barrel online, one of the Black Friday deals. once it was shipped, I called UPS for delivery date(because I was out of town) I was told to expect the package by the end of Wed. of course it didn't show up, and neither yesterday. Well, I just got off the phone with UPS and was informed it's won't be here till Monday.

granted, they have had it in Indy since Wed. night. I don't know what to say.

Indianapolis, IN, United States 12/06/2013 4:23 P.M. Arrival Scan
    Hodgkins, IL, United States 12/06/2013 12:09 P.M. Departure Scan
    Indianapolis, IN, United States 12/05/2013 9:59 A.M. Departure Scan

12/05/2013 12:12 A.M. Arrival Scan
    Indianapolis, IN, United States 12/04/2013 11:00 P.M. Due to local operation disruption, packages not unloaded from trailer, expect a one day business day delay
    Earth City, MO, United States 12/04/2013 4:49 P.M. Departure Scan

12/04/2013 2:26 P.M. Arrival Scan
    Mesquite, TX, United States 12/04/2013 3:34 A.M. Departure Scan
    Mesquite, TX, United States 12/03/2013 5:21 A.M. The package was left in a UPS facility. / Delivery rescheduled.

12/03/2013 3:00 A.M. Late trailer

12/03/2013 2:26 A.M. Departure Scan
    Mesquite, TX, United States 12/02/2013 8:11 P.M. Origin Scan
    United States 12/02/2013 4:51 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of LGS that I frequent and tend to buy from them whenever possible. If the total cost difference is not that much, I'll give the business to an LGS over giving it to a non-local company. I figure I've blown more money paying to go to the 1500 to fondle guns than I have lost to our favorite LGS's. There are some LGS that I don't care much for due to the ego's they hire to man the counters but the couple I frequent seem to do well in the folks they associate with.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    If I'm buying specialty gear or a special build item, I'd likely search online first. If I'm buying a stock weapon, I usually go to Bobs since he's less than 10 minutes from the house. I'm lucky to have 2 of the best shops in Indy area within a 15 minute drive (Bobs and Bradis). I work in Greenwood so I can frequent the 4 or 5 shops over there too.

Just depends really, but stock (new) firearms are one item I mostly buy local.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I will be the first to admit that I'm a demanding customer. I expect a fair price (not the lowest, necessarily, but fair), I expect good customer service, and I expect integrity. In return, I'm a loyal customer and am willing to steer others to a business. I've got some great LGS, but lately I find the vast majority of my business goes to USDS and Indy Trading Post. I've never made a friend shopping at a box store. Shopping (and hanging out) at USDS has led me to Loony1 and NHT3, both of whom are worth putting up with TAT7 to talk with....

Seriously, I've met some great people shopping at LGS's. Boomstick at Orion's is a member here, and the only reason I don't frequent him as much any more is the two hour drive. Dale at 256 Sport is such a character that I feel my life is richer just for knowing he exists.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will be the first to admit that I'm a demanding customer. I expect a fair price (not the lowest, necessarily, but fair), I expect good customer service, and I expect integrity. In return, I'm a loyal customer and am willing to steer others to a business. I've got some great LGS, but lately I find the vast majority of my business goes to USDS and Indy Trading Post. I've never made a friend shopping at a box store. Shopping (and hanging out) at USDS has led me to Loony1 and NHT3, both of whom are worth putting up with TAT7 to talk with....

Seriously, I've met some great people shopping at LGS's. Boomstick at Orion's is a member here, and the only reason I don't frequent him as much any more is the two hour drive. Dale at 256 Sport is such a character that I feel my life is richer just for knowing he exists.

:gheyhi:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've spent a little more on accessories and ammo to support my favorite local shops. But also because I don't have to wait a few days to have something I need or want right now. For me USDS is my absolute favorite hands down but I also like BGF because of the range and they are friendly. Accessory prices at bgf, not so much a fan.
    i don't really buy new guns just because I can save hundreds buying used on ingo. But I have found deals at USDS every time I've been in there, just didn't have the extra cash with the other items I was buying. And I ALWAYS buy when I'm there. The environment is friendly and knowledgable people are there. Always a good deal to be found! And they carry the specialty accessories I buy and are always willing to order anything. I don't blame them for charging tax because well they have to! Also they offer $15 transfers!!! Beat that!
    Also the AR -15 trigger jobs Mike offers can't be beat, and Charlie does an awesome job on the glocks! But mostly I enjoy the conversation with other gun guys and a sense of humor.

Sure I buy online too but only when it's a stupid good deal. By the time you pay shipping on normal priced stuff you could have walked out of USDS for cheaper because they price very well! It's the best shop I've found in all the years I've been a gun owner.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    I buy a fair amount of guns and accessories and my LGS matches internet pricing for me. If they can't match, they get close. I rarely have to actually buy online. They don't make as much per sale but they get volume. And I only buy from one rep, he treats me and the friends I send him well. I won't buy from anyone else. If he is busy with another customer, I'll wait. I've waited up to an hour. Trust and loyalty are built up over time.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I prefer to buy local even if I have to pay a little more , i am not talking a big box store I like the little guys that know my name ,has anybody been to a new store on south side off 37 called guns and ammo ?

Top Bottom