• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I'm 71 years young, I never put any firearm away without complete cleaning and lubing. My son & I had several guns we hadn't fired in many moons (in 4 gun safes) and spent a few hours re-cleaning & re-oiling these just a couple months ago. None had any rust spots, some did have some "sweating" of the bores and more black material showed up on the patches - these were WW1 & WW2 relics. I can proudly say every (used) gun we own is actually cleaner and in better shape then when we bought them. Aside from carry scratches, the new guns are in "like new condition". I also change the oil etc. in my car BEFORE I have any problems - for the same reasons.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I don't clean my guns (not a single one of them) unless #1 accuracy degrades, #2 performance degrades (cycling problems), or #3 I believe there may be an issue that could cause corrosion...

IMHO, those are the only 3 reasons why you would need to clean a gun... they're mechanical devices made to be used... I don't take my car's engine apart and clean it after every time I drive it so why would I do the same to a gun? I only take them apart when they no longer perform as they. they no longer function as they should, or I believe that not doing so will cause permanent damage (talking about car engines and guns alike)

You should clean your weapons because one day your life may depend on them.
    Think about that.:twocents:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I don't clean my guns (not a single one of them) unless #1 accuracy degrades, #2 performance degrades (cycling problems), or #3 I believe there may be an issue that could cause corrosion...

IMHO, those are the only 3 reasons why you would need to clean a gun... they're mechanical devices made to be used... I don't take my car's engine apart and clean it after every time I drive it so why would I do the same to a gun? I only take them apart when they no longer perform as they. they no longer function as they should, or I believe that not doing so will cause permanent damage (talking about car engines and guns alike)

this is EXACTLY my take on it as well.

Black powder or corrosive ammot gets cleaned every time. otherwise its when accuracy or reliability falls off.

I have almost 10,000 rounds through my cz452 varmint w/out a cleaning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I'm 71 years young, I never put any firearm away without complete cleaning and lubing. My son & I had several guns we hadn't fired in many moons (in 4 gun safes) and spent a few hours re-cleaning & re-oiling these just a couple months ago. None had any rust spots, some did have some "sweating" of the bores and more black material showed up on the patches - these were WW1 & WW2 relics. I can proudly say every (used) gun we own is actually cleaner and in better shape then when we bought them. Aside from carry scratches, the new guns are in "like new condition". I also change the oil etc. in my car BEFORE I have any problems - for the same reasons.

Right on the money. We clean our guns after every use just to inspect and insure they are sound. We have caught a few issues in the making this way over the years. .22's maybe not so much but no more than 2 outings and then cleaned. Our guns are an expensive hobby and we care for them just like we did the race cars when we had them, the boats and motorcycles as well. Good care=longer life. JMHO

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    My Dad is getting on in years. When we go to the range, I have to hover over him to ensure he keeps the muzzle pointed down-range. When he shoots bolt action rifles, he insists on picking up the rifle and manipulating the bolt, with the rifle pointed straight up. Don't know how many times he has whacked his thumb with the slide of a semi-auto pistol. I help Dad shoot first. Then, when he takes a rest, I get some range time in. I try to take him shooting on days/times when no one else will be on the range. Every trip is an adventure.

That's pretty excellent of you to take the time to help him continue to do something that he enjoys. Respect :ingo:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I kicked up a Marlin .22 out in the fields. It obviously had been there for a few years and it looked like a wrought iron fence. I brought it home to check it out. After scraping scale rust and a part-by-part cleaning I found the internals and bore to be perfect!

It appears that .22's are lubed with bee's wax. The bore and all internal parts were thickly caked with bullet lube and preserved perfectly, even after long enough to cake the outside with thick rust.

I stripped all rust with acid and gave it a thick coat of Rustoleum black iron fence paint. It looked HORRENDOUS with pits and etching yet was a perfectly functioning and extremely accurate .22 rifle.

I lost it when I loaned it to the brother-in-law that I suspect it belonged to in the first place and he has never returned it.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    I thought .22s were self-cleaning :dunno:

I got my Ruger Standard model from my grandfather in the same condition. After it fired out of battery due to build-up, flying brass creating a neato pattern on my hand, I decided to clean it thoroughly.

I needed a vice and a 2 lb hammer to get the receiver off the frame, and the crud was 1/2 inch think inside.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My dad died last year at 91. I never would have "confiscated" anything from him, especially any firearms. They wouldn't be worth it even if they rotted away in place instead.

Top Bottom