• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Does a 4" commander conceal any easier than a Full Sized 1911? Getting another 1911 and have always had full sized, and contemplating going the Commander route this time... FWIW I'm 6'1" 200lbs, mostly athletic build...:cheers:

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Get an Officer's size. I have got an Ultra Carry 3 in. that I conceal very easily. I am 5'7 150 lbs. It would disappear on you.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Does a 4" commander conceal any easier than a Full Sized 1911? Getting another 1911 and have always had full sized, and contemplating going the Commander route this time... FWIW I'm 6'1" 200lbs, mostly athletic build...:cheers:

I'm 6' 1" and 215.....I've carried a commander-sized 1911 for over 35 years, an have had no problem concealing it. I carry concealed, and in Indiana, when carrying one of my 5" 1911's, I don't try to flaunt it, but I really don't care if the bottom of the holster becomes visible now and then.

My answer to your question is... yes

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I used to carry a Commander many moons ago. It is better for carry than the full size when holstered while sitting in a vehicle.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm 6' 1" and 215.....I've carried a commander-sized 1911 for over 35 years, an have had no problem concealing it. I carry concealed, and in Indiana, when carrying one of my 5" 1911's, I don't try to flaunt it, but I really don't care if the bottom of the holster becomes visible now and then.

My answer to your question is... yes

I'm a little over 6', but not quite 6'-1", and just under 200 pounds, and I carry a full size 1911. When I carry concealed, I use IWB and I have no problems with it popping out. I'd imagine that the smaller version would be a bit easier, but I wouldn't expect it to be a huge difference. OP, you should be fine either way.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    YES, if it's an alloy frame lightweight Commander size gun. I had a Star PD once, a 4" Commander sized .45, that weighed 28 ounces. It was a pure joy to carry, and nice to shoot. MUCH nicer carry gun that my wife's 1911 that I cart around sometimes. I still wonder if I made a mistake trading that gun away.

As far as physical dimensions go, I find the full sized 1911 isn't particularly hard to carry, or conceal, but 3/4" or 1" less barrel length is a little easier, but not markedly so. To me, the real advantage comes with the alloy framed guns.

Top Bottom