• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I can agree with this philosophy. Why not buy both? A good pistol and snubby revolver both have a place. Oh, and a .38+P will make a grown man more then cry.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTMtMjAxMTA2MjMtMTcwOS5qcGc.jpg
    Now you're just trying to make me jealous! I got a chuckle out of $$buy both$$. Maybe once my husband recovers from me buying this one I'll sneak in there again and check out a .40 (or a 9 mm, if Bob doesn't think I can handle the .40 ;) ).

Seriously, thanks for the reassurance on the .38 +P. The only other handgun I've ever had is a .357 Colt Python and I never had any concerns about that stopping someone; it's just too bulky for me to carry on my person. I'm going to be biking regularly on the Monon Trail (which has become a hunting grounds for teenagers looking for a way to get money without actually working) and I don't plan on being the next person they shoot 8 times to steal a few bucks. That being said, any suggestions for carrying while on a bike? I bought a pancake holster for the .38 (one that's made for it), but I'm not confident I could get it out of the holster fast enough. It's really a tight fit. They sprayed it with silicone for me at PSS but it's still really tight. Bob suggested I heat it with a hairdryer with the pistol in it and that helped but not enough. I'm open to ideas.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I don't really care for pocket carry, but when I do, it is always with an S&W j frame .38 special.

The Kel-Tec PF9 seems to be a good little gun, but just feels a little cheap to me. But then a lot of people swear my that brand, so I may be missing out......

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    South Bend
    Picked up the LCP 380 for my wife on Saturday, but I may have to steal it from her. Breakdown is a snap. Haven't been to the range yet but all the reports are that it's pretty dang accurate. Even as small as it is in my big bear paw, I can still manage to grip it comfortably with the addition of the supplied magazine grip extension.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    That being said, any suggestions for carrying while on a bike? I bought a pancake holster for the .38 (one that's made for it), but I'm not confident I could get it out of the holster fast enough. It's really a tight fit.

Well, whenever I go for a run or a bike ride, I wear a 5.11 holster shirt (link). I used to carry a KelTec P-11, but it broke and I haven't had a chance to send it in yet. I bought a Taurus 740 recently that I plan on using instead.

It might not be as fast as you sound like you want, but it isn't too bad to get it out of the holster shirt even with another t-shirt over it. The holster shirt does a great job of keeping the pistol in place and easily accessible. I wouldn't want to carry something as big as a Glock 26, though. I think that the size of a 740/709/PF9/P-11 is about as big as you'd want to go with that. A snubby would probably be okay, too.

The only thing I can't talk about is how well that type of shirt would work for a woman, since your anatomy isn't quite the same as mine. ;) I would image that it would be okay for some women and not for others, and I have no idea where you would fit on that spectrum. So, I gave you my experience with it, and you can make your own judgements!

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    My choice is the Ruger LCP 380. Front pocket carry and no problems drawing and firing. People never even know its there.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I'm partial to the P32 for the simple reasons of low recoil and a slide lock. The only .380 that interests me is the Kahr, although it's more than twice the price of my .32.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Rather than type it again, please see my recent post on the thread "Question re Snub Nose Revolvers". I believe you will find it germain.

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    in semi auto i prefer the walther pps or sig p239 - both are single stack and carry very well. but my favorite pocket pistol is the hammerless j-frame, you barely even notice it yourself after carrying it awhile.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Well, whenever I go for a run or a bike ride, I wear a 5.11 holster shirt (link). I used to carry a KelTec P-11, but it broke and I haven't had a chance to send it in yet. I bought a Taurus 740 recently that I plan on using instead.

It might not be as fast as you sound like you want, but it isn't too bad to get it out of the holster shirt even with another t-shirt over it. The holster shirt does a great job of keeping the pistol in place and easily accessible. I wouldn't want to carry something as big as a Glock 26, though. I think that the size of a 740/709/PF9/P-11 is about as big as you'd want to go with that. A snubby would probably be okay, too.

The only thing I can't talk about is how well that type of shirt would work for a woman, since your anatomy isn't quite the same as mine. ;) I would image that it would be okay for some women and not for others, and I have no idea where you would fit on that spectrum. So, I gave you my experience with it, and you can make your own judgements!

When I ride my bicycle, I carry my G27 in a IWB holster. Doesn't bother me at all and doesn't appear to show under my shirt. Don't let anyone sell you a 9mm in place of a .40cal if that's what you think you want. They both shoot about the same. I'd say the G26 has more "snap" and the G27 has more "push".

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    If you want a tiny gun to carry in anything and not even know it is there. Then the .380's are good choice - ruger, tauras and kel-tecs are similer in price $250 or under. I bought the Taurus in strainless for $275 it think and it is 6+1 with an extra mag and like it for what it is. I have shot and the kel-tec ultra compact 9mm and it shoots great for a small gun but it is larger. - love the .380 for summer carry concealed gun though.

my :twocents:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

When I ride my bicycle, I carry my G27 in a IWB holster. Doesn't bother me at all and doesn't appear to show under my shirt. Don't let anyone sell you a 9mm in place of a .40cal if that's what you think you want. They both shoot about the same. I'd say the G26 has more "snap" and the G27 has more "push".

Just to clarify: when I said that I wouldn't want to carry something as big as a G26, I meant that I wouldn't want to try to carry something as big as a G26 *in the 5.11 holster shirt*. I realized that it might not have been clear, even though Blackhawk might have not made that misunderstanding at all.

And as a follow-up, I did get a chance to break in my 740, and it worked great. That's my new running/biking carry piece.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    buy a bunch of cargo pants with deeper pockets i pocket carry a glock23,and most other midsize/fullsize pistols i own. my advice is get a good pocket holster it helps protect your pocket from your gun

Top Bottom