Concealed Carry with a Class 3 weapon? (suppressed or F/A)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think it might be time to switch back to a 12g for home defense, even if im not as good with it, as 30 years in a federal prison doesn't sit well with me.

Keep in mind though, that is only if it is used in the commission of a crime...if you are using it for in home self defense it is unlikely that would come up (assuming everything is legal/NFA).

Still might look bad if the Prosecuter decides to make a case (like you mentioned)...IANAL YMMV

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I wouldn't do it, the coroner will strangle you when they have to clean up a BG with a load of crap in his pants.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    That's funny... I thought it was a LICENSE TO CARRY a HANDGUN... not a CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT.

You might wanna look into that.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    It seems silly to work hard, gain some personal wealth, hopefully have some preps for anticipated events, and then gamble it all by opening the door to a civil suit.

OP - if you are thinking about carrying a suppressor on your FN tactical pistol, I hope you have a long torso! Perhaps you can get you "Bond" on and still not be walking around with the suppressor attached. Keep it in a belt pouch. If you find yourself in a gunfight and feel the need to be quiet while shooting, I think you may have the time to thread it on. Gunfights by their nature are noisy messy things and I do not think it is bad they are noisy. It lets people know there is a problem and to get down/get away. The use of NFA items is a TACTICAL issue that you should take some time to plan and deploy.

Well said and very true on all counts. Even made me chuckle a bit. Thanks for that! This thread was an example of me playing devil's advocate. The idea here wasn't that I want to carry any of what I listed. The idea is, could a guy, if he wanted to, do so and do it legally. Rep inbound BTW.
    And, I don't own and FNP45 Tactical, or any suppressor..... yet.

Last edited:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Ya wouldn't carry NFA stuff
    Thread revivals are always the best for a one-liner! Come on JB add a little bit more than that! We are not fans of one liners in the NFA Section, if you are going to do that at least place it in the General Political Discussion forum and get someone really stirred up about it.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Well said and very true on all counts. Even made me chuckle a bit. Thanks for that! This thread was an example of me playing devil's advocate. The idea here wasn't that I want to carry any of what I listed. The idea is, could a guy, if he wanted to, do so and do it legally. Rep inbound BTW.
    And, I don't own and FNP45 Tactical, or any suppressor..... yet.

Figured you were playing devil's advocate, but made a good discussion and Thanks.

Have friend in another state, that went with a high end SBS in 20ga for home defense, his wife handles it better and he figures is worth the risk. As in all thinks you have to balance the cost benefit ratio and make you own call.

The FN45 with suppressor, during normal times, did not appear to be have enough advantages and would stick with just the FN45 myself (if all hell breaks loose can always toss the can in ;-). Similarly instead of going with a SBR Uzi, ad a 16" barrel and the gun is Tittle 1 for the time being (still an evil black gun but at least Tittle 1) and use that vs the much larger 12 ga.

Myself might have once used a NFA weapon as a carry gun (ok just in the truck), having just loaned my SP101 to a friend for his wife to try. Been years ago and If I brought the semi pack then would have taken the sear pack out and removed the stock and K grip, then had a really large 9mm SP89 for the rest of the trip, however, might have been the MP5K-PDW set on semi with a 15 round mag, but been too many years.

Take Care

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Ya wouldn't carry NFA stuff

Thread revivals are always the best for a one-liner! Come on JB add a little bit more than that! We are not fans of one liners in the NFA Section, if you are going to do that at least place it in the General Political Discussion forum and get someone really stirred up about it.

He's going to hit that 50 post mark in no time at this rate :laugh:. Wonder what he's got to sell?!

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Thought I should add to the necropost from an article I read about a year ago by Massad Ayoob. Great article on NFA items being used but also shows the cost, and the person wasn't carrying the weapon for self-defense, it was a weapon of opportunity for him.

"F you and your high powered rifle!" The Gary Fadden incident - The Ayoob files | American Handgunner | Find Articles

Just read it, definitely a good read and should be what anyone thinks about when they think to use a NFA item as self defense. Don't get me wrong, if there is no other option, then certainly use it. However, I feel that if you are carrying something NFA on a daily basis for protection, you are in for a long painful process if you have to use it.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    So basically if the jury knows you used an "evil" weapon during a situation where you had to defend your life you are basically screwed? A jury could see a legaly owned ak47 not even full auto to be considered a weapon of a bad guy per say?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Depends on the situation. As someone said before the jury can look at it as though you went out looking for a situation for you have an opportunity to shoot someone.

Juries do stupid things all the time. Case in point. A couple weeks ago a jury found a murderer not guilty of the crime. The evidence was bad guy sent a man a few text messages stating he was on his way to kill him as he drove to his house. He admitted to driving to the mans house and pulling the trigger during the police interview. He hit the man with 2 rounds and the 3rd hit the ground in front of him as he was going inside his house. Man died instantly. In court the defense argued that since he stated he closed his eyes the second he pulled the trigger he didn't knowingly and intentionally murder the victim. The jury told the prosecution after the case that you can't really know you're going to hit someone unless you look where you're shooting.

Go shopping at walmart, and pick a dozen random people (and don't hang out in the ammo section as that's cheating). If you feel that all those folks (the 22 year old stoner, the 67 year old grandmother, the war veteran, etc etc) would vote in your favor then you're good. Keep in mind though that there are even people here that have pre-made up their minds as to what there decision will be on certain issues. Spend any time in the political section and you'll see statements like, "ohhh i wish i could sit on that jury" and other statements implying that they would give a guilty/innocent verdict based solely on the opinion of a strongly biased newspaper article. Therefore there are people who don't care what the facts end up being, if they don't like you based on your beliefs, or whatever, that may become an issue. Jurors are selected by both sides, half the jurors believe that if a cop locks you up you're guilty, the other half thinks all cops are liars. Whatever side you end up on, you'll have to convince the 50%

It's all totality of the circumstances. If you shoot someone breaking into your house with a suppressed Glock there probably won't be an issue. However if you're from Bloomington and you drive to a seedy bar in Indy with a suppressed FA Mac 10 and find what appears to be rape (forcible felony) going on in the parking lot... If you decide to cut a zipper up the guys back...as said before, it may look to a jury as you went out looking for someone to kill.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    How about an unconventional non-NFA weapon like an mp5k pistol or HK53 pistol?

Have both and can't think of many cases where would rather have the SP89 over a 15 round "classic" handgun (if one can call a Glock a classic hand gun with out being stoned by the 1911 guys ;-).

Now for the HK53 pistol or the the Pistol AR15 either of these might and I say might, have a positive in that you can carry them with your permit .. most likely and at least this week ... Tatically would rather have a SBR HK53 with the A3 stock, but that is not allowed (to the best of my understanding) as a carry gun, plus all the earlier NFA Tittle II firearm issues.

On another note had though of having a pistol AR or HK or AK with a loaded mag and several more loaded mags for the pistol plus one empty mag for the rifle behind the seat of the truck (or trunk if you have to have a car ;-) .... but most thinks can be settled with the J frame S&W and either the M92 or P220 (FNX 45 on order to replace the HK Mark23).

Take Care

Top Bottom